1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

449/511 G450 Torque Limiter replacement

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by 9880sts, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

What are you basing this on?
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    There is obviously somthing wrong with his from the factory as I hammered mine for 6000 miles before failure. I believe most of us that have seen slippage did it far after this one so something is up.
    Huskinator likes this.
  3. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    it breaths out to the Airfilter in both versions...
    Whats the big deal in not having the bottle installed and just breathing the "HOT GASSES " straight out.

where is this going again.... ?
  4. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    15hrs is not a lot.. could be wrong factory installed.

But i am also saying , there are many hundred Bikes out without a Breather at all.
    First Class in LILIDALE VIC got some 250 Bikes running since 2011. I was the first one who needed a TL and borrowed the Tool from them.
    They had bikes in the WS with 7000km and no breather and still all good.
    It looks good , prevents Oilspill out of the Airbox , but honestly people its not a holy cow which safes a Engine from TL failure....
    Bikes are sold around the World and not only in the US ... and the thing is they RUN..
    Altus de VET from South Africa raced the 449 without the breather and was Successful.

And i am here in VIC and havent seen a single bike with it. They run and the guys use 900ml and the Bikes still go.

German Husqvarna Forum , no one there even heard of it.

I had a reply from one Dude that his limiter failed in a SM with 5000km..
  5. Huskinator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,TE510,TE450,TXC450,WR165,TE511
    The average life for a TL without any mods seems to be about 3000-5000 miles (4800-8000km) depending on riding conditions. Riding in extreme conditions can reduce the life span dramatically. Anything we can do to increase the life of the TL should be welcomed by all 449/511 owners...
    Motosportz likes this.
  6. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    Which is pretty good....
    this thing is a wear part and will wear out. Some earlier some later.
  7. Huskinator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,TE510,TE450,TXC450,WR165,TE511
    Considering the price of a new TL and the complexity of the job for the average person. Most will have to pay shop labor. I don't think it's that good. Just think about all the bikes that will need one soon. If somebody could invent a better one or find a mod for the stock TL that actually worked, they would be very popular.
  8. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Reshimming the original TL up to a little above factory spec & roughing up the friction faces as Tinken & Helmut have suggested will certainly help reduce slipping. This has to improve the life of the factory TL & is something I'm considering doing to my own bike BEFORE it starts to slip. (I have 3800km on it-138hrs)

Nobody makes a replacement & if they did, at the costs involved over standard, would anyone buy one?
    I believe this is the problem faced by Tinken with his idea. (Please do not e-mail me, this is NOT a swipe, but a commercial reality)

It is a wear part, like having to do a top-end overhaul, it's part of owning a high performance dirtbike.
    It IS a pain in the a&$E part to put in there, but at this stage, not much we can do about it.
    9880sts likes this.
  9. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Paw Paw , The BMW torque limiter, is it a direct fit? Yes.

There is 2 versions of the torque limiter, both A and B versions have been available and listed since late 2009. About $10.00 difference or less for the B version.

I've read about BMW torque limiter failures that go all the way back to 2009 as well. It's Easy as Hell to look up and find on the Internet without getting sent back to here.

I've purchased only 1 from the dealership. The 3 others were purchased from BikeBandit.
    Motosportz likes this.
  10. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I only have 1400 miles on my bike as of today but I have run it at the supermoto track and street as a supermoto doing many wheelies and awesome things, with 0 slip from the torque converter.

IF I have to open the motor with less than 6k miles I will have buyers remorse. I think with the added oil, relocated breather, and recovery so I can run the added oil, and proper mapping, running the professor tinkens coolant, all the goodies. I better get as much if not more life than most out of my torque limiter.

I believe it is a design FLAW that it does not last as long as a clutch.

