BMW shutting down Moss System?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by inthered, Apr 29, 2015.

1. ayrton63 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 EXC-F
    I went my bike to the only one BMW dealer with moss system in Athens.
    The owner is the best mechanic for BMW in Greece.
    I know him 30 years now from the days i own BMW.
    He put my new bike with the accelerator module installed in the computer.
    The bike ask for update and i saw the prosedure.
    The bike is exactly the same as before.
    He said that BMW makes a crime with Husqvarna.
    The data for Huskys was closed till some time but now they have access again but......all the data are old!!!
    Nobody cares about this bikes anymore.
    The local dispidutor do the same.
    He waits for some parts for a Nuda 1 month now and nothing.
    That is the situation.
    He was very sad about this because he loves the brand and said that it is not fair for a historic brand like Husky.

My bike with 3000 km only start to stall again when the weather becomes hot here in Athens.
    Any ideas?
  2. JTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR, Ducati Scrambler

1. The guy at Husqvarna Motorcycles NA that handles Tech support for Italian motorcycles is Charles Jirsa. He is hard to get in contact with, my understanding is that Charles is the only person doing Tech support for Italian Husqvarna motorcycles in North America. Charles reports to Andy Jefferson. I don't know what address in CA it was shipped to, I don't know if they will allow a non-dealers to send it to them. I would ask your local dealer if they would reach out to Charles and try to set something up.

2. It had a little over 1,000 miles when the flash was done, now it has almost 2,000. I have been riding in cold 45f and warm 85f weather, the problem has not returned.
  3. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E
    Never been MOSS'd and I'm close to 10,000 kms. No dealer in Canada can do it for me and I don't want the CEL light on for the rest of the bike's life. Very interested in the California details.
  4. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I spoke the the service dept at Wagner Motorsports in Worchester MA, they have a MOSS tool and can clear my dash wrench, only 305 miles oneway
  5. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    no they can't as BMW no longer supports it, called again today talked to the service rep, about that time the KTM Husky rep walked in, his reply soon very soon we will have a tool to look into and reset the TR650
  6. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Actually they can...
    As far as I see it from information obtained from other owners here is that our non BMW but 'Husky dealer' (AKA seller) still has a MOSS Tool and is basically pretending to MOSS bikes.
    When it was previously online to BMW they were charging 2500 pesos to do a full MOSS which may or may not have included a map update if one was applicable, this also gave them error code info and they performed resets etc.

Now their MOSS unit is no longer online to BMW they are saying that they can MOSS the bike and they go through the same motions.
    They still get the error code info and can reset service indicator etc, but there is no connection to Motorrad and of course no further updates to map, and guess what...they still charge the same 2500 pesos to perform the act.
  7. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    I can confirm any BMW Motorcycle Service Center running MOSS Tool V17 can "diagnose" and "program" the TR650.

The latest DME (ECU MAP) is #8543015. This has not changed for many months and this was latest ECU MAP on the old red and white Husky dealers V14 MOSS Tool.

I am also lead to believe any new "blue and white" Husky dealer, provided they have purchased the latest MOSS Tool can also "diagnose" and "program" the TR650.

I use the terms "diagnose" and "program" because these are the two separate parts to the operation of the MOSS Tool...each must opened and run.
    engineerk9 and PaulC like this.
  8. snail_72 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650
    I have just picked my bike up from the shop. A. The dash was replaced and B. the bike de-restricted the bike had to be taken to a BMW dealership for that work to be done. Note i have only rode the bike 2 kms home and really couldn't open her up. will let update when i can go for a real ride.
    PaulC likes this.
  9. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    Just curious if you tried Eurosport in Asheville as they are BMW dealer and are still supporting Husky. They better as they sold about 30-40 TR's and will have a lot of pissed off clients in the area.

