Another tire thread....lets talk about road biased options for the Terra

Discussion in 'TR650' started by ebrake, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Seriously? 8000 miles and your tires look like that?
    I don’t get 8000 miles out of my street bike tires.
    Dual sport tires of any type that could see 4000 miles would make me deliriously happy.
  2. chris1261 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada
    Either the date is wrong on your camera, or you got a *really early* version of the Terra! :D
    vodka, hasenpfeffer and Coffee like this.
  3. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    95% street, very little use of the brakes. 35-38psi. Wheel was balanced from day one as well. I was a little surprised as well. Could have probably squeezed another 500-1000 miles. My commute is through some turns, spent some time on the outside of the tread as well. I got just under 6k on my Gen II KLR with the stock Dunlop. FWIW, I tip the scales at 240 with all gear, plus I bungee 10Lbs of lunchbox on rear rack. Also, no crack in rear tail section yet.
  4. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    And, I just found the Achilles heel of the K60: clay. I took the TR out this weekend in the Georgia clay and it got nasty really quickly. The K60 is a great tire for hardpack and gravel, but not clay. It is still a great road biased tire with decent off road ability.
  5. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    Yep, totally agree. I have a K60 rear and a dreaded Trailwing on the front (needed a tyre urgently & options were limited). A great combination for road riding with no weave or wobble but hit some wet dirt or clay and the blood starts pumping really fast.
  6. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    To to get decent traction in clay, only true MX tire would do fine... some solution might be pairing rear DS tire (k60 or TKC80) with more off-road biased front tire that doesnt get too weathered on pavement - like Pirelli MT21.
  7. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I put a set of Karoo T on my Terra this week. First time I've ridden a bike with knobbies. It was a bit of a shock at first. The bike handled like it had two flat tyres. After about 100km of about 50:50 sealed/unsealed it's handling much better on road. Really inspiring my confidence on the dirt and especially on freshly graded road. Have a week off work and hoping the weather isn't too bad and I get a couple of days riding. Planning to load up and hit the hills.
    bluegopher likes this.
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Let us know what you think of that tire after you've had more time on it. I'm especially interested in what you think because you are new to knobbies. :cheers:
  9. DBRIDER09 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna terra tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    suzuki 06 450, suzuki 97 rm 250
    I put the battle ax bt45 on front and rear. Same size front but went to a 150/80/18 rear very happy with the tires I've had the bike laid over on both the stock Sahara 3s and battle ax enough to scrape pegs.
  10. vodka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200R , Yamy WR250R
    I put the battle ax bt45 on front and rear. Same size front but went to a 150/80/18 rear very happy with the tires I've had the bike laid over on both the stock Sahara 3s and battle ax enough to scrape pegs.[/quote]

Thats what I'm talkin about. This bike (terra) sure leans easy.
    DBRIDER09 likes this.
  11. Bobzilla Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Trek Madone
  12. DBRIDER09 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna terra tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes my tires are the bridgestone battle ax BT45 90\90\21 front and bridgestone battle ax BT45 150\80\18 rear. i think the BT45 is just a part # to the tire or a model #
  13. DBRIDER09 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna terra tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thats what I'm talkin about. This bike (terra) sure leans easy.[/quote]
    sure does.
  14. Jon Knutson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KTM 450 SX-F (Street Legal)
    I'm having a hard time deciding between Continental Escapes (90/90R21 & 140/80R17) or Avon Gripsters (90/90R21 & 130/80R17) due to my location I spend the majority of my time on road and do plan some long trips on the highway. Would the 130 make much difference in handling/speedo?
  15. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    [quote="ebrake

Talk to me guys.....I'm confuzzled and I'm selling my baby KLR so I have some mod money to play with. Tell me what YOU would do....[/quote]

Dificult task anyway.. on my experience, the best for my old XR 650 L was BRIGESTONE TRAILWING T302/309. In europe has two diferent grips, and romboidal one it seems to run very well on tarmac.
    I ve normally used, the trail one TW302 and i was really very glad for long durability and compormise off road.
  16. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    BRIGESTONE TRAILWING TW 152 MUCH TARMAC
    AND TW 301/302 OFF ROAD
    trail wing_tw152_closerlook1.png trail wing_tw302_closerlook1.png
  17. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    For mostly road use I opted for a used set of BMW GS cast rims (not very expensive BTW) and Full Bore ADV 19/17 tubeless radials.
    They actually are not that bad off road either, the tread compares some what to the stock Terra Saharas.

I am still trying to use up the stock tires and will put knobbies on the stock Terra rims for more off road use.

[IMG]
    PaulC likes this.
  18. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    The bridgey bt45 front is a good road only tyre, but I really don't like the bt45 rear. They just never got it right. If you haven't got ABS then go to a decent rear if you have a 17" rear, 18" is harder to find. We have Pilelli mt60's on Sally's DRZ400 sm ( with a 21" front wheel) and they are pretty god dirt ROAD tyre.
  19. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Just a heads up on the Kenda Big Block. My rear is about half worn and cupping a bit at 1500 miles. Hoping to get 3000-3500 out of the rear. The front will likely last forever.
  20. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    I'm going to say it again, cause the Mitas surpass any d/s tires i've ever used. Superb traction on the street, really important, as i live on a very twisty section of Ca hwy 1. Very solid all rounder off road. Hands above the Heidenau. Switched the front out at 9500mi and the rear just turned 10k of pretty hard use. Shipped from MX1 in Canada for $260, or $280, don't recall. The supplier has some KLR owners that get 20k out of them. Sort of on par with the Mefo's.....highly recommend em'!
    PaulC likes this.