BMW shutting down Moss System?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by inthered, Apr 29, 2015.

1. inthered Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Shopping
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki
    So excuse my ignorance as I am new on here and thinking of buying a TR650. After reading hours of threads here I started calling BMW and Husky dealers in the Southeast US to see if anyone had the ability to update, read or do resets on the ECU. I could not find anyone in SC, NC or GA that had the Moss tool to work on this bike. I did find one knowledgeable service manager that had sold many TR650's before it went to KTM and he told me the following. BMW is shutting down the Moss system this month. Even if you can find a dealer with the tool he will not be able to use it on the BMW system. KTM has not taken responsibility for this yet and come up with a way to read these ECU's. I cant believe that BMW is abandoning the customers that bought a product that they owned two years ago. I am hesitant to buy one of these bikes without a way to get into the ECU if needed. Some said an aftermarket tool may be developed in the future. Again please excuse me if any of these terms are incorrect I am just trying to get informed before a purchase and looking for any insight you guys might have. Thanks.
  2. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    My understanding is that MOSS is going to be replaced by a new diagnostic system that is going to be billed depending on usage. Apparently many smaller dealers were fed up with the upfront price of MOSS, so BMW has introduced a new pricing scheme for a more predictable ROI.
  3. Heavyhauler Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD Screaming Eagle Road Glide
    According to the same source, the new BMW tool won't work on the Husky because BMW did not load any of the Husky serial numbers into the new system, so they could pass the buck to KTM. Truth or bull?
  4. Xtyling Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kymco
    By passing the buck do you mean BMW will sell the MOSS system to Husky or KTM? If so, i doubt that. Unless they can disable all BMW serial numbers. Otherwise that would open up a can of worms for their operations.
    I'm hoping that some good people crack the TR650 hex code fast.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  5. Farmer John Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 WR250, 01 KTM 400MXC
    He is wrong.
    The new system recognizes every historic BMW manufactured vin (this includes the 650 & 800cc Husqvarnas).
    I work at San Jose BMW & did a little research with both our current & former FSE's.
    Next and Xtyling like this.
  6. Heavyhauler Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

No, by passing the buck, I mean BMW doesn't want to provide service that it would seem they should be obligated to provide for at least 10 years for something a company (Husqvarna) they owned built with a lot of their proprietary BMW parts and KTM who now owns Husqvarna doesn't want to provide servvice for something built before they bought the company that has proprietary BMW parts. KTM may be no more able to obtain the proprietary stuff than you or I???
    engineerk9 likes this.
  7. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050

So BMW dealers with the new/current system can service our bikes?
  8. Farmer John Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 WR250, 01 KTM 400MXC
    If they are a BMW & Husqvarna dealer, yes.
  9. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    If that is the case I am surprised the OP did not find that BMW of Atlanta say that they can still service the bikes.

Curious, why do they have to be a BMW/Husky dealer since Husky is not related to BMW anymore?
    It would seem if all the vins are in the system, anyone with it should be able to.
  10. Heavyhauler Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I guess the only question I have is there any reason to have to have a MOSS tool in the first place? Doesn't the Power Commander or some of the other tuning tools negate the need for the MOSS?
  11. Farmer John Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 WR250, 01 KTM 400MXC
    That was my thought and direct question to the FSE's.
    All I got in reply is that it was direct from AG...
  12. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    There are a couple of organisations looking at hex codes etc, my understanding is that none are ready to market

Here in Australia, the BMW/Husky deal stinks, neither BMW nor Husky importers want anything to do with the TR's Stradas or Nudas - it would appear that the Husky dealers selling the TRs didn't have the technical expertise to understand the "intelligent" ecu's (or the interest)

There are a number of add-ons "spoofs" that do improve the running, however none (as far as I can ascertain) have proved fool proof or long-term reliable

From my own experience, a GPR exhaust (or similar) the air filter mod (Pod mod) is critical, see the thread - then a set of Brisk spark plugs

