1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2012 TE310 Dreaded Starter

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Snoho310, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Seems my starter and flywheel liked each other so much they decided to mate. I haven't tore it open yet, I was hoping someone can tell me any tricks so I don't get too carried away. Logic says pull the starter and possibly the cover for the flywheel? Symptoms : Starter has been doing its random having to press the button twice but this time just clicks and the bike wont turn over even with the kick starter. Not worried the engine is seized it sat for a couple minutes while I got my 5 year old back going.In other words running cool at low RPM most of the day. FYI original starter replaced in 2012 under warranty.
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Is the starter turning when you kick it?
  3. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I can't kick it, its locked up. I haven't had a chance to open it up but by looking at a parts diagram there is more to the system than just the starter. Read another thread that had the same problem but they were Australian so the verbiage was hard to follow.
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    sounds like you have bigger problems than the kick/electric starting (as you suspect). It's not clear by your post if the engine spins or not.

drain the oil and look for "stuff". Then take the side covers off. hopefully, it's something like the starter sprag clutch or something similarly simple.

good luck.
  5. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Some good news the oil & both filters are perfectly clean, not one shiny speck. Pulled both covers and everything looks good, had the covers off when new for a small leak no change. The next thing obviously is pull the starter, I'm familiar with the term sprag clutch I'm just not sure where and what its function is..guessing it's a Bendix. 17959.jpeg 17959.jpeg
  6. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Valve check? if the decomp isn't working well it will lock up everything. Drove me crazy and could not even kick it.
    R_Little likes this.
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
  8. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Take out the spark plug and then kick it.

My TE locked up once when I was starting it.

Would not budge!

I bumped it with the bike in gear a dozen times and it suddenly worked fine????
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  9. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's a pretty good idea, Rich.

Rolling it backwards in gear might free up the sprag- if that's the problem.

Definitely worth a try. And it might even work with the spark plug in. If it does work, it might mean the spring on the sprag clutch is getting stretched.
  10. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

At least you will know if the problem is in the head or the bottom end.
  11. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Update. Pulled the plug still wouldn't turn over & I about crapped. Put a socket on the nut for the magnet and it turned slightly with a grinding noise rock it back and forth and down falls a piece of the Sprague clutch or at least where the diagram says it is. Engine turns over easily now. Any tips on getting the magnet off. FYI the motion Pro water cooled 4-stroke plug tool works awesome ...worth every penny. The plug came out and reinstalled easy and quick.
  12. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    (btw, didja start it up... or are you gonna wait I'm guessing?)

magnet==flywheel or rotor, right?

you can use an impact wrench to loosen the rotor nut; I would rather use a clutch holder, or strap wrench (not a chain wrench!) or put the bike in gear and hit the brakes (hold the pedal down with a screwdriver maybe) and a 6-point socket on the end of a flex bar or breaker bar.

your next issue is gonna be a rotor puller (husky part #8000 H2146 $75 but maybe ZTR sells one?). don't use a 2 or 3 jaw puller- do it right.

the thingy that fell out- did it look like a big needle bearing roller or dog bone?

get the workshop manual here:
    http://www.endurofactory.nl/pdfs/2012/2012_WSM_TC-TXC-TE250-310.pdf

and the parts manual here:
    http://docs.husqvarnaoutlet.com/parts//2012 TC-TE-TXC 250-310.pdf

flywheel puller.jpg
  13. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    No didn't start it but it turns over with the spark plug in. Good description the pieces look like dog bones. Sorry flywheel and the nut came off easily in first gear. I guess I'll order a puller which should guarantee I'll never have to use it again.
  14. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    sounds good.

let people know where you live... there might be someone who lives within an hour of you with a puller.
  15. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Good idea on location I'll add Seattle to the profile. Thanks for all your help.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  16. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    also, if you've never done this- nows the time to fix the famous grommet leak from the inside.

Seattle! We're practically neighbors :-), a bit more than 500 miles apart. Hell, you're closer to me than I am to L.A.

I used to work in Bellevue.

BTW, besides putting your location in your profile, make a direct request. Some folks need to be hit over the head before they figure out someone needs something- this, at least, according to my ex-wife. :excuseme:

say something like this: "Hey everybody, I'm looking for a flywheel puller for my '12 310. If you're in the Northwet (Seattle) or would be willing to send one to me and let me pay for the 2-way shipping... please let me know. thanks, Brian"

of course- if you don't wanna pay the shipping or whatever... use your own words.
  17. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Unfortunately did that a couple years ago I assume you're referring to the grommet where the wires come thru the case cover.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  18. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    hey Brian-
    I may have a line on a flywheel puller I could send you... so hold off on ordering one maybe.
    But you're probably gonna want to order a sprag clutch ASAP (unless you're planning on trying to fix yours, which I don't recommend this point).

Part #800087289
    CLUTCH ASSY, ONE WAY
    ITEM: #HHU-800087289
    $98.99

I found a new one on ebay for $80 to your door (from Poland):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-12-HUS...-starter-One-Way-800087289-ruota/142211964609
    but I bet it'll be weeks before it shows up.

so give Bill's a call (Salem, OR)- there's a good chance they have one in stock and can get it to you in a couple of days.

BMP- a Cafe Husky sponsor
    Give 'em a call (503) 585-1153 or toll-free 888-806-1153
    email: bmp@teleport.com
    http://billshusky.com/

Bill's Motorcycles Plus
    1122 12th St SE,
    Salem, OR 97302

Ask for Bill, Bryon, Jon or Jonathan (IIRC- seems like I'm missing somebody)
  19. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Scott,
    You da man. I'll hold off on the puller and I'll call Bills right now, always support a sponsor.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  20. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Zip Ty makes the holder and Husky sells the puller. Do not skimp here. That flywheel has to be put on perfectly...no impact guns.

If the sprag is roached, check the flywheel and ring gear surfaces. They might be roached also. The flywheel is expensive. My sprag/flywheel/ring gear seized together and I have never been able to get it apart and I tried hard.

Remember you can always pull all the E-start stuff off and put a TC250 cover on the hole and have a reliable kick only bike that is 5# lighter.