1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

430AE Project Has Some Hiccups

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by D12, Jul 9, 2015.

1. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 Triumph Daytona 1200
    Alright, its been awhile since I was last on here and since I last really looked at the 1986 Husky 430 AE. I have completely taken the bike apart so I can paint the frame and tidy everything up on it. The frame is being dipped right now (first time using dip instead of paint, fingers crossed, it seemed like a good idea), the rest of the bike is labelled in boxes and I have a fairly good idea now of what I am doing and what needs to be done but I have a few questions.

The dream is to add turn signals so I can use it on the road, put a dual sport tire on rather then dirt bike and change the sprocket size slightly (smaller) for better on road usage since I don't intend to go hard on, or off road, with the bike, but I have fallen for the idea of supermotos a little lately. I mostly want to ride it casually around town a little and down some dirt roads and easy trails near by, nothing difficult. I have already started fabricating a oil pump and filter assembly since I know oil changes were kind of a big deal on these, and its coming along great (And I would like to post a how-to for others when I am done on it). It picks up at the drain, runs through a decent sized oil filter from a car (Dodge Neon?) through an electric oil pump back to the fill oil hole, right over the first gear clutch. I am also fabricating a mount for the back that will hold 2 tall 50 cal. ammo cans that will provide storage as well as house batteries (or because I am a nerd, possibly Super-capacitors) for running the electric oil pump. I picked up new aluminum radiators and hoses for it when I found out one of the rads had been a little bit smushed. While its being painted I am looking at electrical and accessories (grips, fork guards, new set of plastics, etc). I still need to fix the exhaust as it was bent slightly and has a few dents in it. Other then that its ready to go, so once its painted it would be nice to have the rest of the parts ordered or delivered so I can start reassembly. So lets start with a list of things I need to do so I don't forget anything;

The Bad
    - Chain has chewed pretty deep into the swing arm
    - I can't find;
    + A new air cleaner pad
    + A new rubber intake boot that fits between the carb and the reed cage
    + A spring cover
    + Rims

The swing arm had a chain guard on it, but that got chewed through and so did the aluminum arm itself, almost down to the big bolt that the arm pivots about. I can't find a swing arm for this year or model, but there are lots of other out there and was hoping someone would know if another swing arm from another bike would fit? Would the arm off the 400, 500 or 510 fit? Ideally I would like one that already mounts a brake caliper for a disc brake, but I am not too picky if it doesn't.

The rims are in ok shape but definitely need new rubber, and if its worth doing its worth doing right so I wanted to pick up a new set of gold rims to put on as well, one that uses a disc brake and would allow me to change the sprocket size if I so choose. I guess this might depend on that swing arm I get.

I can't for the life of me find a new air cleaner pad or rubber intake boot and if anyone has one or knows where to look, that would be much appreciated.

Ahh, the spring cover. I have heard of people making a little plate that covers the first gear clutch springs so if they break they won't chew out the left side cover. I am wondering if anyone makes these, or made one for themselves and how much you want for it, or if there are pictures of them for reference. I am holding off buying a brand new side cover until I get something like this to keep the springs from eating it up.

If I can get those items nailed down right away, this bike might be done for this season! Which would be excellent, I would love to ride it down the road to the guy I bought it off of and 1-up the one he has! HAHA! But seriously I want to ride this thing because its pretty close to being done.

Have a few pictures on my camera I will get uploaded tonight.
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    motard. just get another set of wheels to put either knobs or roady tyres on for motarding. get a 19 inch rim laced up for your motard front. then you can change to either in a 30 mins.

the spring covers are covered here in a thread by Michael Dufayard (apologies, I didn't check the spelling) he has drawings and specs for one.

Sudco should be able to supply an inlet manifold. Husqvarnaparts.com may have filters or know where to get them. email phil.

check the parts books in the tech section here to see if the swingarms are the same part and what you can interchange. can you weld and re machine the bush opening?

you should be able to select a sprocket combination that lets you swap wheels out without having to lengthen / shorten the chain.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    an air filter for a swede husqvarna? all over ebay, or many vintage parts suppliers.
    swinger wear pad? same thing....all over ebay...or many vintage husky suppliers.
    a swinger itself.....are you really looking for one? because checking your kitchen cabinets doesnt count you know...you probably know where im going to send you right? 85/86 non-cr models should fit fine, auto or not.
  4. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    MY PARTS GUY BUDDY ORDERED UP A NEW AIRFILTER STRAIGHT FROM TWIN AIR HALLS HAD ALL THE REST
  5. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well I am a lazy young person lol. That and I don't need it to be great at either, mediocrity on this bike is fine. One tire, one sprocket, one chain, one bike.