Possibly improves things well enough to at least make my TR ride-able, once on the road (especially dirt) the bike comes into it's own

I'm persevering with mine, for better or worse

I can always take my ZRX1100 for a blast, blow the cobwebs out

If I was to start again, I'd go for the Suzuki 400
    mag00 likes this.
  13. Heavyhauler Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

I sold my DRZ400 and bought the Husky. My Husky had a WUKA on it when I bought it. I have ridden it about 1500 miles so far and no issues and could not be happier. I did the airbox mod and the cannister removal as soon as I got it. "In the Red", author of the thread, liked my Terra and was considering buying one, but read all these MOSS threads and got cold feet. He sold his DRZ and bought a 650 BMW instead.
    mag00 and Xtyling like this.
  14. Xtyling Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kymco
    I don't have anything worth considering to compare against the TR650.. But I'd just like to know what about the Husky Terra TR650 is better and worse than the DRZ400.. I don't want to hijack or go off tangent from this thread so if you could please PM me or post your reply in the appropriate thread, I would greatly appreciate it.
  15. Heavyhauler Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

It boils down to what you plan to do with the bike. Only complaints I had with my DRZ400S was the seat on long rides, and the fact that I personally consider the DRZ about a 30% street and 70% dirt type bike, and of course all bikes seem to have a laundry list of mods the factory should have done to which the DRZ and the Terra are no exception. Oh yeah, the DRZ needs a 6 speed transmission. The Terra IMO has the smoothest running single I've seen, with plenty of power and the gear spacing in the trans matches it so that it will get down and pull like a tractor in 1st, yet cruise down the road at 70 without wringing the tach off. It has a low cg so it doesn't feel as heavy as it is, so for me it is a 50/50 ride anywhere within reason type of dualsport/adventure bike. Just wish they would have made them longer.
    engineerk9 and Xtyling like this.
  16. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Back to the topic: BMW shutting down the MOSS system.
    In Australia the bikes were orginally distributed by the Paul Feeney Group (PFG) and I spoke with them again yesterday in regards to the replacement diagnostic tool.
    Basically the dealers with the MOSS system can no longer connect into BMW online.
    The dealers can at a cost get a disc from PFG and install it on there existing equipment - this will be called OSS - however it is a basic windows 7 version and does not have the full functionality of the MOSS system. One function that is missing will be to reset the service light - you need to take the bike to the BMW dealer to get it reset! BMW dealers that I have spoke with will not touch the bike, so the alternative is to wait for the development/release of the 911 tool for our bike, this will hopefully have the functionality to reset the service light and read fault codes.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  17. JTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR, Ducati Scrambler
    Terra was having the 3,000 RPM dead spot issue last fall. I could not find any dealers in NC, SC GA and VA who could MOSS Her. I stopped by the "New" Husky dealer in Denver NC, Palmer Motorsports. The owner (Todd) and I both reached out to Husky and with some back and forth with Husky, Andy Jefferson at Husky came up with a plan; I dropped Terra off at Palmer Motorsports, they removed her brain, put it in a box and shipped it to Husky. Husky flashed it with their computer in California and shipped it back to Palmer. Note, the guys at Husky had some doubts about how successful this was going to be as Terra has a booster plug and GRP header with single exhaust and has had a canectomy. End result Terra now runs like a dream and has more power that it's ever had.
    isldtime likes this.
  18. Xtyling Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kymco
    JTM can you please share more details?
    1. Where in California was your Husky Terra's brain shipped to and flashed? I'd like them to do the same for me.
    2. How many miles have you logged on since the brain flash and can you give more ride reports?
  19. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    I would be interested in hearing more also. Would really like to know if it can be done directly by the customer. My dealer didn't even know what a "Moss" was......
  20. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    My dealer (Hall's in Springfield, IL) did the same thing for me last fall when their Moss tool couldn't connect. I don't know where in California they sent it though.