1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

What's this stuff on my screen filter?? (TE310R)

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MotAd, Dec 10, 2016.

1. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    That Mobil 1 0W-40 is some great oil. My clutch became so much smoother when I switched over years ago. All my bikes, and engines get it now except for my diesel. Makes a great gun lube too. Tinken had saved me so much money over the last few years on oil changes its not even funny.
    Trenchcoat85 and MotAd like this.
  2. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    Nice Trenchcoat, nice.

Yeah I'm riding motocross & enduro tracks at the mo so a bit quicker than the lanes. We're lucky where I live and there is an abundance of off road tracks. One thing the UK does get right!

Good advice on the filter changes etc. They're pretty cheap here but the oil I use is quite expensive (silkolene 10/50). Probably works out to be twice as expensive as yours.

Gonna sort the bike on Saturday and take her for a spin so if there's any problems with it, I'll be sure to post up here for some sympathy!

Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  3. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    Sounds interesting. Is this the oil you need to run a stainless filter with due to initial oil flow?

4. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    No. Standard Hiflo filters work fine.
    MotAd likes this.
  5. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    Hey Trenchcoat. What torque setting do you use for the drain bolt? Can't find any reference to it in the manual and online!
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    CRS- does it have the copper washer or aluminum? I'd guess 17lbs (~22Nm?). I just go by feel.
    MotAd likes this.
  7. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    Looks like a copper washer on there. Will just mark its current position with a pen when I drop the oil next to avoid any dramas but that 22nm sounds about right. Switched the filter round, bike seems totally fine. Lesson learned!
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    cool. IIRC, my drain bolt was really in there.

Actually, this was a problem with a lot of fasteners on my bike (I go over them constantly on a new bike, for the first few months, to learn which fasteners are good and which are gonna give me problems... and I think the tank retaining bolt was the big loser here; it took about 5 months before it took a "set").

Anyhow, you might try breaking the torque on the drain, then (at the very next moment) re-tightening to the original spot to get a feel for the torque.
    MotAd likes this.
  9. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    One note on that sump drain bolt of the 13/14. They do break. Being sunken in, it will fracture in time, right in that area. I broke one about a year ago and replaced with a magnetic 7602 bolt w/normal hex. Luckily the screw had loosened just prior to it breaking. Good to have a spare in the toolbox.
    MotAd likes this.
  10. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Johnrg- sounds like your drain bolt head broke off right at the junction between the flange and the hex recess? Thanks for the heads-up.

BTW, you don't have any pics do you? (I'm a fiend for images now in the digital age).
  11. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    No pics, just tossed it out. Yes walls were thin in the recess. A large flat area where it seats and then cupped and thin where the allen head is. Would have been fine if they didn't recess it.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  12. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    interesting to know this – what size was the bolt if you can remember? might get something pre-ordered as i don't want anymore downtime on this bike. planning to do a lot of riding over christmas!

cheers

13. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    14mm maybe.... I don't see them on 7602 Racing's web site any more. I wonder if another make like Ducati might use a similar sized drain bolt. If you find one post the results since even the 7602 Racing bolt head is soft and can strip/round the hex, if not careful in use.

Just searched and while Zip Ty had one listed... It's no longer but from searching it appears
    M14 x 1.5 x 14 may be the size.

Ebay shows some that may universally work though many are M14 x 1.25
    MotAd likes this.
  14. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    That's awesome thanks for taking the time to do that John. As luck would have it that's the same size sump bolt as I have on the Daytona, and I bought a magnetic one for that as a spare so I'm set. Will see how it matches next time I drop the oil. Here's the link for it anyhow... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282146959526
    Johnrg likes this.
  15. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    yeah, I confirmed in the WSM that the drain bolt is M14x1.5 (and MotAd: 25Nm, 18ft-lbs.... I wasn't far off; actually, I like to go a bit light in aluminum anyways). [edit: the manual is wrong for my 2014 TE310R- the bottom drain bolt is M16 x 1.5 (and 22mm deep including the magnet but not the washer). see post below]

Anyhooooo, On eBay I stumbled across some green anodized drain bolts with a rare earth magnet for $0.99 USD delivered with a nice copper washer and a safety wire hole. Or I can splurge for a $1.77 and get a nice red one to go where no one will see it. hmmmm. This would be easier than adding my own magnet to the stock bolt- which I like because I can stick it on the end of my allen and insert fairly easy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M14X1-5-Eng...ot-With-Crush-Washer-1pcs-green-/271985690935
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/M14-x-1-5-R...da-Acura-Mazda-Mitsubishi-Suzuki/252218182491

oh yeah, Johnrg- I came upon the torque spec for the CS sprocket nut and it was 100Nm like you said. Then on the next page it said 90Nm for the same nut (so 74 and 65 ft-lb). those italians are all over the map with their torque; but always kinda high IMNSHO.

here's an image from a year ago (~2500 miles total) and the weak-assed composite magnet is still managing to hold some ferrous stuff

IMG_7995.JPG
    Johnrg and MotAd like this.
  16. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    top work trenchcoat :cheers:
  17. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Excellent pricing..... I could have bought a case of them compared to the race shops. Maybe Cafe Husky should open a online store and sell drain bolts.
  18. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Shit. forgot to update this (I'm ordering another drain bolt. grrrrrrr)

Anyways, on the my xlite with a bottom drain plug, the frikken thing turned out to be M16 x 1.5 ...and I rechecked the manual- it says the wrong size too (pg X.2)

Well, that's $1.55 down the drain (I had ordered the red one with saftey wire holes). I guess I'm gonna hafta splurge and order this $2.29 plug http://www.ebay.com/itm/M16X1-5-Mag...hash=item58ed1e19e9:m:m2JdoDp2JzE-fslPDRqJSFA

On the bright side, member Caferacerman, who no longer rides a 310, sent me 4 new K&N oil filters free (he paid to ship 'em!) this past March. What a great community. :banana:

And the 5 qt. Mobil 1 Euro 0W40 price dropped down to $22 at Wally World. So I guess I am way ahead. :applause:

[IMG]
    Johnrg likes this.
  19. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scott.... So this red M16x1.5 is the right one? Link still works at $2.52. Height with that long magnet still OK? I need to get a spare.
  20. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The factory did that to my cam bearing caps!

Those 5mm bolts were tight as all heck and one came out with the threads when I finally got it out.
    Had to remove and helicoil the head with 28 miles on the bike!
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.