1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Any experiance with double map switch on TE 250/310?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Bernie, May 12, 2009.

1. tcstonkers Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have one but I cant notice the difference

Hi All,
    I have an 09 310 with the genuine switch fitted. It is just a normally open push button switch with no resistors in line. I am still running in the motor and have had no mud to test it in but on a sandy track I could not notice much difference. You can easily toggle from sel1 to 2 and back on the fly so it is possible to change just for a creek crossing. The rev limiter may be lower but as I am running in I am not pushing that hard...and it has more than enough power compared to my XR400 even at mid range revs.:thumbsup: I asked the Australian distributor if the switch changes ignition and/or fuel metering, they said "I believe it is altering the ignition timing only" not a definitive answer but prob right.
    I will give it a further testing in a couple of weeks
    Cheers
    Tony
  2. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

Just worth noting that as Dave mentioned earlier, there are some conditions according to the '09 workshop manual:

"The switching to SEL 2 is possible with ENGINE ON, pushing the “dual mode” button for 1 second, with a water temperature of approx. 40°C / 104°F and approx. 10 seconds after the engine start. In the absence of these conditions, the switching will not be made. From SEL 2, pushing the “dual mode” button for 1 second, SEL 1 is selected again, and so on."

Nothing there that's likely to be a problem in normal riding, other than if you've only just started up.

I don't watch it every time but my display ('09 TE450) does usually go through the "SEL2", "FAIL", "SEL1" sequence at switch on and did even when new, and it runs fine so I assume that's normal.

I have the switch fitted and it does make the power delivery feel noticeably less aggressive in map 2.

Tony2K, I don't know for sure but I believe it's a momentary switch, i.e. one which only makes contact while it's actually pushed in and is open the rest of the time. The workshop manual shows it being connected to a white, two-pin connector which is behind the headlight carrier so you need to unfasten the carrier to get to it. It says to "Remove the plug on the cable located behind the headlamp carrier.", which I think means there should be a dummy plug in the connector to keep it dry and clean, so you take out the dummy plug and connect the cable from the switch in its place. Of course, the "Dual Mode" switch Husky will sell you has the correct plug on the end of the cable ready to fit into that connector, otherwise you'd need to get a plug of the right type from somewhere.
  3. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I dont know why anyone would want LESS power on a TE250 to begin with?
  4. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

Good point! :lol:

Although the map switch is fitted, even on my TE450 I haven't felt the need to use it for real, only to try it out. I have a G2 throttle cam and with that I haven't found the bike too hard to control yet even when it's muddy. Course, we've had a pretty dry year around here so when the mud gets much worse in the winter the soft map may come into its own.
  5. seredyns Husqvarna
    AA Class

I ordered one back when I purchased my 310 and it's been sitting on my workbench since simply because I have not seen the need for it yet. I have ridden the 310 in very muddy wet roots and rocks and find the power to be very smooth. I am also using the DBkiller which does smooth out the power a little though. It's on my to do list to install so I will try it one of these days.
  6. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    That button should be controlling some nitrous.:)
  7. husky123 Husqvarna
    A Class

On the 510 it's a great install. I love having the ability to "tame" it a bit in the gnarly stuff. But, that's with the 510.
  8. zeddy Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have an 08 te450 that the ecm has been reflashed, will this work on my bike?
  9. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    No it won't- the 09-10 ecu software and wiring harness is totaly different and thats what makes the difference- you could get an 09 ecu- and it would open up the ability to adjust CO1, CO2, CO3... your wiring harnes would remaind the same and you would still not have the plug that the switch plugs into but if you swaped harnesses too or did some real schematic studying you may figure it out- but ulimately that would be over kill for what the switch is worth- BUT it would be a conciderable upgrade to be able to play with the CO's- But at that point if I had an 08- I'd just get the PCV... which has the ability to run different fuel maps- not the same as the "wet map" -sel2- but....... I've gone beyond the question at hand at this point...:cheers:
  10. discobob Husqvarna
    C Class

I have one on a 2010 250. It makes a pretty big difference. Not so much less power but more low/mid torque and bugger all diffence up top. It is just a momentary switch.

The main problem I have with it is when you want map 2, say in wet slippry conditions, on a hill when you stall it the map reverts back to the sel1 setting. It would be much better if it would stay on the map you select untill you turn the key off or select the other map manualy, its a bit of a pain in the ass.
  11. ben van erp Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    many
    Other Motorcycles:
    triumph tt500 1973, bmw r 50/1940
    ben van erp call Hall's motorcycles jeff kaylor

It works only nice for the mountains for the sand you need only full power.press the button at least 5 seconds and on the display you see the change to the another sel
    ben
  12. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Are these switches easy to install ?
    I did find yesterday in the mud that my 250 is quite snappy and the rear will try to swing out on you
    also spins up pretty easily on rocky areas
  13. husky bom Husqvarna
    A Class

yep piss easy to hook up just plug it into the plug just behind your headlight takes 5min
    and cost around $40.00

ps..worked good on my 09te450
  14. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Bargain - worth a try thanks
  15. motogo1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have it on my 09 TE310. When I first used it on the road I thought there wasn't much differance, but once in the nasty trails it was very noticeable. Less snap down low, lugs better and still plenty fast in the midrange, about the same as SEL1. My riding buddy said it actually sounded different. I'm an old guy so the less snap makes it easier to ride when I get tired or in the snotty trails. Also a plus on steep hills. I too wish it wouldn't default back to SEL1 when killing the engine. Maybe on the newer bikes it doesn't?
  16. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Sounds good to me thanks .. Does the switch work on the move - can you switch back to power mode easily ?
  17. motogo1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It does work on the move at low RPM but seems to take longer, like maybe 4 or 5 seconds. Switches back by stopping the engine with the kill switch or key or pushing the button while running. I'm not 100% sure it switches back when stalling the bike. I need to verify that some time.
  18. Rusty Nuts Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE310
    have had the Dual map switch for a while , very easy to install.Have found that i dont use it as it really doesnt make that much difference .Had the bike dyno'd to see wheather it was actually doing anything and yes there is a difference in the way power is developed ,but i guess for a rider with my lack of ability it is very hard to tell any difference.Plus its a pain in the arse trying to remember which setting you are in as it defaults every time you stop for a rest.
  19. motogo1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did a little testing today. If you are in SEL2 (slippery mode) and stall the bike, it does NOT default back to SEL1. If you use the kill button or key to stop the bike, it does default to SEL1. I'll have to remember this because sometimes when I stop for a break I don't want it to default back, so guess I'll just pop the clutch and stall it.
  20. Guys I'm interested in knowing how likely is to place a double-switch mapping (dry / wet) in a husky te450 2008. My motoclicleta has EFI injection system, but it is difficult to control on steep wet ...
    I do not know that I can do to adjust the te450 so that it resembles the double mapping
    Thank you very much for your knowledge ..
    Sorry for my English but I'm from Costa Rica