Those other sites look excellent, and I already tracked down the post for the spring guard by Michel Dufayard, I think someone I know has a laser cutter or a CNC mill, going to make one in AutoCAD I think and have it cut like that, would probably help making sure its balanced.
  6. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    I honestly can not find the big air filter for these. I can find the frame for the air filter, but not the foamy itself.

Yes, I have found lots of swing arms, just wanted to see if there was some interchangeability in them. I am checking the tech section here later tonight for that.
  7. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    ill get you a p/n:thumbsup:
  8. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
  9. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:
  10. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    That would be great, thank you.
  11. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    how and or why doesn't that uni filter fit that looks like it to me?
  12. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I bought my filter from Andy at HVA
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the filter he linked to fits all swede single shock 2 strokes..perhaps you have an earlier bike?
  14. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I think the swingarm for that would be 85-86 linkage. Wr te ae probably my auto had an extra cross piece kind of close to the pivot end. Like they say check the part numbers. The way the brake backing plate keys to the swingarm is often less than ideal and without getting a spare in person you may end up with problems at the other end as you seem rather picky about quality. Halls didn't have the swingarm protector thing a few years ago and I made one from 1999 te 410 and others work it is kind of better in the end. I did a little thread on it here, not sure if anyone even commented. It was also more realistically priced than the last protector I got. I am pretty sure someone or some entity reproduces the manifold parts again not realistically priced in my opinion. If you want to spend the money there are places perhaps Buchanan that drill the holes in blank rims. Once you start taking the spokes off chances are a few won't come undone. Some folks just cut them all and replace.

I seem to recall Michael D has got some first gear clutch springs made up which I would recommend at least trying as I had pretty bad luck with the springs that came with the drum/shoes/springs kits, the gun blue looking ones.

I have put this many times. That bike has a first gear clutch with a spiral groove in the drum and steel or at least magnetic shoes that are smooth. I suppose you can do an oil cooler an run it long after the spiral is worn away. In my experience it sounds a bit different at that point. I suspect it performs different but can't recall that part. Without a source for those kits or a whole improved design with parts availability ..........
  15. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I've put links about clutch springs ,electric oil pump and up-tite pump linked on gear.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/making-new-430-500-auto-1st-clutch-springs.43716/
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/automatic-springs-breaking.25520/
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/special-parts-desert-race-510.4201/

Making a spring cover is not hard. Need an electric saw with a blade for cutting
    steel . And also a 1 mm thick rust steel sheet ( inox). If the spring cover protect from damage
    the clutch cover, you need to glue a magnet to pick the little part of spring which travel in the motor.
    DSCN5229.JPG
  16. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

430 Kevin Hutchinson 1.jpg 430 Kevin Hutchinson 2.jpg 430 Kevin Hutchinson 3.jpg

You can also add an manual oilpump.
    It comes here from an ATC 110 from memory.
    Oil radiator from Honda 400 xr ?
    Pics provided by Palito if I remember.
  17. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    ok if the beast is an 86 the filter you need is parts unlimited # NU-1006ST Tucker Rocky has it as 141006 and WPS as NU4006 Justins right if its a SSS [Swedish single shock] they all use the same one
  18. D12 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 Husqvarna 430 AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    Its got the bikes it fits listed and there isn't a 430 on there. With Triumph I am used to every bike a specific part will fit being listed, and they are usually long lists due to their modular design. I actually had to just buy a starter for the Triumph and the starter on my 1994 Daytona is still used on several of their bikes today and has been used on several bikes every single year from the early 90's all the way through to today and makes them very easy to find. The air filter does look similar in size and shape to what I need, but again, I am used to a very definitive answer on whether, yes it fits, no it doesn't. They are cheap, maybe I will pick one up anyhow.
  19. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    well, these are not triumphs. you have been given definitive answers on what fits..
    if your bike is a 85-88 husqvarna 2 stroke it takes the same filter as troy listed.
    the swinger itself is unique to the 85-86 models. 87-88 look similar but have different linkage design.
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    why do you say this doesnt fit? you dont believe us?