1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

449/511 G450 Torque Limiter replacement

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by 9880sts, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    The missing CH member claimed that in testing, the Husky six speed would break gearbox componentd with a solid replacement for the TL.
    A poll was run back when possible failure was a hot topic and there were very few people with actual failures that replied. The bulk seemed to be desert racers riding full throttle over whoops and Motard riders racing on bitumen.
    There were others, fellow admin on our 449-511 FB page Helm had one die after towing a dead bike 20km in harsh terrain.
    I suspect that on the CCM GP450, it is likely the fact that the TL is overloaded compared to the bikes that the engine was intended for (slim Enduro bike vs loaded adventure bike).
    Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that the CCM also spits oil from the air filter as the BMW and Husqvarna did and people are mistakenly tempted to run less oil as a result. Oil serves as a part of the cooling system carrying heat away from internal parts, the factory level should be maintained.
    A cush drive hub would be good insurance if you plan to run the bike for long distances.
    Keep in mind that the engines were originally designed to be off road Enduro engines for short course racing, not high speed road engines.

I have an alternative breather that will fit the CCM & G450X frame about a month or so from production that will help keep oil in the sump.
    (It is a version of the one I've had for the 449-511s)
    magwych likes this.
  2. magwych Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 450 ;CCM GP450 ;BMW R1200GSA
    DM, we have spoken befor about your breather. You suggested that as mine was not spitting oil (yet) then the breather may not be suitable but I am interested again WRT to mitigating wear of the TL.
    They 2 GP450s that I have heard of failing seem to have done so when using more power for certain circumstances, and controlling that with the clutch.
    They have an aggressive on/off fuelling too, which is also going to put the TL under strain. Remapping or a PCV/lambda-skewing device can help with the fuelling.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  3. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Just replied to your message.

Lots of powered up Husqvarnas around too, and are aggressive on the throttle with the second butterfly removed and the Akrapavic Titanium Racing Map loaded up. (as mine is)
    I've got 320 hours out of my limiter now along with the rest of the bottom end.
    No special treatment other than 5 hr oil changes using 5w40 full synthetic MA2 rated oil for wet clutch use.

It scares me tha CCM choose such a long drain interval for their engine with so little oil in the sump.
    If I owned one, the oil would come out every 500km Max.
    Not 5000...

Happy to help out with a breather when I have the first batch in stock.
    A little way off, but under way.

Attached is a plastic printed prototype test fitted on a G450X BMW.
    (the owner plans to remove the Toxic moto unit) received_1416983958363537.jpeg
    Trenchcoat85 and Big Timmy like this.
  4. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Thank you for the image of the prototype G450 breather David.
    I have that picture too but I didn't want to pirate the use of it without permission.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  5. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Should have some of the real deal in a month or two
    Timmy
  6. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I might have to start visiting the G450X page Timmy....