1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2013 TE310R - Issues

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by rideitall, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    idle knob (aka cold start): out 40+ clicks counter-clockwise

starter relay: yes, it could partially fail. clean, inspect, and measure the resistance of the main contacts (should be zero ohms)

Did your rebuilt starter spin fast before you mounted it? or in the worm housing before installing on the motor? here's a couple of recent starter threads:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2011-te250-e-starter.87791/
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/310-starter-gear-casing-broken-need-help-please.87855/
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2012-te310-dreaded-starter.87560/

I'm guessing your ring gear is bad. Husky has an updated one; they fixed the issue about halfway through the 2013 production run it seems. Damage to the worm drive and ring gear is subtle sometimes, but if you see any little flaw: replace the set. The sprag could also be having problems.

do the charging system tests above- takes less than 30 seconds.
  2. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now
    Trenchcoat - I had searched and read through most info on the TE starters. I did mention to the shop about testing directly to the starter as it would at least verify if the starter is working as it should. That would leave the starter relay or the starter switch if the starter works direct.
    If the valves are in spec or adjusted and the starter still doesn't work, then it would be the worm drive and ring gear or perhaps the sprag? Keeping fingers crossed the valve adjustment fixes.

When the starter was off the bike, I could spin the starter gear quite easily with my fingers. It felt smooth with very little friction against it. I would guess the small amount of friction came from the starter itself.
    Should be hearing from the shop anytime now.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    wait a minute... I didn't even notice: has this thread been hijacked?

DJ- you're not also the OP too? (rideitall? IOW- sock puppet)

I'm confused.
    Johnrg likes this.
  4. durtkillon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Sherco X-Ride
    I can turn the starter symptoms you described on and off by changing the shim on the left exhaust valve. I found that the clearance had to be less than 0.18mm for the decompression valve to function properly. If the gap is greater than that, the starter pushes against more compression than it can handle, which sounds exactly like a dead battery.
    Johnrg and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  5. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now
    Yup, same. Was having issues on getting account to work so switched to other email. That seemed to work. Don't seem to have access via rideitall anymore, so continuing with DJ.
  6. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now
    I am hoping this is the issue. The shop called last night and got to working on the bike, so far they had only measured the clearance and not worked on adjusting. The compression were measuring on spec as was the exhaust at 0.008in (0.20mm) They were going to shim to 0.005in to 0.006in range (0.127mm to 0.152mm). Fingers crossed this works
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    makes a bit of sense... but next time you change horses in the middle of the stream give us a clue. That threw me for a loop.

btw, we have very few moderators (2-4 depending) so things might be slow. I've noticed the new members are getting approved faster nowadays- your original account may be activated.
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    if the starter is rebuilt, the relay is new, and the wiring good... and you can kickstart it easily: I am still going to guess starter-gears (ring & worm).

if you wanna test the starting system- pull the spark plug out. If everything is okay, it should spin like a top when you press the button.
  9. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now
    Just got the news back from the shop. Not good, unfortunately. Starter still not turning over the bike. Relay was checked to be ok. The issue must be with the gears. My bike is a 2013 with vin # ending in 194. It looks like the issues could be the starter worm gear assembly. The shop checked the bike history, no mention of being replaced on recall. They have emailed back into Husky/KTM to see if anything would be available to me.

Any idea if I am SOL, on getting these gears or what other options I have?

Cheers
  10. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Bummer. Hope they can get you the parts.
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    no, you've got hope:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2012-te310-dreaded-starter.87560/

...but make sure it's your gears first.
  12. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now
    I saw that thread. I think I am done. I've talked to a number of Husky shops and it seems even if I change out the starter gears, the success rate in getting the bike to stay working is not good. The bike is running good now, but it seems like I should cut my losses with regard to Husky. If I sell it now, without the electric starter, but bike running great, I move to something like and older Honda XR or a few other options, and have some $$$ left over to help my sons with their funds to buy bikes.
  13. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now
    I couldn't get to sleep, because this thing with the bike has really pissed me off. Even the dealers said I should try and email Husky/KTM directly. I can't find an contact page for Husqvarna. I hate losing and I now feel that I have lost with this bike.
    `
    In addition to the relatively steep buy in price on the bike, then cost to register and insure the bike, then to have all the downtime and costs trying to get the bike running. I am now at the point where I have a bike that has no electric starter, a depreciated resale value, and no reasonable way to fix it. I could gamble and spend another $250 or so in parts + labour for a replacement starter gear kit and still have a bike that has a crappy starter that may or may not work, or work but crap out again at any time due to the poor design. One dealer that works on these bikes advised that under half of the ones with starter issues actually work when replacing the starter gears.

Just found the purchase papers, the originally seller looks to have sold the bike at 247km to the person I bought the bike from, who sold it to me with 410km. I know have just over 650km. Of that maybe 30-40km might have been actual riding. The remainder would be test rides seeing if the bike was working or driving to / from the bike shop to try and get the bike fixed.

Not certain on the first owner on the reason for selling, maybe bought the bike and never got into it, maybe had problems with the bike as well. The second owner spent some money on the bike getting the mods done to make the bike run better, but yet only put on under 200km. In hindsight, it should have been an trigger to consider why he was selling. Now, there is me with 250km into the bike, and totally frustrated and pretty much having little to no confidence in the bike to keep running, not to mention the additional money I have into the bike. What I am left with is a bike that has a non working electric starter. So this bike is now on a third owner and likely about to a fourth and likely not a single one will have a positive experience with this bike.

I have a range of dealers that I have spoken with that, although being as helpful as they can be, they are really helpless as there seems to be no support from Husqvarna. I wish I had spoken to the dealers on this bike and it's issues before I purchased. I am mechanically inclined and can figure most things out, but don't want to be pulling apart this bike every other week, not to mention the additional tools like pullers I would need to purchase. The original searches I did made it seem the KTM/Husky still supported these bike and parts and support would not be an issue. I see that is not really the case. This bike is such a no-win situation.

I have likely had over 15 bikes in the past 20 years of mountain biking and along the way and at present have had some nice bikes. That is why when I made my first foray into moto I looked past the bikes like the CRF250L or the KLX250 or XT250 dual sport bikes as they were noticeably heavier offered less performance and components with fewer adjustments to tailor the ride and feel. I looked at the KTM and Husky's because they were lighter, offered higher performance and more ability to adjust the components on the bike.

Did I mention that I hate losing. This experience with this Husqvarna has turned me from an excited "Hey a just bought a motorbike" and wanting to get into the sport to someone now looking to cut his losses and get out. This is further complicated by the fact that my two sons also wanted to get into biking. I was excited to have something else that all three of us could do and continue to do as they got older, but now I just want to get this bike gone and push there energy into something else.

I hope I can get to sleep now that I have vented about this bike and stupid predicament I find myself in. Thanks for suggestions, and helpful advise on this bike. Hopefully it will go to someone with lower expectations on the bike and better suited to keep the bike operational.
  14. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    :cheers:
    gaz likes this.
  15. gaz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Electric starting is pure luxury. If the bike is so good otherwise whats wrong with kicking it over. Save a bit more weight without a battery too.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  16. Cyclic Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250
    I feel your pain, I just a bought a TE250 with low kms out of Whistler, it runs great and has minor issues (Aside from fuel pump i replaced due to age and low use and the low end bog which i am working on). I think if you are not happy, cut your losses and sell the bike at a bit of a discount (I only paid $4000 cdn for mine) and be honest to the buyer. The great thing about this bike is it meant for off road. So a kick starter only is not a huge loss, I kick start mine in the bush usually. A person buying a husq will know the history on these things. I had a 16' CRF250L before and dumped $3k into it (RACE TECH susp, exhaust and tuner) to try and make it what this bike is, The CRF is a heavy underpowered pig and if you want to ride mostly off road single track style don't bother getting one. You are local to me so you know McNutt, I ride in there and this bike belongs in there, the other dual sport 250's really sap your energy in there. Good luck with your ventures! PM me if you ever want to ride with our group.
    gaz and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  17. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now
    I told you so. :-)
    The are some older DS bikes that are not quite as heavy as the newer 250 street / trail bikes. I might look at that route as well. But hell, did it ever feel good to vent for a bit.

I know I should take some time and work through the pissed off bit, so I don't make a stupid decision.

On another perspective. Does any know an email contact for service at Husqvarna.
    thx
    Jeff
  18. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now

Thanks, the market segment for bikes like this at present is very slim. You have the Bets, KTM, Husky, and perhaps Sherco, then you have the Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha, each with their DS offering. Really there are two ways to go it seems. I ride a nicely setup mtn bike that I do notice the higher end suspension and component details, which is why the KTM and Husky are appealing. I just don't want to have a bike that I need to fix more than I ride.

Will take you up on the rides, but it would have to be an easy set of trails. My first trip up to Squamish was very eye opening and humbling. I would have thought more of my bike skills from mtn biking would have helped out more on the moto.
  19. 2wheeler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Suzuki TS185
    Yes, try to give her some more time. Like stepping back from a problem and taking a breather. Once she is gone, she is gone. The dual sport offerings will always be available in droves. Ride with some more with the local gang. Maybe swap bikes on the ride and see how they feel in the same sections when you are tired. I got back in to dirt riding about 5 yrs ago after 40 yrs away. Had the 310 for 4 yrs now. At 5' 4" and now 60 yrs old the height and weight of contemporary dirt bikes can be a challenge. None of them will give me a break on height lol. But weight, yes, and she is in the garage. I watch guys on dual sports that are larger and younger than myself struggle more with the extra weight and suspension on their bikes. All just thoughts from an old fart :oldman: Let us know how the rides go :)
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  20. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    New stuff is shit today. You will have issues with a new car. We sorted the issues and documented it. Fix gears, sort decompressor and ride. You did buy a 3rd hand bike and logically the first owner should have sorted it and had the gears swapped. Second owner probably just as clueless. Now you need to take the bull by the horns and fix the gears. You end up with a great bike or a more valuable bike to re-sell or trade in. I made sure to sort all issues within the 1st 6-7 month of owner ship before risking solo journeys in the outback. I almost gave up but persevered. Great bikes but you need to sort it. The factory screwed up assembly (tank spacing, decomp), and recalled parts are the norm across cars, bikes and everything today. I take the human approach to that poor little starter. Approach it with sympathy and it will last. Kick, bump and don't abuse it will preserve it's life. If it ever clicks, I simply stab the button but don't hold it. It will incrementally bump the engine and probably spin the next stab. If the decomp and gears are good the resistance is gone and shouldn't be a further issue.

That said. My bike is being completely rebuilt after 3k dirt miles due to a leaking head gasket, as far as I know so far. Until this point it started every time, even at 14k feet. With a puny sump and small amount of coolant I expected to tear it down, just wasn't sure when.
    durtkillon likes this.