Yamaha's 2016 wr250

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by firecrotch, Oct 13, 2015.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    No ADR for Aust though. Dumb. Are we getting the yzx or wr?
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You are probably correct about most not needing lights and a bigger tank but most THINK they need it so they will only buy a bike with it.
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
  4. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    wonder if the YZ300E will come to the party:excuseme:
  5. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Once you get a tuner who understands these 4CS, they are a very good fork but the problem is finding the right tuner...half the time it's the rider that can be the problem as they want a do all fork - plush for enduro riding then wanting to land 20ft jumps.
    Same goes with air forks and all forks in general...get a quality tuner and the forks work. Heck, l can remember the media and internet forums rubbishing zook 45-50mm forks but once tuned, they were a great fork.

Unfortunately, factories will drive the customer to 4CS and air forks because they are easier to manufacturer.

As far as e-start...l'm a convert and after 20 years of kicking big 2 strokes, l can live with the extra couple of kilos, it's cheaper to lose weight than kick a flooded bike!!!
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I read the article for the 250x. Hey as mentioned at least Yamaha sees a potential market and wants to dip a 2 stroke toe in. What major updates has KTM made to their 2t line lately? If it wasn't for 2t Huskies making waves we probably wouldn't see much in the way of up grades.

This is a good thing fellas...
    reveille, shawbagga and troy deck like this.
  7. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Be big things for ktm 2ts next year I'd imagine!
  8. Jhunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

The article makes NO mention of a flywheel weight on the new Euro WR250. That just seams odd to me...
  9. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    They updated the clutch in the 250/300 to a diaphragm spring and added damping in the process. I think that was in the last year of Husaberg so can not use the Husky logic there. Hasn't there been talk of a new 4 pound lighter 125 on here recently?
  10. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Oooohhh, I stand corrected. That is really major!
  11. Jhunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Guys - A few other internet sites are calling this Euro WR250 smoker a total 'Photoshop'. No such bike... Just passing that along.
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The thing about the Yamaha is that the forks work really good off the showroom floor. I bought my son a 2011 YZ450 when he was in high school and a beginner rider who weighed 180 lbs. the stock set up was excellent. Two years later he was getting a lot faster and weighing over 200 lbs so I re-sprung his bike for a 210 lb rider which is what I happen to weigh. When I ride his bike I have to say it's as good as any re-valved set up that I've ridden. My re-valved Husky wr250 is smoother in the woods especially when ridden slow but the YZ works really good in the woods if you go fast and it's perfect on a motocross track which it should be since that is were it was intended to be ridden.

I'd much rather buy a $200 oversize tank then pay to get 4cs forks fixed and another big plus to the competition Yamaha models is that they offer a GYTR tuner. (a programmable ecu can be added to the WRs that don't have them) I bought a GYTR tuner and it is really effective to either mellow the power out for slick mud or make it snappy for sand track. I have been tweaking on an aggressive more power tune for race fuel that off idle is less likely to stall or flame out, snappy in the middle and will pull hard on top and the small changes to fuel and timing make a noticeable difference. I haven't compared what the prices out the door for the Yamaha and the KTM/Husky but I do know that my local Yamaha dealer has been a lot easier to deal with when it comes to discounting off MSRP. I bought my 2011 in 2013 yz450 new for $5,100 cash and the closest KTM Husky dealer will barely budge off MSRP which I think is already more than the Yamaha msrp.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Like I said it is very regional. Here on the west coast big tanks are almost a must. IMS sells piles of them for a reason. 70-100 miles days are not unheard of and log dez races gobble fuel like crazy. I've sold piles of Lectron's solely based on the need for more range.

as for the 8 pounds... I have secretly been riding a 2016 KTM 350 and 2015 KTM300 and would not even think for a second about trading the e-starts for the 8 pound loss I might get. Bikes already feel very light and I love the E-start both from a convenience standpoint and from a stall and start standpoint etc. I see it both and nice to have and also as something that could actually make or brake a result in a race. Almost everyone here I ride with wants E-start. My opinion only.
    ohmygewd, lankydoug and 454x like this.
  14. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Raced D37 for years on stock tanks with a 2 stroke.... Yes Jap 2 strokes with small tanks... CR125, CR250, YZ250, 125CR, RM250 and KX500 never had a fuel problem
  15. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    [quote="Motosportz, post: 551497, member: I have secretly been riding a 2016 KTM 350 and 2015 KTM300[/quote]

You are shithouse at keeping secrets Kelly! ;)
  16. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
  17. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    In the North East we still need lights to ride many enduros, it's just nice to have to not fudge some silly battery set up. I'm not a night rider, but this time of year we are riding into the early darkness and a little light is welcome on the way home. In NY we need a headlight/taillight on the even the shortest road connectors to be legal, with an ATV or street plate.

Estart, just makes life so much easier and is a lifesaver for an average rider in a race. I went back to a manual clutch and like it better. I'd take Estart over Rekluse any day.

Bigger tank is nice for Enduros and DS rides. We don't do the big distances around here just trail riding, but even in a HS... one less pit stop can be a God send in a tight race.
  18. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    YZ250x here no lights and no large tank... Erek kudla has one and it basically has a 18" rear and a k/s....
  19. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    For anyone that is considering a YZ or a WR with the performance ECU, you should know that if you buy the GTYR tuner or use your friends tuner you can create and save up to 9 different maps in the tuner and it takes about 2 minutes to program one into your bike. You can also monitor sensor values like temp sensors to see if they are functioning properly, view or reset the hour meter and read rpm to set the idle speed.