1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Why did husky put the kickers on left side?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by dartyppyt, Mar 16, 2009.

1. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Always wondered what the history was behind putting the kick starter on the left side. Let's see if we have some history answers? I know that my 430 laid me out on the driveway one day when she kicked back.:cripple:
  2. mattskn Husqvarna
    A Class

To destroy knees....Its just not natural...
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Was it one of the bikes that couldn't be started in gear with the clutch in? A lot of old "non-primary" kickstart arrangements ended up on the left side of the bike.
  4. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

With a screwed up right knee, I actually enjoyed kicking over my 08 Berg 450. After a day of trailriding my TC250, my right knee would throb and swell up.
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

The reason was because they were competition bikes and having the kicker on the left side was more conducive to "Grand Prix" style starts that required you to run to the bike from the inside edge of the track.
    By having the starter on left side with the bike warmed up and in perfect tune you literally jump on the bike from right side and stroke the kicker while you were mounting it and off you went.

What do I win?
  6. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    That makes entirely too much sense in a utilitarian sort of way; I'm subtracting 200 pts for your answer. :busted:
  7. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

How about having one foot planted on the ground for support and having some thing solid under foot. Or most people are right legged so standing off to the left side more sure footed when standing on the ground verses doing a balancing act and trying to kick at the same time, especially when out in the hills . The button now ends all the debates. Later George
  8. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    That sounds like a darn good answer but really, I don't know? But was curious.

What do you win!

Everyone is going to UPS you all of our worn out tires for free.
  9. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    It might also be worth mentioning...lots of other things are oriented to the left side of the machine...fuel tank petcock....the choke and the hot start...the kickstand....why do we "like a ritual" always mount the bike on the left side....hmmmm

just a few more clues.....
  10. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Although ultimately I know rajobigguys answer is right... I think Georges answer makes way more cents:D

That's how I started all the Can ams I ever had (all leftys) :eek:
  11. rajobigguy Administrator

I stated it wrong in my original post (since edited). I originally said form the out side edge of the track and meant to say the inside edge.

BTW that is also why the shifter was on the right on early models.

Does this mean that no one is going to send me there used tires?:D
  12. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Grand Prix starts. :)

Do they do that anywhere anymore? I did a few back in the day.

I think the kick was on the left cause they wanted to balance the bikes weight. :thumbsup:
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You have two legs, use them.
  14. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Funny thing is I rode Can ams from 76 to 81 then Yamaha for 3 months in 82 before going to Husky in late 82 and people would laugh that when on the MX track if I crashed, I would run to the right side of my YZ and kick with my left foot! Still did this after Husky went to right kick for a few months. Now I got 'Da Button.

Yeah Boyyyyyyyyyy!
    TE 310 is awsome.

Joe
  15. rajobigguy Administrator

I don't know if anyone does those kind of starts anymore but it would take a pretty good acrobat to master the technique on a modern dirt bike with a seat hieght approaching 40" s. I saw some guys back in the old days that were so good at it that they would have their foot on the kicker pushing it down while mounting the bike and as their right foot swung over they would hit the shifter and launch right of the stand (assuming that the bike started on the first kick).
  16. HuskyT Moderator

You always mount from the left because of our equestrian history. Saddles / cinches/ bridles all tighten on the left side of the horse and have been that way for centuries (if not longer ). When you walk up to a horse , you normally check your saddle , tighten etc... then mount... very similar to Motorcycles.. the ritual has carried on....

Also interesting note that most weapons are used from the right side of the body and are stored or carried to facilitate their use by the right arm ... protect defend and mount from the left / attack with the right

T
  17. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

You think left kick is odd? Old BMW's had their kickstarter on the left and it kicked directly outward from the bike. Some Honda ATC's kicked on the right and forward. Now that will mess with your coordination. Stand on it's right, face backward, kick backward with your right leg then turn around and jump on. Do the hokey-pokey......

I like the horse theory myself.
  18. Thorton98 Husqvarna
    AA Class

:popcorn::lol:
  19. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Yes By jove...I think you've got it Tim

Throttle and brakes on the right.....

all other engine related controls...clutch..gearshift..kickstart...fuel tank petcock..choke..hot start..kickstand....all on the left...with very few exceptions

I assume that because the kicker is not used after the initial start up....its placement was/ is considered optional

As a kid I always though it was cool to see a guy....standing next to his bike (usually exotic) kicking it over with his right foot....then Honda joined in in about 78' or so.....and the novelty was gone.....lol

Another question......wasnt it the Can -Ams that had the kicker and the gearlever together....like a shaft within a shaft ?? or maybe that was something else...????
  20. rajobigguy Administrator

Most European bikes had the gear shift on the right until the late 70's\early eighties.