I had a poor experience with Palmer a few months ago but if they are willing to provide support for the red Huskys then I may need to give him another chance.
  10. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    We did get a TR650/hts/ibeat like adapter to use with our Husqvarna/Husaberg/KTM diagnostic tool a couple weeks back and it works for basic diagnostics and resets . Charles says they are working to get the rest of it so it can work like before and don't toss the MOSS it may still come back. We were removing fault codes on BMWs with our MOSS so im sure a BMW dealer can do it if they are willing.They really are working to keep up support for these bikes that new adaptor for the current tool took some work to get in operation so it shows they are not just cutting the cord.
  11. Soggy Dog Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650, Vitpilen
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX300, 17 KTM SFX 450
    The moment the MOSS is up or I can otherwise get my Strada flashed, I will be at Bill's doorstep! I have the same off idle flat spot and 3k stumble driving my batshit crazy. I'm planning a week long trip through Nevada on the 20th, hell or high water, but I'd love to get it figured out before then.
    Thanks for the update Bill!

(edit: Booster plug is installed)
  12. JTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR, Ducati Scrambler

Eurosports in Asheville was going to be my next stop but since I live in South Charlotte, Denver was a lot closer.
    I agree that Todd at Palmer can be an acquired taste...
    turtlemoye likes this.
  13. AJM6000 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley Davidson FLTRX & Ducati 749s
    Booster Plug installed???
  14. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Hexcode have released updated GS911 firmware and also a new public beta of the PC software, both have support for the Terra/Nuda

Links to their web site with the Terra, Strada and Nuda and NudaR suppport are below
    mag00 likes this.
  15. Heavyhauler Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD Screaming Eagle Road Glide
    The originator of the thread got the info for his post from the service manager in Asheville. He told him they couldn't/ wouldn't work on the TR, so the guy bought a BMW instead. A seller in FL brought him a TR and he backed out because of what Asheville told him.
  16. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    A BMW dealer in Sydney has confirmed that their functionality continues with their systems to run diagnostics on TR's & Nudas, ie. read & reset fault codes, service reminders etc. No support will be given to any programming functions such as software updates.

Basically they can service our bikes but cannot update maps etc.
  17. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Yep that is about the long and short of it, ie none of the 'online' part of the MOSS System and a GS-911 can do pretty much the same.
    It is a pity that some dealers seem to think they can offer MOSS support and charge as if they do, but in reality until Husqvarna gets its act together we are all in the same sunken boat. After all, how long has it been now since MOSS was actually discontinued for the T650 ?? How long have we been waiting and how much longer..........?
  18. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750

TR650. Thats not quite right. There are two parts to the MOSS System, Diagnostics and Programming. If this a true BMW Motorcycle dealer their system will do both which means if a new ECU (DME) Map later than #8543015 (there have been three I know of to date) is released it can be installed or if a new ECU (DME) or Dash is needed they can do this with the "Programming" part of the MOSS. But there is also something very important that the your dealer needs to reset....the "Adaption tables" these need to be reset, and as I suspect many bikes have not had this done before delivery and this has a HUGE bearing on how they run going forward and may explain why some around the world go well and some don't......I am working on this watch my future posts.
    engineerk9 and Mark_H like this.
  19. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Thanks Kiwi.
    I'm only the messenger here.
    Quite likely they have the capabaility to program but due to to risk & liability won't do it without any disclaimer or assumption of risk by the customer.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  20. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    No, they can't program.
    Quite simply, a BMW-dealer has the hardware (cables/sockets/plugs etc) to physically plug in a TR/Nuda, quite possibly read "status and error codes", but can not program anything at all.
    Anything involving programming required an online data-session with the Husky-MOSS system at BMW-Munich. Which doesn't exist anymore!
    No data from Munich = no programming. Simple.

The new OSS replacement is very similar, with data coming now from KTM. Which does require a new software package to be bought/installed + used by the dealer in order to communicate with the new KTM-based OSS system. Any BMW dealer still has the correct hardware, but also needs the Husky-specific OSS software communicating with the KTM-base.
    ANY dealer with both, software+hardware, is able to hook up and program.
    And that comes down to a simple equation...."is there enough business around to warrant spending the $$ on software (+ hardware, if needed)"?

So it's up to the dealer to make the decision.
    Some have (at least in some countries), some never will, some previously non-Huski-ites might jump aboard....time will tell.
    ray_ray likes this.