1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1982 CR 430 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Bengt Husky, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

IMG_0407.JPG P1010311.JPG

Well, she is all stripped down as you can see and ready for my old man to show me how to strip the gearbox...and more importantly find out why she didn't / wouldn't select 3rd gear. My old man thinks its the selector as they were famous for coming unscrewed.

I'll post more pics as I progress.

The complete bike picture is from when Mr Dave Thorpe 3 times world champion had finished with her after the Vets MXDN at Farleigh Castle
  2. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Gear box completely stripped down today and I think I've found a couple of reasons why it was so difficult to get positive gear changes. Third gear is pretty badly worn on the dogs.

Worn 3rd Gear.JPG

The "kicker" attached to the gear lever is worn and has a lot of side play. The selector shaft bore in the crank case is also quite worn all making for bad gear changes. Worn kicker.JPG

Just looked up the cost of a new 3rd gear....£100 ($160) ouch....
  3. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

The rest of the gears and clutch down look too bad, although a number of the thrust washers look a bit knackered (worn) Clutch basket has some wear.
    P1010387.JPG P1010369.JPG
  4. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good pics, that clutch has had some use! This thread is going to be very useful to me. I am hoping you can get some pics and pass on some of your old chaps knowledge while he's working on it?
  5. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 CR240 CR500 1988 WR430
  6. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Huskydogg,

I thought the gear looked like it had been "fettled" in some way...? The Husky shop I use here in the UK has the 349 (3rd Gear) listed for that price on their website. I am trying to get something a bit cheaper.

Wilderbeest,

No probs with picking the old mans brains, but he left Husqvarna in 1983, so his knowledge from 83 onwards is limited. If you see my avatar pic that's him in between Bryan Wade and Andy Roberton (far right) after winning a british championship in about 1973. The fella on the left is Bryan Leask UK Husky importer. He worked for Husqvarna from 1966 through till 1983 so anything in that range he knows shit loads about.
  7. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

8. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is fella in the states I got my barrel piston and head from. He's breaking two 430's at the moment and is dead straight. My bits only took a couple of days to get here.
    clintmaderos@yahoo.com
  9. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    I agree with Huskydoggg. I also tried to use a Dremel tool to put new edges on the dogs of a 3rd gear and wound up splitting the case again to replace it. Try the guys in Oregon (Ebay) called Tritrophy. They have pretty good prices on gears and may have the one you are looking for.
  10. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Thanks to Andy at HVA-Factory in the UK for getting me a NOS 349 Gear see attached pic. I will be trying to get more of these from the USA as I'm told third gear does take a lot of punishment ?

Huskydogg see pm.

P1010389.JPG

see the difference in the dogs here.

P1010391.JPG
    hawaiidirtrider likes this.
  11. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Man, someone filed those dogs down to nubs. Glad you found the gear and yes, 3rd gear does take a beating.
  12. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Also found this little beauty...its a wonder the bike ran at all...

IMG_0478.JPG
  13. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Those are available from Sudco in Compton, California for less than $30. Measure between the bolt holes because there are different sizes. Here is their website:
    http://www.sudco.com/
  14. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Swapped this tank for a pair of 35 year old Akront rims and £80 at the Telford show.

Picture 020.jpg
  15. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Picture 027.jpg The Ohlins are almost ready for the frames arrival back from the powder coaters...
    fix likes this.
  16. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thought I was going to be re-building the engine this week, until I found this crack....:mad:

Picture 027.jpg
  17. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    See if you can get away with just getting another left centercase. I got a set from an 84 250CR that I need to remove the centerb to use for my 430WR
  18. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

A pair of cases for these in the UK is £400 (approx $650)...:eek:
  19. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    I bought a case for a '78 250 OR for less than a hundred bucks. Look on Ebay.
  20. hvaloz2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

steve i know its magnesium but can it be welded?... the welder has do a special process because magnesium produce its own oxygen and even supports combustion under water!. seem to remember the works bsa frames of jeff smith were some sort of magnesium.
    Nordic likes this.