WOW look at this Nomad TR650 tank!!!

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Motosportz, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
  2. Mark Regier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra
    IMG_3659.JPG IMG_3639.JPG View attachment 30425 View attachment 30425 While this is a beautiful and certainly functional/convenient tank, I must interject an option for hauling extra fuel.

For months before planning a trip through Central America with my wife, I obsessed over carrying enough fuel. There was reportedly a section of terrain through Baja that was over 200 miles between stations. With the possibility of getting lost and consequently doing extra miles, I was concerned. I was getting around 160 miles per tank with a clark tank on a Honda XR 650 L.

We left on the trip anyway, and as I observed local methods, and realized that as an American, I had bought into the "buy more stuff" method of solving this problem. Here's what I watched Central Americans do.

1. If you're worried about range, fill up every time you can.
    2. If you're still concerned, look for empty soda bottles in a trash can (Coke bottles are the best because they are elastic).
    3. Fill them with fuel, strap to bike.
    4. Ride 50-100 miles, stop, dump them in, and recycle/trash the bottles. There will be more bottles and fuel at the next station.

I realize this is extra hassle, but for anyone planning a long distance trip, I would suggest that for the cost of an upgraded fuel tank, you could instead extend your trip by a month or two (which is what it's all about anyway, right?).

Not trying to shed a negative light on anyone's choices or this lovely custom fuel tank for the Terra. Just offering a little road wisdom that may help the budget traveler avoid an expensive/unnecessary purchase.

Bottles of fuel elegantly strapped to top of RH case in both photos.

Happy riding!
    eca, Hansi, Motosportz and 2 others like this.
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Sounds like the perfect topic for another thread :)

Here are instructions on how to start a thread, and post #4 shows how to show pictures in a thread:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/creating-posts-threads-read-this-one.16262/