YZ 125 - sweeeet

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by rockdancer, Aug 26, 2015.

1. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Ok so I d better start this thread on my new purchase .
    Picked it up today from Cash Converters - pawn shop

Walked in there n Monday looking for the very rare bargain you get - you know - like a cheap pair of boots - under valued sidis or something

Saw the bike - normally the bikes in there are crap but had second look and thought geez - that's a clean bike - It was practically brand new

Asked them what year model it was and they came out with paperwork - 2014 model .
    Looked at price again - whaaat !
    It was about the what you pay for a three year old fairly well used one -
    Half the new bike price - a steal

Thought ok I really want this bike - acted cool and then knocked them down a bit ...

Didn't even start the bike and picked it up today

Started first kick - sounds sweet

I don't like the sticker kit that much and not into blingy pipes but hey I am not complaining

I love the quality of the engineering around the frame - headstock
    and feel of parts - feels real good - feels like new
    Love it already

Attached Files:

2. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    The bike is now in a secret location until I find the right moment to break it to my wife .. 20150826_165803.jpg

I really like how compact the motor is .... The intake boot is very short as you can see here

The bike feels really really light to pick up
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
  4. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    bargain mate good score:thumbsup:
  5. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks guys - only issue is not being able to ride it for quite a while :(
    Going to the UK soon and don't want any injuries
  6. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    that's alright gives you time to personalise it & admire its beauty while still new. is it for mx track or enduro/trailriding? handguards, bashy, rad guards, fww, bigger tank? get the newer plastics & keep the oem for resale!
    rockdancer likes this.
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Here's a list of comments on my own 08 YZ 125

Best mods;
    Spring it for your weight no need to re-valve
    SKF fork seals and Maxima 5w fliud
    oversize front brake rotor
    aftermarket pipe.. mine has the FMF fatty but there's a half dozen to pick from depending how you ride.
    Tubliss front and back with Dunlop MX51 and MX52 tires 4.5 psi rear and 7.5 psi front

Mods I did to fit my 6'6" height;
    Pastrana bend bars
    tall seat

Other mods;
    Fastway steering damper mount with bark busters built in
    V force 3 reeds
    Brake fluid cooler mounted to the rear caliper
    FMF Turbinecore for the USFS sparky (no improvement in performance but quieter than stock)
    Rad braces

Tips;
    The shock will let you know it needs serviced by kicking off roots and square edged stuff. Use 3w Maxima

The carb works great once jetted, I saw no reason to buy a Lectron to replace it.

I've had the same Iridium plug in my bike for 3 years and it's a first kick to start hot or cold and crisp running.

I plan on making mine a 134 or 139 http://www.maxrpms.com/category/motorcycle-kits/yamaha/yz125/ when it's time for a re-plate. Mine has had 5 top ends on the stock cylinder and still looking great. The previous owner put a Hot Rods crank kit in it that didn't last 5 tanks of gas. I had Vince at Mr Crankshaft rebuild the crank 2+ years ago and it's been great ever since.

One of the best things about the 05-2015 YZ 2 strokes is that any aftermarket part you can imagine is not only available but made by several companies so you have gobs of choices and usually the lowest price.
    rockdancer, Motosportz and shawbagga like this.
  8. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    how many hours has that thing done doug?
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Very nice and fun bikes, I ride my buddies some and like it a lot.

"The bike is now in a secret location until I find the right moment to break it to my wife .."

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :)
    duggoey, shawbagga and rockdancer like this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    BTW there is (or was?) a super clean 04 CR125 husky at a crap car dealer here a while back, they wanted WAY to much and I could not talk them down to a reasonable price, it sat there for years, might still be there.
  11. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I really don't know, I maintain it very well so it feels like a bike with about 6 months riding on it. It's on its 3rd or 4th set of plastics, second clutch basket, no telling how many chains and sprockets. A local pro rode it and said it was the best set up 125 he'd ever ridden. Most of the time I prefer my 09 WR250 but when I get the urge for a 125 I hop on it for a couple hours. Lately it hasn't got much use. I let my son's friends ride it when they are beginners then when they are hooked I make them go get their own bike, so far there are three young guys out there that got their start on that bike.
    mtdirtbag likes this.
  12. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks Doug - some good tips there

I now what you mean about crisp motor and jetting seems to be a non issue . I did have an older 04 road registered version for a while that was ported and that thing was quick. Never changed jets .

