1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Acerbis big tank

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Mike Kay, Dec 8, 2008.

1. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    What if you could buy the GPR neck mount only and use the Motorsportz Damper. You have both items at your service between you and your friend. I am going to look into the GPR Damper and see how much that baby is and if it in deed fits the TE with IMS. Thanks for the heads up but what I said, you could try out and report back to all that are waiting.
  2. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

I find it hard to believe that Kelly wouldn't have figured it out. If there was a way...GPR...Kelly would have used it. Again, I say that there is no way that the GPR unit works with the IMS tank.
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I have heated and reshaped IMS tanks before and I'm sure you could get some of that front area pushed down, but I don't know if it would be enough.

If some could get IMS to just plug the front side if their mold it would fix the problem.

This whole tank mess is getting really stupid. :banghead:
  4. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    I called GPR today and talked to a guy that said the mount has been reshaped to fit the IMS tank and they are the only ones that have it. The only thing is, the Damper is $$$$. I am going to think about this one. I will prob. call them again on monday and if they will take it back like Kelly did I will order it. Stay tuned, if it works there is hope. But like I said, Joliet should be the one that gets the credit if it is true. I am :notworthy: of his word.
  5. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

You can say what ever you want to say, but if you call GPR and talk to Randy (619.661.0101) about the mount for the IMS tank, you will at least know that what to say about this topic:thumbsup:. My buddy still didn't send me a pic of his, but Randy may have taken some pictures of the IMS tank when they were doing the R&D.

It doesn't look like there is enough room between the steering head and the tank on my bike to make it work either, but they are working. My buddy had to grind on his a little to get the tank to fit down properly.

I don't think you have to remove (or loosen) the mount to take off the tank either.

I don't know if the GPR post will work with the Motosportz damper. I think the post may be too far forward, so that when the Motosportz damper is centered over the steering column the post may be too far forward to fit into the slot in the damper arm.

And I will post pics as soon as I get them. :) Ken
  6. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

Acerbis made all the OEM Husky plastics until 09!
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Welcome to Cafe Husky! :thumbsup:

Any more details?
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Acerbis has been the OEM plastics supplier for Husky for some time. I always assumed, that part of the deal was, that Acerbis Husky plastic is proprietary/oem only. This is why Acerbis never had aftermarket Husky plastic. This is only a guess on my part, but this is the way the Italians do business.
  9. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

I spoke to Franco Acerbis at a WEC round last year in Spain. He said that he made the plastics on the understanding that he didn't release them wholesale. The 09 headlight shroud has another manufacturer name on it so I guess Acerbis doesnt have exclusive rights anymore?

As for a larger fuel tank, I have been badgering Aqualine to make a Safari Tank (15ish ltr) for the TE, SM, if there is interest email them in Oz. Their tanks are first class!!

brock
  10. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The problem I see with a fuel injected tank that non FI tanks don't have to cope with is that the fuel pump would have to be in the lowest portion of the tank. Unfortunately it isn't as small as a nice little petcock which could be placed in a small section of tank that drops down like on the oversized 07 series tanks.

I can only imagine a larger volume tank either being wider or taller since there isn't allot room to lower the fuel pump than where it currently is placed with the IMS tank. Hope I'm wrong...
  11. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Unfortunately, that makes too much sense.
  12. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, I see that as the big problem. Wider and taller thene the already bulb shaped IMS would be just plain ugly. Now, if a smaller fuel pump and in-line filter was designed that would solve the problem, but be way to much money to justify.??? Not sure how small the smallist fuel pump is and what pressure would be needed to feed the husky but it could work if you have the time and cash to play around.
  13. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    do you think they prototype these out of foam? Just shape them then measure their volume till they hit a sweet spot of form and function.
  14. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    If I was going to design a tank for the TE line I would use the base of the stock tank and go down a little and then out and up. They prob. made a mold of the bottom and did them with foam or CAD. My XR4 has the the big IMS tank and I don't like how high it sits. Kind of makes it top heavy until half a tank. I am sure alot this day and age are done mostly on CAD.
  15. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

There is a 4 gallon tank made by Aqualine (sp?) for the new FI WR250R that should be out in a month or so. Will be interesting to see how it was designed for a 4 gallon volume while incorporating the fuel pump. Supposedly the new tank will also have wings similar to the IMS 08 Husky tank.
  16. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here are a few pics of the GPR damper mounted with a IMS tank on a 2008 TE510. :) Ken

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  17. neversurfaced Husqvarna
    AA Class

Interesting...
  18. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Randy used my TXC 450 to work/prototype/fit the bracket around the IMS tank,,,,the last I saw it it was a welded unpainted prototype very short and flattened using square section material for the post. Glad to see it on your machine,,,
    I will call them tommorrow and get that production sucker. I don't use big tanks unless I am doing a ride that requires it,, mine (IMS nat) is sitting unused with Halls graphics and tank foam on my table,, need to test it. R
  19. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Ken,

I think that seals the deal. They did say they worked on the IMS bikes and I have one on order. This will be my Christmas gift. It is exactly what I was hoping, looks like it will fit. I hope that the thin part around the top will hold up to stress. 90 day warranty is all they give. We shall see.

Merry Christmas all,

Gary
  20. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

Steering damper and a big tank?
    WER, no problem! :thumbsup: