1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

wiring a SEM lights

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Each yellow gives you an ~70w coil, and the blue is a floated ground (i.e. - the generator output is NOT grounded through the frame). This way you can keep your AC and DC systems separate. So, instead of using a 1-wire regulator that shunts excess voltage to the frame, you'll use a 2-wire regulator that shunts excess voltage back to the blue. If you use something like the Trail Tech regulator/rectifier, connect both SEM yellows to the SAME yellow of the reg/rec, and connect the other yellow of the reg/rec to the SEM blue. Then the red/black of the reg/rec are your DC output to your 12v battery, and you should have a whole lot of DC electricity! Since your AC was NOT run through the frame, you can now use the frame as your DC ground for the battery, lights, horn, blinkers, grip heaters, GPS, whatever you want.
  2. matthew golden Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a 87 250xc. On the SEM ignition box there are 2 extra red wires.Does anyone know where they go? thanks
  3. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    They are probably one red (goes to coil) and one orange (kill button).
  4. matthew golden Husqvarna
    AA Class

the coil and kill button are already hooked up--- the 2 yellows are from the stator are for the lights. these 2 reds are extras from the ignition box
  5. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can you post a photo of this?
  6. matthew golden Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here is the picture of the control box with the 2 extra red wires. DSCN0407.JPG
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    With the lesser watt motoplat lighting I had a dim brake light. So I by passed the brake light switch all together and would wick the throttle when I was slowing down or stopping. This would blink the rear tail light as a brake light. It worked.
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Looks like you have the SEM ignition module. I have 4 of those but I can not tell what the 2 reds are for.... yet
  9. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Might be switching gear for models that require brake on, clutchin, or neutral gear before starting maybe compliance wiring.