WOW look at this Nomad TR650 tank!!!

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Motosportz, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I'm just not visualizing how would work? Ignore me, clearly you have a clear idea how it would work.
  2. Kawagumby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310, 2014 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, KDX220, 1987KDX200
    The tank on my WR250 uses a vacuum pump - they are very simple and reliable.
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Don't want to take this too far off topic, but could you post or send me a link that might clue in a clueless person (me).
  4. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    Another 12 liters would put total capacity at about what Safari's proposed tank is supposed to offer when it's done.... wonder how similar the overall design will be between the two - vacuum pump, etc.
    I had a natural 6.6 gallon Safari on my TE 630, and visually it was a commanding presence....I like the looks of the Nomad tank overall, pretty well integrated.

I get such good mileage though, I'm not sure I need that kind of range....we're talking 400-ish miles at 62mpg.
  5. Kawagumby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310, 2014 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, KDX220, 1987KDX200
  6. socalrob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW GSA
    11.5 liters is 3.03 gallons (US). That is plenty. Will be interesting to see the production product.
  7. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    Well as soon as I get done posting this a call to Altrider is in order. Going to cancel my order as this tank seems not only to add range but also provide raidiator protection. The last two ticks on my farkle list are fuel range and radiator protection. I like em!
    mag00 likes this.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Its all good and about learning and not off topic. It is simply a small diaphragm in a housing that plugs into any vacuum line on the bike that has a pulse like the intake track. the pulse flaps the diaphragm and pumps the gas. It is totally mechanical and super simple. As it does not need to flow a bunch it should be perfect for this and i have seen it in many applications. Usually looks something like this and has a fuel line and and a fuel line out and a connection for the vacuum line form the motor.

[IMG]
    Coffee and TE250Guy like this.
  9. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I wasn't planning to post here, but this made me laugh pretty hard. It's really a lovely bit of descriptive imagery. Thanks for that. This Nomad TR tank isn't the prettiest farkle, but it sure ain't a naked turkey!
    Coffee, Chuffa and Motosportz like this.
  10. chris1261 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada
    Anyone else wondering how much heat these things will trap around your engine bay, and your legs?
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

yes and how much clearance around the exhaust pipe too. The guy who builds these seems pretty smart and have been doing Dakara tanks for some guys so I think he knows his stuff. We will see. As for flow it is open on the back side much more so than some huge tanks like Safari so should be fine.

Just so you know he does a lot of this kind of work and has some very good experience at it...

"Just thought you might like to see some pics of my CRF rally, Its an on going project. It holds 37 litres, has the air box up where the fuel tank used to be, has 2 x tool boxes, 2x water tanks. is designed for the Dakar."

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Wolftrax and Bobzilla like this.
  12. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Looks like it also would provide some fairing and leg wind protection as well. I like the design and like the smoother lines. Never liked the Husky Manga type lines, but I don't buy a bike for the looks. This tank would make the strada into a proper Australian tourer ( LONG way between fuel stations )
  13. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Oh . I don't like the vacuum pump much. Had many issues with vacuum pumps dieing over the years. I would put a small electric pump on. Wouldn't have to have the motor running to tx the fuel if I had run out.
  14. kswaid Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, Street Triple
    Are we still looking at the end of July for these?
  15. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    I emailed him and expecting prod models end of August.
  16. kswaid Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, Street Triple
    It is getting near the end of August, has anybody heard some news?
  17. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    This is a steal! In the TT catalog they have a similar set up for the GS650 and it sells for over 2k. The design is way better on the Nomad as well with a lower center of gravity, skid plate, and radiator cross brace.
  18. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    The manufacturer emailed me and promised ( hmmm...) to email me back when they are available. The dev time is not as simple as just the tank as the tank(s?) will have a frame/radiator protector , pump etc, That means the prod line will be a bit more complex and be subject to more supply line disruption. Still, it isn't the end of August yet and his email said manufactured late August AVAILABLE early September. I will post when(if) I get the email.
    Hopefully it will be a more reliable date than the KTM390 Duke realease date ( march, april, may, june, end of july, september....)
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have a message into him and hope to hear the date soon.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    got a response. He got sidetracked with another build and these tanks are pushed out to about mid October now.