YZ 125 - sweeeet

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by rockdancer, Aug 26, 2015.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    there stock aren't they the ti footpegs. thought I read that somewhere?

after reading rockdancers post bout his young fella i was thinking the exact same thing walt. I couldn't wait to get a bike when I was a kid, forever looking through bike mags dreaming of new but knowing an old clunker was all I was getting. was still stoked though. kids of today I don't know. :oldman:
    lankydoug likes this.
  2. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Yes the G model was my favourite 80 - first plastic tank - I had an 80 F and then a 80 J . Never had any 80's YZ 125s - always wanted an L model . HaD a few dreams about them and actually thought maybe I had one ..

Maybe that's another thread :)

Never forget seeing a guy fishtailing an 80 G up a gravel road - thought it was amaizing .
    that's was before youtube I guess
    lankydoug likes this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I remember salivating over the KDX175 when it first came out. I wanted one so freaking bad I could taste it. Never got one but learned to rebuild the trans on my 76 Yz125 with air fork!

My eyes burned holes in the mag I looked at it so much. Seems so futuristic at the time.

[IMG]

instead I was riding / fixing this. Note a air forks (big tanks on top) no springs, they sucked bad, as did the rear. But did I care, heck no... dirtbike.

[IMG]
    shawbagga, juicypips and lankydoug like this.
  4. Ken Hynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE R 2013 Yamaha WR450F
    I have always had a soft spot for the YZ 125, 'twas a weekend rippin a buddy's 83 that got me back into riding after more than 20 years. I would really like a new one.

BTW UFO make current plastic in that hurricane yellow.
    Kevin_TE250 likes this.
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    well hear i am the freak on the site i have a 05 YZ 450 ti spring on my KDX beat that yes it is stupid lite
    juicypips likes this.
  6. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    Maybe not better, but certainly easier.
    shawbagga likes this.
  7. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Well troy i was keeping this a secret but my first bike a kmx i put honda cr 250 forks on it, a little heavy but that thing soaked up fallen trees like they were gravel.
    An as for yamaha ive got 2003 wrf 250 ;( i know four stroke, it dropped a valve and was too cheap to pass up on.
  8. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    ha ha droped valve score 1 for the 2t,s we dont have no stinkin valves:thumbsup:
  9. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    powervalves! but those are optional
  10. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Reed petals are a valve... Yeah im not overly rushed to finish it but when its done should be sweet for a fair while, going stainledd valves if anyones seen the price of titanium ones you would know why £££
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    nothing wrong with ss, they are just heavier.
  12. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    More durable too im not gunna be over reving it and im not the quickest so im sure i wont notice the difference.
    Still want a yz125 for the missus :) honest its for her
  13. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I rode the bike the other day around the street and damn it felt good. Started with a light dab , sounds so sweet , sounded deeper than a 125 ever should . Gave it a bit and the front wheel comes up in a very controllable way - man these things go well . I know I will love the motor already .
    I don't even feel like touching it - maybe that will change .
    The pipe that's on it is a DEP rev and it seemed to pull well enough from low down but had a nice top end that for sure. I would have probably preferred the torque version for trail riding but as it may see a few mx tracks the pipe should be good.
    Wish I had bought one of these a while ago .

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfcdPTxi-lo
    juicypips likes this.
  14. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
  15. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Mikael won the junior world championship on that bike .

I haven't ridden my bike yet - so no real updates . ( been in the UK for a month )
    I have told the wife about it though - and I am glad to say I still have the bike ....

I weighed the YZ and my Wr125 on the weekend as a comparison . The YZ was around 45 kg front and rear - 90 kg . The Wr around 54kg front and 58kg rear ! - 112kg . That's 22kg ( 50lb) more .
    The Wr had more fuel and all protection gear on it ofcourse. Even so the bare YZ would have to be around 10 to 12kg less than a Husky CR .
    You can really feel the difference when you put the bike on a stand.
  16. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Took the YZ 125 out for a couple of hours of trail riding to see how it goes on some hills etc

First impressions are -
    Suspension - fantastic . Didn't touch it and it feels very good on trails . I was expecting to knocked around a bit more but I found both ends to be very very good for me at 185 lb + around 20 lb of gear .
    I didnt come close to bottoming it out - felt great over jumps .
    The SSS forks were especially good and going through whoops it was very stable and much better than my re-valved and re-sprung WR125. Id like to get some for the WR .

Through some tight single track I was more at home and faster on my softer feeling WR165 - in terms of sliding into corners and power out .

The motor is very responsive and very strong in the mid range . It did bog down more on some hills if I didn't keep on the throttle and clutch . I have now gone to a 12t front sprocket and will try the original pipe as I think the REV pipe works best on MX tracks.
    It tending to spin the back wheel easier too and felt a bit racier so I think a Flywheel weight will help to prevent stalling and help traction . Im also not sure on the tyres
    It felt very good on a few hills but I tackled a couple of harder hills which Id made on the 165 and I didn't make it up them .

The bike wheelies a easier than my WR - which makes it fun to ride .
    The fuel tank supposedly holds 8 litres - but to me it seemed to take most of the 10 litres I had in a can - it seems as big as the WR tank

I spoke to original owner and he had only done about 4 hrs on the bike so for the price I paid (40% of new price) its the best value bike Ive ever owned

In summary I guess I was impressed with the bike as an out of the box MX bike which could be trail ridden . A few modifications and it will be better again - whether I prefer it to the WR on trails remains to be seen.

DSC_4541.JPG DSC_4499.JPG
    duggoey and Norman Foley like this.
  17. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Friend rides an older YZ125 and when it needed a new top end he did a 144 conversion. He feels it was the best woods mod.
  18. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Yeh - if I can get one cheap enough . I know they do a stroker kit too but I like 125s
    I am doing a ride with a guy next week with a YZ151 stroker. He has spent $20 k on it . His mate has a WR 125 so I will take the 165 for them to ride .
  19. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
  20. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    apparently - 151 kits are expensive + SSS suspension modified etc
    its an 04 WR which were road registerable
    he said hed be taking the bike to his grave !

68684_879195365440404_6877702734795679672_n.jpg
    dartyppyt, juicypips and Norman Foley like this.