1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Why did husky put the kickers on left side?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by dartyppyt, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yep......made it tough for the kicker to have enough "bite" on the knurls to not slip but not so tight as to bind the shifter. This makes finding one today thats not all "chewed" rare and why those parts cost so much and why no basket case Can Ams have kickers on them.

Joe
  2. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Your right...british bikes had RH shift...LH brake brake in the mid 70's

I know the flat trackers ran right hand shifters(always turning left)....and HD had some production sportsters in the 70's with right hand shift..which the DOT forced them to change to the left....
  3. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

I've ridden Huskys for a long time. Why the heck do they put the kickstart on the right side?:D
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    "Cause that's were the clutch is, and the idler gear is right between the kickstarter and the clutch basket. That is "primary" kickstarting, or being able to start the bike in gear with the clutch in. The basket gear engages the crankshaft, while the part of the clutch that hooks the gear box to the crank is freed from the rest of the drive. I'll draw ya a pitcher, oh wait....I don't draw so good.:D
  5. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    If the horse theory is correct then we would be kicking the thing over with both legs? At least the last time I got kicked, the horse used both legs. Or maybe I kicked her back with my left? Or was it my right? Makes sense though!

Did you ever do one of those knees holding front wheel starts on the old husky's. Then have the kickstarter kick back and make the engine start backwards? It was pretty amusing at a harescramble in Ohio when I went over the bars and the bike went backwards. I wasn't ready for that one. The only way I got it to do it again was to bumpstart it backwards on a small hill. It was a CR 390?

Or did you ever do the dump thing and start one with a cheap pair of work boots/tennis shoes? Have it kick back and lay you out on the driveway? My other half came out one time and I was hopping around the driveway swearing that I'd never do that again.

Typpyt
  6. rajobigguy Administrator

I had a Bultaco start backwards on me once. Very amusing to onlookers when you dump the clucth in reverse.:lol: