1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2011 TE250 E STARTER?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by jetmani, Oct 4, 2017.

1. jetmani Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey guys,

Need some advice on starter for my bike.
    On the weekend I went out riding, dropped the bike a couple of times from then on the e starter would only occassionly turn the bike over, when I pushed the button there was a tick tick noise. when I took the bike home, washed it, starter works fine even when cold. my battery is fairly new.
    Any advice please?
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    keep riding.

and maybe clean & spray your starter switch contact points with something like wd-40. hit your starter relay contacts with dielectric grease or wd-40.

you should be fine.
  3. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is typical.

They start to fail when the motor is hot.

Husky recalled the 2011 bikes for binding starter gears.

Check yours for wear.
  4. jetmani Husqvarna
    AA Class

Are these what I need? s-l1600.jpg

5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    only if your ring gear is worn.

btw, according to this thread, the ring gear "kit" comes with the worm shaft, bearing, sprag retainer, and of course the ring gear.

but really- make sure you need it. I'd hate for you to change out all that stuff and then it turns out you need a starter motor instead ($300)
    R_Little likes this.
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    In the manual, there are a couple of quick tests of the starter you can do: check the brush/winding resistance, and a no-load spin test.
    • brush/winding resistance: using your multi-meter check the resistance (+) to ground, cable unconnected- and any reading is probably ok if it's less than a couple of ohms.
    • no-load spin test (starter out, bevel & worm shaft still connected[!]): calls for the motor to spin at 12000rpms. I'd say watch out when you attach power 'cause that little motor might jump; also- you're probably looking for any high-rpms, I wouldn't fixate on a number. [edit: I may be wrong about the bevel gear & worm shaft... these components will put a small load on the motor. hell, do it any way. 3-4 seconds]
    I've never have done either one- but I'm gonna hafta soon.

starter tests.jpg
    R_Little likes this.
  7. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Nice find!

Just FYI, the dealer replaced my starter motor early on. It helped for a while. a month later they changed the gears that seemed to solve the problem longer term.

The 2011s were know for poor heat treating or too tight tolerances. They were replaced for free by Husky.

if your gears are the original in a 2011 I'd bet they should be replaced if not already
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.