Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

totally agree, if anyone has insight or a feel for this aquisition it is Scott.
    Coffee likes this.
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I hope it works out. I also am holding on to the small hope that SP will make sure that Husky prices don't migrate north of 5 digits like their other brands. If they are serious about competing with the Japanese big four, they can't charge KTM and Berg prices.

Then again, I don't think I'll be spending any money with Husqvarna for a while. If I do it surely won't be on some half ass homolgation/abortion from this new company until well after the dust settles. I think a '13 511 will be the last one I even consider.
  3. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Yeah, I think if you need a new ride, better go get your favorite one till the dust settles. Glad I got the 13 310. That will buy me a couple years till new/proven models hit. I never like a 1st year model anyway till some of the bugs get ironed out.
  4. 4eyes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha R5
    Racing....... schmacing.....I just want a 450ish cc bike that I can ride single-track, two-track, dirt roads, and paved back roads. The CTS is a BIG selling point to me also.
    I'm cautiously optimistic about what will be offered in the future. If JP is going to compete with the "Big Four" he is going to have to gain a reputation for low maintenance and high reliability, for the off the track models. Not every buyer wants a high-strung race-bike.
  5. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC250 and 2012 TC250
    I told the Mrs. we need to start saving because we're gonna buy a new Husker Du TC449 once they hit U.S. soil - Jody Weisel and his reviews be damned!!!

Oh, and with all of the talk of the future of Husky and hopes of growth, I kind of like being that one dude at the track tearing it up on a Husky.
  6. Howard V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    sv650 klr250
    More from Stefan Pierer
    http://www.topgear.com/india/bike-news/across-the-table-with-stefan-pierer-ceo-of-ktm/itemid-50

By now, every Indian motorcycle fan (and more) has heard of KTM. And like all the places it’s gone to, KTM has already gathered a following of its own and is on its way to becoming a cult-inspiring brand. Not bad for a company that launched its first product in the country little more than a year ago. Never mind that no one knows what KTM stands for.
    While its partnership with Bajaj has a lot to do with its success as does canny business strategy, KTM’s success is the result of one man’s vision - that of Stefan Pierer, CEO of KTM. And we managed to corner him at the Geneva Motor Show at the KTM booth full of variants of the KTM X-Bow. It looks like a car that was made out of leftover motorcycle parts, so naturally we begin by asking him about it.
    Pierer wants as much involvement from Bajaj as possible, and wants to bring Husqvarna to India and other emerging markets in a couple of years
    “Will it come to India?’ we ask, throwing each other amused glances at the absurdity of the question. As expected, Pierer replies, “There doesn’t seem to be a market for this kind of vehicle in India. Plus there are a lot of rules - homologation and this and that - so for a car like this, it’s very difficult.” At this point, we suggest holding a track day-clinic at the BIC F1 circuit to gauge response to the X-Bow, to which he replies, “That sounds interesting... maybe you guys could help us do it!” Uncomfortable with the idea of doing some actual work, we change the topic.
    Congratulating him on buying the fabled Husqvarna brand from BMW, we ask him about how that’s going to work out, with KTM and Bajaj in the picture. He’s more than happy to share. “Husqvarna and KTM are not in direct competition as I see it. Now that we have Husqvarna, we will position it in a more accessible space - it will be less hardcore than KTM, with more road-biased performance from the models. Of course, we will share platforms because it is an effective business strategy.”
    So, will there be a Husqvarna 200 based on the Duke 200? “Yes, of course! Also another, based on the 390... and other models as they come along.” Now, we were always of the opinion that Husqvarna was Pierer’s retirement plan. Given Bajaj’s steadily increasing stake in KTM, we expected a day to come when Bajaj would take over majority stake and Pierer would leave, having Husqvarna to run the way he pleased. Instead, he wants as much involvement from Bajaj as possible, and wants to bring Husqvarna to India and other emerging markets in a couple of years. That’s a mighty impressive intention.
    “We want every brand to benefit, and that happens only by sharing, not by living alone. So yes, we will work out a business model where every brand improves without losing its identity,” he says. And how does he feel about KTM’s Indian partnership? “It’s a very good thing. We are proud of what we have accomplished with Bajaj, and we will keep the momentum going with the Duke 390 launch in a couple of months and the faired version of the 200 by the end of the year. Indian bike fans have a lot to look forward to!”
    At this point, we run out of things to ask, seeing as Pierer’s told us everything without needing to ask too many questions in the first place. And there are quite few things we’ve learnt: by April/May 2013, we will get the bigger Duke and before we recover from it, there’ll be another one coming. Also, it’s amazing to think that Bajaj will share their parts with motorcycles that sport Husqvarna and KTM tags. But in a world that relies increasingly on perception rather than actual differentiation, it’s the done thing to do, we suppose. It’s a win-win situation, especially for customers, and we’re really looking forward to seeing how India benefits from all this sharing. Oh, and by the way, KTM stands for Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen.
    Tags: husqvarna, x bow, dude, ktm

