1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Beware all 13 redhead owners. Blown hose & more

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by fire1998, Feb 22, 2014.

1. brentk660 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 txc310r
    I just checked my 13 310, the hose was rubbing on the head where the OP's was. Luckily you can move the clamp a few mm's and make it the only contact point. Metal to metal is better than a cut hose I suppose. But you couldn't slide a piece of paper between the two. Dumb design. Eliminating the thermostat and going to a TC hose setup would be beneficial.
  2. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Yes. I did just that and after removing the OEM cooling hose assembly and staring at it in disbelief for 15 minutes, it found it's way in the trash pile...
    [IMG]
  3. brentk660 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 txc310r
    I dont understand flow in that design......haha.
    bigjon likes this.
  4. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    There is a thermostat in there that directs the fluid from the engine case to recirculate in the block until it reaches set temperature then once the temp is reached it opens and allows flow to the rads. I think it's more of an emissions thing than a necessity.
  5. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Drain back kit in hand and about to do my first oil change. I am assuming that the hose that runs to the bottom of the case now needs to run to Zip Ty's drain-back/fill fitting. I am planning to do this without stripping off the plastic and tank, if possible, as I'm pressed for time this week. What's the best route for the drain hose? On the left side of the header as stock, or pull out the hose and fish it down on the right side. Those who have done this want to share?
    itsHud likes this.
  6. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, it is obvious how to run the line once it is pulled out and cut. All is good now, except.....

My brand new Scotts SS filter seems to be a little loose. It measures the same height as the stock filter, but the grommet does not fit tight to the spigot on the filter housing lid. It is not sloppy loose, and only has barely perceptible play, but any seal will be between the flat of the lid and the flat of the grommet. I am worried that the oil might be able to short circuit. When bolting on the lid, there is no push back from the spring washer so I don't know how well the flats will seal. I wonder if I could swap grommets with the paper filter. 'May have to try that.

Tinken, or any other Scotts users, any thoughts?
  7. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Sorry but I use the PC version. Prior to that I used the hiflo paper type. Never tried the Scott's one. Is it specifically designed for your bike or does it say Honda CRF250x
  8. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    The Scotts is listed for the 310. I decided in use one of my spare K&N paper filters for now and work this out with Scotts. The K&N was a little looser on the spigot than the stock (Hi Flo?) but still fit pretty well. Gotta sort this out!
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Just make sure you use the spring behind it. Pressure so low, it's not going to go around the grommet.
  10. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

My K&P Engineering stainless filter fit nice and snug. What pressures does the X-Lite oil pump run at?
  11. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    That looks just like the Scott's. Sure they are not the same?
  12. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

I believe they are, but mine fits just fine. In fact, after it has been exposed to hot oil, it fits pretty snug.
  13. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good news. Bike survived 2 hour race yesterday. Bike ran great. Wish I could say the same about me. I have to drain oil and coolant. Got home late last night. I think it's leaking coolant into oil. Not sure it is but I have a hunch. Looked bike over quickly and .......hope I'm wrong!
    LandofMotards likes this.
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    fire 1998, me 2 rode the western HS yesterday @ 3hr 12 mile loop 4lap race pros were on 30 min laps. TXC310R ran great and strong!! She is now offiically retired and going up for sale!!
  15. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great news!! My hunch was wrong and bike is good to go. No oil or water leaks. I'm am still amazed at the beating this motor took and is still running great. 2 hour Race on Sunday and the bike ran flawless. 1 stall and it was my fault. I'm still planning on sending motor to ZipTy but am having a hard time trying to find time to take motor out, ship it and wait 3 or 4 weeks for it to be gone thru. I changed oil twice after big heat cycle. I just drained oil again after 2 hour race and it was black. The oil takes a beating in these motors at race pace. Wonder if an oil cooler would help oil survive a bit longer?
    michiganguy, Tinken and Motosportz like this.
  16. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Glad to hear your bike is OK. They are definitely hard on oil.
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    They get their oil extremely hot. Thinner, high flowing oil is a must.
    You should steal Robert's 310R away from him.
  18. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

Is 10W30 synthetic too thin?
    itsHud likes this.
  19. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    That's a relative question. What you are really asking me is how far below 13cSt@100°C can we go and still maintain enough pressure?
  20. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Honestly, I am not sure. I know that Kelly ran his 511 for several thousand miles with 12.5cSt@100°C (10W30), but that engine has dual Eatons and is not a 310. SS filter, crank mod and opening the lower passage way, maybe. And that's assuming the oil of choice didn't fall way out of specification @150°C. Would require testing.