Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Howard V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    sv650 klr250
    Here is the second portion of the interview with Stefan Pierer.
    http://www.motociclismo.it/husqvarna-non-produrra-motori-in-india-per-i-prossimi-due-anni-moto-54259

Here is the second part of our exclusive interview with Stefan Pierer, CEO of KTM and Husqvarna new owner (for the first part click here )

As soon as the news of his purchase of Husqvarna has been circulating in Italy, everyone thought he was going to sell to the majority of Bajaj KTM
    It would be stupid. Every step of the matter was discussed with Husqvarna Bajaj and also the next step will Bajaj involved . So step by step Husqvarna will be integrated into our large group, without involving KTM .
    We'll see Husqvarna manufactured in India?
    Since Bajaj produces engines for KTM, such as the 390 , could easily become a resource also for Husqvarna , but do not think for the first two years. Now we want to concentrate on a competitive range. At the top. For example, in Italy today Husqvarna SM 125 is a bike that sells more and it is possible that in the future, a model of that type, will have an engine Bajaj. Surely we want to develop also the range supermoto, which will be the first step with regard to the products there. Husky has a long tradition in the SM.
    What specific goals arise?
    Today Husqvarna is selling around 10,000 units, which then are actually seven thousand. In a period of three years, the idea is to double the units, reaching twenty thousand.
    As president of ACEM (the European association of manufacturers of motorcycles, ed), what is your vision for short-and long-term market?
    For the next two or three years, I expect a further decline. For 2013 we expect a drop of 8 to 10% in Europe, with differences between north and south. We must focus on urban mobility for short trips, because the machines are becoming too expensive for regular customers. Then there will be a growth of small displacements from 125 cc to mid-sized, cheaper.
    That is why we are trying to put in the saddle young people?
    On the one hand there are the four Japanese dominated by Honda, which gives direction for everyone. And this direction is very conservative and aims only to security, which is important but does not attract young people. It's really difficult to explain to the Japanese the importance of doing something for the boys. As for Europe, BMW is very rooted in the motorcycle does not look mature and young people. Has a clientele of about 10 years older than KTM. For us, the youth policy starts from the races because races start the seven year olds. The vast majority of parents of young people today are never in motion, so the guys do not have a motorcycle training, we must arrive alone. And the transfer parent / child is paramount.
    For the first part of an exclusive interview with Stefan Pierer click here .
    Tomorrow the third and final part, where the KTM CEO talks about electric bikes (he does not like) and sport.
    kiwitxc, Coffee and ray_ray like this.
  2. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    I like the comment about electric bikes.
    4eyes, Kevin_TE250 and ray_ray like this.
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This guy is really laying his cards out on the table!! I stand corrected on any hostile stuff with bajaj ... These guys seem committed to breaking the japan lock on world-wide motor sales ... If he keeps the Husky brand (which we all know has the history) separate from his other brands, he's gonna take Husky to the next level for sure ... (I'll post some pics later of what bajaj is selling here ... )

--
    For us, the youth policy starts from the races because races start the seven year olds. The vast majority of parents of young people today are never in motion, so the guys do not have a motorcycle training, we must arrive alone. And the transfer parent / child is paramount.

This is where his racing roots are from ...
  4. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

about 8 or 9 years ago, pierer was asked in an interview whether he sees bmw as a "rival". he responded that he considers all european companies as "friends/colleagues", whileas the "rivals" are the japanese companies...

r
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Tell you what, when the excitement dies down, click on the Houskeeping button on both threads and they can be merged.

In the meantime, the way this site works, long threads that are quite active - put a strain on the server... so lets leave things the way they are for the moment.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Agree. Yeah the thread wandered around, so what. It's like an ongoing discussion. When the news is slow relieving itself that's what you get, chit chat. I thought that thread was fine.
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Thanks for posting the interview without having to click the link Mr Coffee!
    4eyes and Big and Husky like this.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    From CycleNews...

[IMG]
  9. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

That Cycle News post is the best yet. Read the paragraph off to the right beginning with "Under KTM ownership..."

Reading that it means new 250f, 450f, 125, 250, and 300 dirt bikes -- with different engines. Too much good stuff in here to talk about. Great news and what I think everyone was hoping for!!!
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
  11. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    I'm WAY more excited about this now that Pierer is talking a bit. This will be great for the brand, much better IMO than the direction BMW was taking the company and the bikes will be true top-level competition worthy machines capable of going toe-to-toe with the big 5 (including KTM) in the premier 450 class at the top level of AMA and FIM competition. Statement not intended to offend the current offerings, they have their place.

I'm more confident now than ever that I, and more importantly, my kids, will be racing Husky's for a long time.
    454x likes this.
  12. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Might as well add the existing 449/511 line in the dead man walking category...:(

That's what I read, albeit just not as direct as the immediate death of the Nuda as described by Mr Pierer.
  13. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Competition models sounds great, but are worthless to me really here in California. We need to have plated models for sure. An all new 250 motocross bike? The TC 250 has the x-lite motor?

What is in store for the TR owners with the MOSS tool? Am I understanding that the MOSS connects via the web to retreive maps? Will BMW leave that channel open indefinetly for it's once built Husky models? The 449/511 don't use the MOSS right?
  14. dave lindsey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XCW/2012 CRF230F
    Very good article...!! I feel like many good things to come from this sale. How could you not?
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I know this article is all prelimnary stuff but the lack of an intermediate 2T is a little questionable. The Ktm 125/150 motor can't be big bored without significant investment and ploping a 200 KTM motor into the frame is spendy too. Looks like if you want an inexpensive intermediate sized motor you need to snap up the current Husky tiddler before it goes extinct. Hope that changes as the Husky 125 motor is far and away a better motor than the ktm counterpart. Maybe not for a factory sponsered guy but for the average joe you can't beat the reliability to horsepower ratio of the Husky.
  16. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Correct, in the US only the TR650s use MOSS.
  17. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    I just hope the new 310 engine sticks around. It's power delivery in low-mid range is simply more fun on the trail than the KTMaberg 350.
    ray_ray likes this.
  18. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

Hahmule feels much better and finds reason for hope. "...employing a new generation of Husqvarna competition engines." Makes it sound like like he's not planning to re-badge kaboom motors for Husky. Hope he follows through.
    4eyes and ray_ray like this.
  19. beavis Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 HD FLTRX 2013 Triumph Scrambler
    Sounds like I should hold off on the Terra purchase, He doesn't mention it in the article but it uses the Moss tool also.:banghead:
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

If you want that kind of bike i would do the opposite and grab one NOW. Great bike for its intended purpose. This is not the space shuttle, someone will always be able to fix it just like they are still fixing and riding Automatic huskys from yesteryear. I also think there is a fairly good chance the TR650 will survive for eat least a few year. He said the Nuda no way but failed to mention the Terra. We will see. As for the MOSS tool I believe it works on all BMW models that use it and share a data base so i would think any dealer with it would still be able to hook it up and update as usual. I see no reason that would go away.