630 Airbox - Wake-up Call

Discussion in '610/630' started by Fast1, Sep 26, 2011.

1. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mine does. I tried it and it held tap water fairly well. It´s now been on the bike a while and the inside of the airbox remained dry. Since installing the EHS filter, I´ve had to re-set the JD up quite a bit. Makes a lot of difference.
  2. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have the EHS pre-filter installed on my TE630 now. This along with the JD tuner has really transformed the bike! It really rips! I haven't really had the chance to experiment much with the settings on the JD. I have it where it is very responsive but, there's probably still room for improvement with more adjustments.
  3. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Do you have any other engine related mods like after markrt exhaust pipe ?
    Are you running with the PU kit ?
  4. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

How much louder did this make the intake honk?
  5. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

Stock pipe, PU kit, JD tuner, EHS pre-filter, 14t countershaft sprocket.
  6. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

I can't say that I really notice much difference, certainly not at idle, too busy hanging on with a hand full of throttle to notice!
  7. Xpat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello there. I'm about to order the EHS cover, but I'm perplexed by the variety of different types they offer. Do you all use the 4.5x4.5 single plate one that jtemple uses? Does the single one screw directly on the standard TE plastic airbox cover and if so isn't it better to order the double plate one?

Thanks for advice
  8. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Don´think you´d need the double plate one. The airbox plastic is thick and stable enough. Even the single plate makes the airbox stronger than before. See if you can get button head attachment screws. The 4.5 x 4.5 is the standard model.You´ve then got to fret saw the aperture in the airbox, getting rid of the plastic spikes (or labyrinth) on the inside. Doesn´t take long.

PS

Even if you make a mess of it, the airbox lid is not all that expensive. But take care not to do up the screws on the lid too tight (don´t ask ....)
  9. Xpat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you.
  10. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    I'm definitely planning to do this after I get a JD tuner. Question is since this will flow so much more air is removing the snorkel and other openings of the airbox even needed also? Thinking about maximum water protection. Has anybody tried this prefilter with otherwise stock airbox?

_
  11. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes, I didn´t remove the snorkel, just added the EHS frame and membrane filter. The membrane filter is definitely and totally dust and water repellent. I made the mistake of cutting the aperture for the frame parallel with the top of the airbox. Looks a lot better if you sit on the bike and get someone with a spirit level to draw a line so that the frame is mounted parallel with the ground. And it´d be perfect if I had got a black frame and used black button head screws. All you´ve got to do then is twiddle the JD tuner until you get best results (and also re-adjust idle).
  12. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    A litte, noticeable but not at all annoying.
    It actually sounds as though the exhausts are a bit louder, if you concentrate and know what to listen for you can then hear the induction noise sepperately from the exhaust noise.

I have stock pipes with the EHS on my SM630.
    With PU, JD Tuner and now EHS, those stock pipes are the last obstactle standing in the way of SM nirvana...
  13. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I'm not understanding why so many recommend the button head screws...is there a reason?
  14. husky666 Mini-Sponsor

Button heads should be standard, they are just cleaner looking and smoother when you wipe anything across them.
  15. rjdenya Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    05' Honda CR250R
    I'd say once you get the JD tuner and EHS installed try running the bike with and without the snorkel. In this situation you can not have too much air but you can have too little. The TE630 engine is naturally aspirated so it will only draw the amount of air it needs. One great thing about the JD tuner is the ease of adjustment on the fly. As organ doner said, ride, "twiddle," ride some more and eventually you'll know which way works best.

Good luck.
  16. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    I'd like to but I didn't get the snorkel and dealer already drilled out the airbox cover quite a bit also. So I don't want to buy both if not staying on the bike. Sounds like Organ Donor got good results with stock airbox but still would like to hear if any differences from someone that tried it both ways like you suggested. If no difference or minor I will buy stock airbox cover and snorkel to keep as water friendly as possible.

_
  17. Bunny007 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC449
    JTemple, can you show us a picture of your red plate installed?
  18. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I haven't installed it yet. I'll probably wait until Spring.

Here it is with some water dumped on it; works quite well.

[IMG]
  19. Redback Husqvarna
    B Class

Somewhere in this forum ( yes, I have tried to serch ) I read that the EFI delivered with the Arrows exhaust did NOT comepnsate for a opening up of the air intake box, it only adjusted for the higher flow through the Arrows cans. Anyone to verify/deny or shed some light on this issue?

regards
    Finn
  20. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Just that and increased throttle response throughout the range, as far as I know. If you're opening the airbox and such, you should still get the JD kit as well.