1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2012 TE310 Dreaded Starter

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Snoho310, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Update #3... Success! I ended up replacing the sprag, sprag retainer, needle bearing basket & ring gear. All parts were OEM mostly sourced from Motosports and were labeled either Husqvarna or KTM. The ring gear comes as a kit and includes the Worm Drive shaft. Shout out to Motosport for the quick turnaround and really good prices. I followed R_littles write up and lapped the flywheel to the crank and used sleeve retainer. Everything went together smoothly and torqued the nut to a little over 60 lbs. She fired right up and I used the button many times with no fail. Thanks again to everyone who helped especially trenchcoat for the advice and tools. Total cost was well under $200 , plus I learned a little bit more about the bike. IMG_20171004_173007844.jpg
    Trenchcoat85, NYCMX and Johnrg like this.
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    hey ho- hoping you added oil!

(everybody else: Brian and I talked about some of these points offline; I wanted to capture some of the info here for future readers)

so what part numbers were the kit and what part numbers were the individual items? what was the price difference?

did you install the new worm/starter shaft (guessing yes) or did you reuse the old one? any problems?

how did the new Polish sprag look? any pictures?

how much metal shards etc were in the case? did you blow it with air and parts cleaner or what?

any hints or lessons learned that you can pass on to the rest us who haven't done this before?

flywheel torque: 60lbs is probably okay (me- I think I'd go to 70lbs. husky has weird torques- all over the map). did you use the holder doing it? or impact wrench?

hold on to the puller & holder for a couple 3 weeks to make sure we're home free. Hell, maybe come to the Northwest Husky get-together at China Hat (Bend OR) November 9-12 and bring 'em with you. There's a pretty good chance me and my adult kid are going. And bring your young ones- there's plenty of easy terrain. 2thDoc- you too. The crew from Bill's is usually there- you're in the neighborhood I believe?

This seemed to go pretty smooth- hopefully it stays fixed. And thanks for your write-ups.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Hey, I wanted to publicly thank Brian!

I got a brand new flywheel puller drop-shipped to me (...at about 50% more than I paid a couple of years ago; the price has gone up!). Apparently, Brian thought he scratched or bent the tee-handle too much, and since he was going need one for future work- he went the extra mile and had the new one shipped to me. I bet everything was fine with the old one, but still.... thanks very much.

Cafe Husky people are great.
    Snoho310 and Johnrg like this.
  4. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Scott it was the least I could do. The only way to get the husky puller to release the flywheel is to add leverage to the T-handle. A similar diameter pipe would be the correct way but I ended up using the closed end of a large wrench which indented the handle, no big deal but it wasn't mine. The sprag clutch I got from Poland was OEM and with 2 day shipping was $90.00 the same price as Motosport. All other OEM parts were sourced from motosport which seems to have access to most OEM parts at a great price compared to dealer pricing.A couple of these parts were in bags labeled KTM so they aren't NOS - Ring Gear Kit includes worm drive gear #800A7073 $66.34 Sprag retainer #8000A6974 $9.91 Needle bearing Cage #8000A7074 $8.09. The only parts that needed replacing were the sprag & ring gear but why risk it.

Most of the metal except for some small parts of the ring gear were tiny metal shaving which attached themselves to the flywheel so I just used brake cleaner to clean out the case. FYI the flywheel is available for $338.00 from Motosport and I'm hoping I won't need one. If the little bit of galling to the inside of the flywheel blows out this sprag clutch I let everyone know but for now it starts and runs.

Thanks again to everyone who posted!
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  5. monak83 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
  6. WWWRU Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Do you have an update on how well your estart is holding up? I am currently running kicker only on my 2012 TE310 because I was shearing multiple flywheel keys due to bike flaming out. I would like to get the magic button back.