1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1982 CR 430 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Bengt Husky, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

2. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Finally finished...except for the new tank that needs a new boss that the tap fits to fitting and welding...!!

She kicked into life and sounded sweet.

Massive thanks to Andy at HVA Factory for all the parts and assistance, Mark at Pinchcliffe Engineering for the re-bore and Engineering assistance and my wife for the constant supply of tea....It's the last Husky....honest...!!!
  3. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    That's how it starts...
  4. evcross0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 1/2 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    75 400 WR, 2014 KTM 350XC, 74 Honda
    Something to be careful of; if the tranny was the original with the skinny shift forks, use the clutch when you shift gears during the break in period. Use it when your in mud or sand after that. Make sure the forks are perfectly straight before you put them back in the motor. I had that same bike new in 1982 and ruined two trannys in the sucker. After tranny #2 I put an 83 tranny in it. That solved all the problems. 83 was the first year of the big shift forks and larger bosses on the 3 shift gears.
  5. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    evo - do you have any photos comparing the shift forks?
  6. Merrill Brown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Bengt Husky likes this.
  7. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi,

I had the head and the barrel bead blasted.

Cheers,

Steve
  8. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    yeah , then it's maybe just one more, LOL, that's how i wound up with 6 Huskys
    Picklito and 86 400 XC like this.
  9. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    I figure, since they call it a "12 step program"... that I need 4 more!
    hawaiidirtrider likes this.
  10. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Any further piccys of your race day??? did it perform ok?
  11. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here's one

IMG_1662.JPG
  12. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

On the day in the paddock... P1000363.JPG
  13. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    What happened to the gold forks??
  14. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

I got fed up re-painting them after every week I rode due to the stone chips. So I stripped them and the brake plate to give it a works look....
  15. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Riight..the old resto to goodo problems. to ride or to admire

it took one ride to turn my resto into a 30 y/old sad looking bike... but I don't care that much as everything works....I didn't finish with a pristine "look" as I wanted to slog through mud and rocks and sticks and sand and all the stuff that wears them out.

the gold was sensational and the cast looks trick.
  16. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think it looks great either way, and I'm glad you're riding it and getting it scratched up! I'm trying very hard to "prepare myself" for the scratches that are GOING TO happen to my 73 resto. What bars are you running... they have a nice "look" to them. And the pipe?
  17. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

The bars are renthals high bend...I had to change the clamps to fit 1 1/8" from the original swept back clamps. The pipe and clamps are from HVA Factory in the UK. I prefer the works look for racing minimal maintenance...
  18. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not sure what you're explaining... it looks like you're still running 7/8" bars, but with the later model upright handlebar clamps... did you change to the later triples, too? If so, that's been a good swap for me. Those later triples have more offset so the bike ends up with a little less trail and a nice steering feel.
  19. hawaiidirtrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 430 cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    01' cr 250 honda, 01 300ec, Beta 525

Nice.. My wife doesn't even know I even picked up this husky in the avatar yet.. Thanks! I'm seeing more and more and learning from these great husky projects. I'm going to be doing some of this to my very own 82' 430 CR.. just getting ideas on what avenue to pursue. I've been thinking about getting the pro circuit side plates for instance so it's easier to grab under the seat as a grab bar for trail riding. I do like the stock cr look best but I remember riding this type of bike in 82' and hating that the number plates where in the way when I wanted a place to grab... idk.. still figuring on what might look best and work best overall. Thanks so much!!! very cool!!! There's no vintage mx here from what I know.. outer islands have it though.. You also have some great pics and links to companies that may help in my rebuild.. Thankyou very much!
  20. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

They are the straight triples that HVA supply, I could have sworn they are 1 1/8". The ride position is great but I find I'm throwing away the rubber cones after every meeting as they get shagged...!! I think its a combination of higher bars, bigger jumps, a 105kg gorilla and the cone rubber not as dense....:eek:

They are the standard tripples. Everything on the forks is standard other than uprated springs from race tech to suit the 105 kg gorilla...!!

I use 20 wt oil and they are stiff as anything...maybe a little too stiff on hard small breaking bumps at speed, but that's the compromise.