Related
    [IMG]
    KTM adds a screen to the X-Bow...
    [IMG]
    Straight talking, KTM-style...
    [IMG]
    huskyduck likes this.
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I don't want to pre-judge, but I'm starting to pick up on a trend with Stephan...
    Camstyn likes this.
  8. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Also, it’s amazing to think that Bajaj will share their parts with motorcycles that sport Husqvarna and KTM tags. But in a world that relies increasingly on perception rather than actual differentiation, it’s the done thing to do, we suppose. It’s a win-win situation, especially for customers, and we’re really looking forward to seeing how India benefits from all this sharing.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH! I freakin knew it! I'm gonna have to call Mumbai, New Dehli, or some other place to order Husky parts. Who cares how well India benefits? It's gonna suck for the rest of us. :cry:
  10. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

11. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Whatever...............................
  12. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    I think I will call my favorite Husky dealer for parts...........
  13. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh sure, just like when you think you're calling customer service for a US company...you just wait! It's all going to India! ALL OF IT !
  14. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    really? the road bias comment didnt' jive with many of his other posts.... I'm not sure what to think. Less hard core? What happened to motocross roots?
    huskyduck likes this.
  15. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

I got the impression these were Indian journalists ... therefore the comment would apply to Indian products.
  16. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM 300xcw- sold// 2016 wr450
    Hold on everyone this is a global market:excuseme: the parts on youre ram 1500,F150,silverado they all have parts and pieces from other parts of the world, some bad, some good, I dont have to call China for tech support on these makes or to order parts, I just have to deal with a few subpar parts from a few different manufactures,bikes should not be that much different- what little I have read,they are keeping the dealers seperate from KTM and Husqvarna,Therefore you keep youre favorite dealer-Halls,Tasky,Bills etc, you know the guys that got us to buy husky in the first place too begin with! The support will come with the brand-aftermarket MOTOSPORTZ - yes while I wouldnt of bought a KTM a few years ago after having one that HATED ME:like to see me walk 5 miles often: It was an 87 or 88- at least the company is sold to another that knows dirt bikes,and how to market them. On one final thing KYMCO which produced the current TC/TE/TXC 449,511engine has been in business a long time and also makes engines for-Artic cat,Suzuki,BMW,even has been involved with Honda, They build a great engine,just like any country can-if allowed-but many people discounted the new husky engine because it was made in China,well it wasnt it was built in Tawain, and if it is anything like my sons old Kymco 90 ride it hard,change oil and repeat-It will like it,like I suspect the new-old /TC-TCX-TE 449,511 will like, I havent heard of two many catastrophic engine failures on the new-old ones yet.
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I think it's two markets that he will have Huskys in. The Indian cheap built 125/200/390 street market and the USA/Euro competitive dirt bike market. The larger street market will provide the funding for the dirt bikes. At least that's my take and hope.
  18. Howard V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    sv650 klr250
    Dutch interview.
    http://www.noppennieuws.nl/index.php/home/archief/alle-nieuws/item/350-husqvarnas-nieuwe-strategie
    The sale of Husqvarna Motorcycles Pierer AG to hit nearly five weeks ago, as a bombshell. In the center of it all is an open question what the strategy of KTM boss Stefan Pierer and where the journey goes to the traditional brand Husqvarna.
    In an interview with the Austrian motorcycle magazine REIT CAR Pierer confirmed that he Husqvarna wool lead to a lasting success and he spoke about the plans for the brand together under one roof with another Swedish brand (owned by KTM) Husaberg. "I am not interested in the Husqvarna brand way to remediate" said Pierer request.
    "We are already working on the completion of our first new Husqvarna model generation and start soon with a new line of motocross bikes. Supermoto Husqvarna will also at the forefront," confirmed Pierer.
    Subsequently he proposed to take into account the sale of 20000 Husky motorcycles and he existing partnerships (also dealer network) as much as possible hoping to take in the near future. "" Below said Pierer are some very experienced people, we do not abandonment and that we need "
    Furthermore, it has become clear that for first nothing will change and that where the competition concerns all existing contracts and agreements are respected. '
    Therefore, Speed ​​Brain as planned as Husqvarna factory team to participate in the World Rally Championship, Andreas "Letti" Lettenbichler contribute to extreme enduro races like Erzberg Rodeo and the Husqvarna World Enduro Championship team under the multiple world champion Juha Salminen remain for the first time on the road with motorcycles from Italy.
    Go to the Husqvarna Nuda Twin models and Terra Strada 650 from the program and continues for the rest of the first models to be found in the delivery program.

An awkward translation, the last sentence is clear as mud. I think it says the Terra and Strada continue?
    huskyduck likes this.
  19. chuckc4 Husqvarna
    AA Class

'dutchglish' always seems the most difficult to read for me.....

That last sentence is wildly perplexing!

20. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    I could be wrong, but, I think it means...
    "Husqvarna Nuda Twin models and Terra Strada 650 are gone from the range and changes to the remaining models will be announced soon"