Not sure whether to go with Boyesen RAD valve or the V force 3 reeds don't know if I ll need them anyway but had Boyesen before and seemed to work well.

I think I put you on to that 139 kit a while back when you were talking about selling the YZ . I like that it it uses a light piston and keeps plenty of over-rev . Again not sure if its worth worrying about.

I heard that they are a slightly heavier spring in 14 model so not sure if I will need to re spring it . I was quite impressed to read somewhere that the rear spring is a lightened type which are a lot lighter than a steel spring

The plan is to keep it mainly for doing a bit of MX track riding and make it semi trail bike orientated. I ll keep the wr165 for trail rides and that may be upgraded to a bigger bike for longer rides eg TE450 or 449

I have a 14 year old son - we may get to ride together now . But he hasnt really ridden yet and shows no interest .

I will track the ride findings and any mods on this thread ...

Link to 2014 Review
    http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/2014-test-ride-yamaha-yz125

Here is a link to an Endurised? version :

http://enduro21.com/index.php/component/k2/item/2920-my-ride-–-mikael-persson’s-yamaha-yz-125

Here is the link to the 2015 125 shootout

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/2015-125-shootout
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yamaha has used Titanium springs in several model of and on over the years. I have had a Ti spring and steel spring in my hands and the difference in weight is crazy. You can save several pounds right there.
  14. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Yes, I had a titanium spring on a 2005 yz125 and it felt like a feather when you picked it up. Also there were a few years Yamaha put titanium foot pegs on their 2 strokes, I'm thinking 06-08 but I'm not sure. The titanium spring was good for a 160 lb range rider so I let it go down the road since I'm 205 lbs + or - 5. I'd like to have a titanium spring for a 210 lb guy but I looked up the price of the factory spring and it was crazy expensive like $500.

FYI the stock springs on the newer YZ450 are perfect for a 200 lb rider on a yz125 so if you know anyone who is re-springing a 450 pick up his fork and shock springs at a bargain price.
    Motosportz likes this.
  15. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I am 185 lb, fairly slim and 6 ft - I will try it standard
    This 14 model has titanium footpegs
    shawbagga likes this.
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

It is amazing how times have changed. When I was a kid....50 years ago all we could talk about was getting a dirt bike. Worked my ass off at 12 and bought my first one. Never looked back.

Now the gaming/social media world has kind of extinguished that for so many kids. The lack of riding areas hurts too. Have many friends with kids that have no interest in riding. I think it is a sad fact that outdoor sport/recreation seems to be largely ignored by many of todays kids. It is just a primal exhilarating experience to be a physical, participating part of the outdoor environment.

Sorry for the de-rail Ashley.
  17. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The stock 450 springs are

Forks = 4.7
    Shock = 5.7

If you look your bike up on the Race Tech website it would probably recommend something pretty close to that.

That's cool that you have titanium pegs.

Maybe with the price of fuel going down the price of metals will go down as well and we can all add some titanium bling to our bikes.
  18. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Walt - I used to drawl over bike magazines and draw pictures of dirt bikes and yes I saved and got my first one at 12 too

Some kids are into bikes - he just isn't into bikes or fishing or even girls yet ..

Ive heard some negative comments about titanium footpegs - shattering

They look and feel nice . I cant believe how nice the gearbox feels on this thing - changing the gears . Sorry I am rambling now.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Seen two Ti pegs snap in the woods after crashing in rocks. hard to ride back with no footpeg. For some applications soft bendy steel is better.
  20. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    My first decent bike was a 1980 yz125, I saved from a paper route for 8 months and traded a 1976 kx125 in on it. I was 6' tall 15 years old and probably weighed about 150 lbs and rode the crap out of that thing in the southern Colorado prairie. I still have a great fondness for the yz125.
    woodsrider likes this.