Another tire thread....lets talk about road biased options for the Terra

Discussion in 'TR650' started by ebrake, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sold TriumphTiger800xcx, TR650 Terra
    Hope this would be in the right place since we are talking about tires. What tubes are you guys using? I have not changed my front tire yet. I am waiting on the new bearings and seals to come in but need a tire tube. I had read that unless you are really doing some serious off roading stay away from the heavy duty tubes because they may be too much. I could be completely wrong on this. I have no experience with tubes in quit some time.
  2. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    HD tubes are not "too much" what they are is a pain in the ass to get into the rim. Since they are so thick they are stiff and stiff makes it hard to fish the valve stem into the rim. They are also bulky to pack into a fender bag or luggage.
  3. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Speedo fed from rear wheel
  4. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    I'm more than happy with Karoo3 on front & Heidenhau K60 rear
    Although I'd like more grip on the front on wet tar (my ZRX1100 is on Pilot 4's front & rear, now that is wet weather grip)
  5. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Coat with rubber grease first, no nips & easier to position
  6. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Wow, really?
  7. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650

let us know about how long last these MITAS. they will be a great option to dirt.
  8. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650

rear stock metzeler on, 20.500km just 500km left to be flat. I ask for TW302 to replace yet.

85% tarmac 15% dirt
  9. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    I've a Karoo 3 on the front & Heidenhau K60 on the rear, Terra, very impressed with both tyres although not over confident of Karoo on wet/greasy tar
  10. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    PaulC and Jon Knutson like this.
  11. ces Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    hey, i run my tr strada on the metz tourance , been travelling along the east coast of australia from deep tasmania now on north coast along back roads and the metz is awesome in wet ,muddy and dry conditions.
    by the way i need extra ponies how do i derestrict trigger ??
  12. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    I've got a TKC80 (front) and K60 (rear) sitting at my house waiting for me to install before my trip. That K60 is a stiff tire. The TKC80 should be a breeze, but that K60 I can tell is going to take a liberal amount of windex and a bit of cussing.

I hope to report that they hold up as well as others have reported. 5500 miles, 2500 miles of that being dirt/gravel, the rest pavement. As long as they make it home I'll be happy, and then I can put the 6k mile tourances back on as they seem to have a good couple thousand miles left in them.
  13. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

On dry tar the Karoo on the front exhibits amazing grip & very quick turn-in, I use 25psi on the road (ultra heavy duty greased tube in the tubeless tyre) 20psi on the dirt (as there are no rim locks) - on wet tar I'm not that impressed - on my Birdsville ride, proved great in sand, gravel & mud

The photos I posted showed condition after 5,000klm
    Me in front of the Birdsville Hotel.jpg Me in front of the Birdsville Hotel.jpg

Attached Files:

14. ces Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    hey fellow riders , new in this forum business but;again my metz tourance front and rear { originals with about 6000 kms, 60%road 40% dirt,sand,mud}are still performing beautifully , last weekend did about 700km along the oxly to walcha,to uralla to armidale to dorrigo to overnight in bellingen on to southwest rocks, crescent heads and home to port macquarie ,chasing and hassling 2gs800's ,2gs 1200's 1 amazing diavelstrada {with great jockey},1klr650 {husky was way over it..}and 1 solid vfr12000 {amazing handling so big,good solid rider, serious}along back roads, dirt roads, 2 crossings,& i introduced some good controlled slow sliding ....love my husky so well mannered , and safe tyres

anyhow , oh yes ,tyres , metz's great
    nev.. and Slowflyer like this.
  15. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650

I've got 6k miles on the stock metz tourance. I'd guess they still easily have another 2-3kmiles left in them -- for you metric people that works out to about 10,000 kms on them now and expecting as much as 15,000 out of them. They are wearing really well, but they'll be coming off this weekend in favor of TKC80 up front and a K60 in back.
    ces likes this.
  16. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    Hassling the 800's I believe. I also believe the 2 1200's needed better jockey's. ;)
    If you get your nearest dealer to de-restrict your bike, first step is give the mechanic a quick upper cut to get his attention. Then second say "DON'T FORGET TO RESET THE TPS".
    Lastly give him one more upper cut from me for forgetting the above task then tell them to hurry up and fix my bloody bike!

We'll have ta catch up one day.

Cheers

Q
    ces likes this.
  17. ces Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    ta quirky ,good mechs here in port ,have to trust them..
  18. ces Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada

good msmith , ride safely & keep the pressure on them! on the tyres i mean..ha
  19. Slowflyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150R Rockster
    My Terra came Metzeler Saharas. Down to the wear indicator bars on the rear but he front still looks good after 8000 kms. I can't fault them other than the low mileage for the rear. A K60 goes on the rear tomorrow. Hoping for much more than 8000 kms out of the K60!
  20. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

My K60 rear at 5K, still good grip although squared-off noticeably & starting to get a bit nervous cornering I'll most likely replace with another K60 - so posts indicate Mitas also good - I'd like to see some posts regarding the new TC70 on the rear - I prefer something a little more aggressive for the front

Attached Files:

ces and Slowflyer like this.