BMW shutting down Moss System?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by inthered, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Exactly !

MOSS = Motorrad ONLINE Service System, only works fully when the bike is hooked up online to the server at BMW Munich. Now that BMW have discontinued support, there is no hook-up.
    The problem is dealers are still 'pretending' to fix the bikes and perform MOSS functions when in reality all they can do is read codes and reset, which is what the GS-911 also claims to be able to do too.
    ray_ray likes this.
  2. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    I hate to be a party pooper here but the OSS system carries all the baggage (model data) from the old MOSS system. It will recognise the TR650 and will do both programming and diagnostics work on the TR650.....I know this because I have had it done recently and I watched it happening. The problem is getting a BNM Motorrad dealer to commit to helping you. They can all gay about it this because its not a Bimmer....so you need one with a sympathetic ear who is prepared to help out. The new system being offered by KTM to Husky dealers is from BMW, basically its an OSS system in every respect with all the data is coming from BMW...it cant be any other way, BMW will not release their code to ANYONE.
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Latest info for Moss/oss for the USA, may apply in other countries as well.

I spoke with Brain at Halls in Illinois, and this is the scoop. Halls does not moss or upload any new mapping. What they do is authorize their BMW dealer (local) to do the work and sends the bike to them.

He said that any BMW dealer should be able to do your bike, with the Husqvarna authorization to work on it. What it will cost you is another story LOL.

So I stopped by my Husky and Beemer dealers today...

Edit: Husky dealer says the new KTM diagnostics recognize and fix related things on the TR650's. I grilled on the mapping and ecu/dash changes and they did not have a clue. Their mechanic is going to go to school to learn the new system in the next month or so.

BMW has no Idea, but they sent off emails to see what the story was.
    Mark_H likes this.
  4. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yesterday I got some update on the information from my local dealer (aka seller, aka ????) here in Cebu and I found it quite unbelievable.

I was actually asking as to when they will have the new KTM OSS computer set up so as to be able to give my Nuda 900R its warranty service and register it on the system properly.
    I was told by the Manager of the KTM side of the company.....

"As we are dealers for KTM and Husqvarna, but also offer service to all brands of bikes, we will be installing a completely new 'multi brand' computer system which we will then use to do the servicing on your Nuda and also your TR650 sir, this will be available at the end of next month, January"

Me: Ok but what about the factory registration of the bike (Nuda) to confirm warranty details etc, obviously if your new system is not hooked up to the KTM OSS it will not be able to do that.

"Don't worry about that sir, we still have the BMW MOSS system in operation to perform the manufacturers registration and upgrading whenever it is required"

Me: What registration and upgrading can you actually do because the MOSS is no longer online to BMW in Munich is it. (Thinks, let's just see what they try to sell me)

"Sir, your bikes were designed and built by BMW and their Factory MOSS System takes care of everything, I assure you it works very well"

Me: OK so I really need to bring the TR650 and the Nuda to you guys to get all this done asap then.( Not really !)

Clearly these people have no idea of the actual status of their redundant MOSS System and still want to charge money for use of it.

I also saw when I was there, a WiFi GS-911 with BMW plugs and they definitely had a KTM Factory computer set up with manufacturers software on a tablet that they hooked up to a brand new KTM Duke and did some form of initialisation service and registration before the new owner took the bike home.

So, where are we really?

Has anyone any further news as to whether a bona fide KTM dealer is able to fully service and actually update the ECU firmware on a TR650 to the latest version. What evidence is there of the firmware update actually having been successfully performed and everything working as it should do?

I get the idea that the KTM guys here do not know what they have to get or do to help us with our TR650s and it is possible they may be able to do more than they think they can, but I know it will never be with a MOSS like they seem to think.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  5. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    A KTM Dealer who installs the their new system and invests in the Vehicle Interfaces needed to connect to the 10 pin plug on the Terra/Nuda can diagnose and program the ECU's, it has been in the threads here for months, see the posts from EngineerK9

If the dealership you were talking to is also a BMW Dealer then they will have the updated BMW Diagnostics/Programming System which is capable of full diagnosis and programming if the Dealer log ins are given the rights to access the Husky models. I noticed yesterday a Husky Dealer here had arranged for one of our BMW Dealers to take a look at a machine and do some diagnosis and programming.

The GS911 is currently capable of reading/clearing faults and rest of service indicator as well as real time logging, used one yesterday diagnosing a problem on a Terra, the component triggering routines will be implemented in the new year along with a couple of BMW models which use the same routines.

I would not be so cynical re what the Dealer has told you, ask them if they can to a check on one of your machines and provide the operations report
    engineerk9 likes this.
  6. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Agreed and like i said, they may well be able to do more than they think they can with the equipment they have, but they are most definitely not a BMW dealer !
  7. Recluse Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gilera Ice
    Has anyone been able to get an ECU update recently?
    I contacted all Husqy dealers here in the Netherlands with no luck, one even said he contacted the Husqvarna representative himself.
    According to him BMW has whiffed the transfer of files and that Husqvarna has no access to them.

I've found a BMW dealer nearby who is atleast willing to take a look at it but I'm afraid w'll just hit another dead end.
  8. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    It is available in Australia.
    In January this year KTM issued a reminder to TR650 owners that a national safety recall was outstanding on vehicles that had not had this performed. Owners are advised to take the bike to an authorized Husqvarna dealer.
    I have elected to not have the remap done. I have ridden a couple of bikes that have had it done and my impressions were that the motor felt "doughy" and lacked the crispness that my motor exhibits. Sure, my motor is a little finicky on occasions, threatens to stall on take-off etc. but not dangerously to me. I guess I've learnt to ride around it and know when to expect it.
    In saying that, the remap does completely tame the stalling issue and the running is very smooth & confident, just not my cup of tea.....
  9. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    I agree. The original map when I purchased the bike was the best for response and power. Except the occasional stall pissed me off.
  10. Recluse Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gilera Ice

Just came home from the BMW dealer and appearently the bike was already running the latest ECU version (atleast the one they have access to) so the stalling/poor performance in the bottom RPM's is not due the ECU never being updated.
    They did mention it is a known behaviour from this engine, the g650gs also has these complaints.
    On the up side, BMW was able to read and program the ECU in case it would have been an outdated version. They also cleared the adaptation tables and she does seem to run a tad bit better.

Guess I'll look into a pod mod and better spark plugs next before I go the spoofer route because she is running very well outside of the occassional stall.
  11. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Don't mess with the air box unless it is letting dust in. I got good results with the Pulstar plugs. I'd never use a spoofer.
  12. wssl Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I posted a message on your profile as well: I'm desperately searching for a mechanic in the Netherlands, who can update my Terra. Could you tell me which dealer you contacted for this?
  13. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    In the meantime, you can try to clean your IACV mounted next to the throttle body. When dirty or malfunctioning it can have a huge impact on engine behaviour as you describe.

A couple of years ago, my bike started performing very poorly, stalling, stuttering until it finally threw an ECU code and would hardly run.

Luckily I got it home and dismantled the bike to check plugs, coils, connectors, & valves etc. I decided to have a closer look at this IACV and after dismantling it (very easy) I noticed it was very dusty and jammed. After a thorough cleaning & lubrication with light oil I reassembled the bike and presto!

The bike still carries on a bit, as it always did from new, but that's the nature of the big thumper.

Now once a year or so when I pull the bike apart for a thorough cleaning I always remove it and give it a good clean & a little light lube. While I'm in there I'm also checking the air box for dust leaks and cleaning the throttle body, coolant change, air filter service and clean, clean, clean!

It's worth a try.....