That said, for the price I paid for this bike new, and how awesome it is once modded. Maybe it is worth it :)

Awesome writeup. We all owe ya one.
    Motosportz and 9880sts like this.
  11. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Is there a story to the BMW 'A' & 'B' type limiters, do you know?
    Different torques, design difference ??
    9880sts likes this.
  12. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've never tried researching any deeper about why the "A" & "B" Torque limiters were available. Other than talking to the owner of my nearest local BMW dealer whom I personally bought my Bike from but most of the BMW provided information I got was from one of his lead mechanics. He also owned a G450X. :thumbsup:

They told me and BikeBandit and also A&S BMW basically confirmed what he said. That BMW came out with the "B" version of the Torque limiters, (which have only about 10 or so NMs higher laser etched ratings marked right on them) following the BMWs TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) which was sent out to all BMW dealers in late 2009. The "B" version Torque limiters were apparently sent out to Dealers and produced as a "new and improved" as has been said, even back then to replace the ones that were wearing out prematurely. This was happening in some cases long before the 70 hour warranty service even came up. :thinking:

Not many of the dealers were willing to do this repair though under warranty even with the TSB, so a clutch plate change, which was not covered under warranty and costs about 80.00 more for the clutch plates (which owners had to pay for) than the cost of the TLs. This is about as far as most owners ever got from the Dealers to repair their bikes. Of course this clutch plate install at the owners expense, didn't solve the bikes TL issue's and a small amount of owners who still complained were lucky enough to get the engine dropped and the TL replaced by the BMW dealerships in the end. The rest, well they got it in the end too. :censored: :eek:

I have seen a copy of the TSB myself about 3 years ago. I have also read many of the stories of the dealers antics with regard to the TSBs on the BMW G450X. Most of what you will read are the stories of failure of the dealers taking care of this problem. Most of the G450X owners who had it fixed though you will seldom read about, unfortunately for BMW. These bikes had a 3 year or 30,000+ mile warranty, which was unheard of in the Enduro market, maybe not in the Dual sports market. This TL issue has cost BMW big time. You can hardly get a BMW technician or anyone in a Dealership to even talk about this sore subject nowadays let alone acknowledge it.:naughty:

Its one of the primary reasons in my opinion why BMW dropped production and the advancement of any more full on competitive off road dirt bikes. Then handed those duties over to the Husqvarna engineers in the first place. I've heard on "CH" that Husqvarna was asked to solve the problems many times and here we are today.:banghead:
    Motosportz and 9880sts like this.
  13. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Wouldn't this be warranty?? We had 12 months on our bike.
    Motosportz likes this.
  14. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am not familiar with the Husqvarna Warranty. Even though, my answer to that would still be a yes. Why not, if you can establish it's less than say 70 hours ? 70 hours is the first major scheduled service interval, right?
  15. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    Yes this should be Warranty , but warranty comes and goes with Dealer and the way they handle (claim) things. I can do many things on my side with our Product we sell. But i also know there are dealers they dont want to go through all the Claimimg process .Just dont want the risk of getting a claim rejected. I go through it sometimes. Thats the way how it is. But 15hrs seems to be not very much.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yeah like 200-450 miles. Something is up with this bike and TL.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  17. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah like 200-450 miles. Something is up with this bike and TL.

It happens very early on in some instances, we aren't making this stuff up.

This has been happening for years,(since like mid 2009) world wide on the G450X. Now it's happening on the Husqvarna's. Husky owners are lucky there is something that can help to make it last longer.
    ray_ray likes this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    G450X owners were having failures before 500 miles? Wow. I'd be shouting at BMW over that one. 6000 I can deal with and maybe make the next one last longer. Under 500 miles is crazy.
  19. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I'm hoping to pull my TL out & reshim it real soon, bring it back to spec with a few new parts & not wait to a failure.
    We 'life' components like this in mining where I work now as a maintainence planner.
    It is cheaper to have the machine off the road on our terms than wait for the failure to stop the unit.

Hoping this works for me with the bike :)
  20. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It is a TC not a TE. The TC is considered a racing bike and comes with a much shorter warranty in the US.