Yamaha's 2016 wr250

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by firecrotch, Oct 13, 2015.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
  2. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    ALL I CAN SAY IS YEA YAMAHA:banana::banana::banana: THATS 3 NEW OFFROAD MODELS IN TWO YEARS :thumbsup::applause::thumbsup:
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Yesterday I heard from my local dealer that a 2 450F models were coming out as well. A GNCC competition model and an enduro model like the 250Fx. 18" wheels and electric starts with different FI mapping and camshafts for off road as well as suspension valving specific to off road. Yamaha is getting it together.
    Benduro likes this.
  4. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Hopefully its not a completely dumbed down WR like they normally do....
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    This is news to me.

A few comments and quotes from the article linked in post 1.

"the WR250 for the European market while North America gets the YZ250X cross-country version."
    no comment needed

"Wide ratio 5-speed transmission" well how wide? I think the 250xcw ktm and comparable Husky are in the 3.0 range.

"Enduro clutch" what does this mean? Damping?

Looks like an enduro bike for folks that have access to dealer plates though I have not seen any starting line ups in the european market this is headed.
  6. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Maybe a reliable lighting coil from this bike can be fitted to the 250x for us here? One would think it would do better here in north America than going straight after the euro manufacturers but who knows. Good to see new options. I'm digging the headlight! We're getting closer.
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Air/oil forks have they been worked out? I've never ridden a bike with them and just wouldn't want another front end problem like my 4CS.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    IMO one of the best things about Yamaha is that they still have spring/hydraulic dual camber forks in both sides, even in the 2016s. They get the #1 review in every magazine shootout and KTM 4cs takes last place with the Honda/Kawi air forks in the middle, if that means anything to you. I only personally know a few pro riders and none of them like air forks and they don't know any other pros that prefer air forks over conventional forks. That's enough info for me to steer clear of them until they get sorted... same as the 4cs.
  9. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

So when they (Yamaha) say air/oil it's not the same as the "air" forks I hear about? Thanks and I agree stay FAR away of the 4CS and the "air" type if they are anything like them. The manufactures can bring out new stuff as long as its an improvement over what it's replacing. Seems like Yamaha may be doing just that. Now on with the E-start :D.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Its a nice start but really is not much more than a YZ with a revavle and 18" rear. They need a good e-start / lighting coil and big tank to really start making a dent in KTMs dominance.
    shawbagga, robertaccio and 454x like this.
  11. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    i dont care much about Estart if you have it where it'll start within a kick or 2 but needs a little bigger tank and lights help.... really how many in the US use lights and go 60 miles.... not many...
  12. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Yeah, but usually racing it is so close.
    It sucks to go down with three riders running neck and neck for 1-3rd places.
    You are kicking a flooded bike while the two in front of you, hit there e start buttons and take off.
    From kicking you end up 5th. That's where you realize an e start button is worth it! If it works!
    Norman Foley likes this.
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Heck it sucks to be 56 and kick starting a bike :oldman:.
    Rob578, allphazes, 454x and 1 other person like this.
  14. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Says it has a lighting coil and headlight. It's a step in the right direction.
    Motosportz likes this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Must be regional. The majority of people here want E-start and headlight. Headlights are great for avoiding head on in the deep woods. Lots of use here in the PNW going 60 plus miles and wanting headlights.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    KTMs have e-start and are some of the lightest bikes offered. Zero down side for me and lots of up side.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  17. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zero downside? adds 8 lbs... most here remove it on 2 strokes.... Really no BLM type land here so need for lights... most races only 90 to 120 minutes so only 125s need gas....

My biggest problem with the WR range of bikes is always the same.... It seems like they remove ALL the power and 10 or 15 cinder blocks and put the crapiest suspension they could find... I hope they are smart about it this time... more options the better
  18. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    All l can say is congrats to Yamaha for being the only jap company to recognise that 2 strokes haven't and aren't going away!! That 2016 is the greatest update that they have had with the 250 platform since the start of this century!!
    john01 likes this.
  19. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

And for the time being they don't have 4CS stuck on the front ends!
  20. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    if my memory serves the last Yamaha WR250s 89-97 were purdy much full strength YZs from the year before except 94 when both were damn rowdy and the WR stayed that way to the end anybuddy else remember the long rod and 360 kits:thumbsup:
    Motosportz likes this.