1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

430AE Project Has Some Hiccups

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by D12, Jul 9, 2015.

1. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 Triumph Daytona 1200
    Yeah I am still looking into the swing arms. And yes, I am a little picky about quality. On a scale of 1 to OCD...

The bike already has a brand new clutch drum, pads and springs installed, never been used yet. The springs as I recall were a bright silver color, not blue. As far as the drum goes, I wonder how hard it would be to have new ones CNC milled? I might have to take that off and see if that would be a possibility for replacements down the line.
  2. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    I believe the list of bikes a part fits, the almighty list, the all knowing list. Sounds like that is the air filter though so I will pick one up. :p
  3. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    That seems to be what I have found and I think the 400 and 430 from those 2 years had the same arms.
  4. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:

I forgot about the magnet, thanks for the tip! :applause:

I think I will try a CNC for the spring cover first just because as someone pointed out I am OCD about quality, and I want to make 100% sure its balanced.

I really like the idea of the gear driven pump, but because I want to add signals and other lights to the bike, maybe other stuff, I think I will go with an electric oil pump since I will probably have a battery pack on it anyhow. I saw on one of your threads I think someone used a car fuel pump. Will those handle the temperature of the hot oil? I was looking at Turbo Scavenge pumps with brass/bronze gears to handle high temperatures, but they cost more.

As well for now I don't think I am going to have an oil cooler, just the filter and pump. The filter I made a mount for to work is not off a dodge neon, I think its off Chevs Vortec V6, not too big around but a fairly long filter and should add a fair bit of volume to the system.
  5. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    Back at it again, frame is having plastidip cleaned off and going for powder coat, oil filter and pump system getting set up. Questions though about electrical. I was planning on just using a battery for the electric mini turbo scavenge pump I am using for the oil pump, but I figure it does have a stator, why not see if I can't set that up to help out. I want to build a control board that doesn't run the pump at 100% or doesn't runs it all the time, and in the off time the stator can top the battery off maybe. Not entirely sure, I haven't really looked at it or dug out the multimeter for exact measurements, but I have read the stator is a 70W unit on the bike. I have the stock electrical 1000 miles away (I am terrible at having parts all over the country for this bike) and can't look at it, I can't remember if it has a regulator on it and I am wondering will a regulator handle the voltages the stator puts out because I recall it being fairly high voltage output, better then 50v I believe and I don't want to burn out a regulator.

The goal is to have pretty much everything ready for the end of May, early June this year, so probably in reality next year sometime, so that all I have to do is order the hubs and rims, have Buchanan's Spokes make up spokes for it and slap some Heidenau K60 Scouts on it, and that whole thing with converting to a disc brake on the back, simple stuff. But until that point, I need to get some electrical things figured. I am ordering up new handle bars, grips with all sorts of buttons, horns, lights; all good things. But the original plan was run the lights and signals off the stator, and the oil pump off a battery in one of the side cases I have made up for it, and they would be on two separate circuits. But I figure if I have the pump run off a Pulse Width Controller to run it at maybe 50% duty cycle (I don't think I need to run the pump full out), or have it setup so it runs for 10mins, off for 5, something like that that I can have the stator top off the battery in off times, because I am not entirely sure the stator could run the pump motor full time, so I am being conservative assuming that it can't and if I can have it top off the battery sometimes, I can extend time between actually having to charge the battery or opt for a smaller battery.

If that makes sense, not sure how well I can explain things about the magic pixies running around in the wires, but would like to see what others have to say about it. I am trying to be conservative with my guesstimates as well, I mean, theoretically if its a 70W unit, say we can get 50W at 12v out of a regulator even, that is a bit over 4A, its supposed to be roughly a 2A pump, that leaves power for the lights, it might still be good to have a small 12v battery to absorb excess charge or night driving with the pump, and lights and everything all running, and if I can run the pump off the stator alone would be fantastic, but I rather not bank on that. If anyone has anything to add that would be great otherwise I will wing it like a lot of stuff and hope I continue to get lucky! Haha! I can't wait to show this thing off once its done.
  6. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Can you show pics of your oilpump ? :)
    Thanx
  7. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:
  8. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

OK and what about the oil cooler ?
  9. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:

Didn't plan on using one, it didn't have one on it to start with; the filter, pump and added oil lines increase volume and cool it a bit already, I figure if it worked before with no cooling and less volume it should be fine. That and the pump is made for hot oil, so I see no reason to add an oil cooler onto it.