1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

What aftermarket shocks do you like?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Eurofreak, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Yes, the spring rate was correct. If you never bottomed them then you had springs that were too stiff.
  2. Jeff B Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha ty 175,
    I disagree. My bike is not a show bike. I'm using the same set of Progressives since 2009. Granted I do not race or ride the bike as much as I did. But 3 seasons on one set?? and they still work without leaking. That being said, finding good rebuildable shocks for a short travel bike will hard without $$$.
  3. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Been looking for a while for other bikes. I have missed a few deals but not a lot out there. The Triumph I'm setting up is for dual sport and maybe vintyage enduro. the old pig needs some good, not OK shocks.
    The options seem to be spend $500+ for good shocks so far. I was hoping to find some decent shocks for less-oh well it's 2017. As Drew said, it's a hobby. You won't get your money out of your stuff when it's over. He may build me a set.
  4. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I checked out other Ohlins- did see a variety of street options. I do recall one site offering vintage travel Ohlins, no pricing without an email. Gas/piston Race Tech are $700/pr-nope!
  5. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage Fox is very expensive as well. It blows my mind old Konis are $300/pr for '70s technology. They are better than other shocks of the same era and rebuildable but aren't very good. I'm afraid I got spoiled on good off road suspension and thought older "needs freshening" technology (not necessarily Ohlins) would be cheaper
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    shocks that work well and are rebuildable arent cheap. comes down to how nice you want it to be. cant get ohlins damping at progressive pricing. i cant imagine any company having good shocks like you are looking for less than 600 new.
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    a triumph??? off road??? lots of weight going where you didn't want it to go??? buy good shocks!
  8. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was hoping for good shocks used that would cost me less than $600. I rebuilt the Triumph as a scrambler. Electronic ignition, new valves and guides, new pistons and bore, clutch, the whole bit. It is my dual sport bike as my Buell Ulysses is too big and heavy. I naively thought I could get reasonable shocks used and rebuild them. Vintage travel (4") shocks aren't really available unless new except Progressive. I got this crazy idea I wanted to do a vintage enduro or two on it along with some dual sports hence the quest for better shocks that are adjustable.
    Yeah...an ongoing project.:thinking:
  9. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    If your looking for good rebuildables Works Performance may get you in there at the 5 or 600 dollar point.
    Eurofreak likes this.
  10. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looking at a used set now for a little less, thanks. Drew Smith sells them and will work on them.
    Here's a good example- I understand a gas emulsion shock does not work as well as a gas shock with a piston. The emulsion shock mixes the nitrogen and oil together and they will fade quicker than a piston/bladder shock. However in the real world, when does that happen? The Triumph will stress out shocks more due to it's weight so that's a consideration for me.
    Please keep the ideas coming especially actual usage.
  11. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Please keep the NY Unadilla vintage weekend open and meet some of us Cafe Husky guys.
    disonny and Eurofreak like this.
  12. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Gary, I'd like that. I hope to go- it's only 2 hours away. I got the old Triumph and the 82 CR250 I could ride.
    Haven't been on a moto track in a long time.
    disonny likes this.
  13. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hagon has some shocks that I am thinking of for my 70 500 Scrambler,but its much more of a road machine so I don't need anything exotic for it.But it does see some dirt once in awhile.Drew is a good guy and does awsome suspension work.
    Eurofreak likes this.
  14. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Eurofreak,
    You've identified one of two major hurdles in restoring these old scooters. One is rear shocks that don't cost a fortune. The other is ignition. When I'm looking at purchasing a bombed out parts roach, if the bike has either good shocks or good ignition, then it has value. If it doesn't...

I took the plunge several years back and started doing my own shocks. It brought the price of Ohlins into the affordable category. Most of the dual shock parts are still available right from Ohlins USA, and I've found they're very reasonably priced. As mentioned above, they can be rebuilt indefinitely, and you can juggle bodies, shafts, and shock mounts around to fit whatever you want.
    Eurofreak and oldbikedude like this.
  15. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I enjoy Drew :thumbsup: Picklito-I have most of the equipment to rebuild shocks but need to take the time to do some learning. Part of my problem is finding used shocks to play with and of course more time. If i could find old ohlins that needed rebuilding I'd give it a shot.
    Yup! I think you guys out west have more possibilities with roaches than we do. I just visited a bike scrap yard to get a carb and the rusted garbage he has that sat outside :thumbsdown:
  16. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    So Bill, is upstate near Albany upstate. Got any pics of your 500? Sounds interesting.
  17. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Progressives is a continuation of the S & W operation that made shocks and fork kits in the 70's. I would have to say you will get excellent service out of the shocks for your application. You are not likely to motocross it or even to ride aggressively as you would on the Husqvarnas. I rode aggressively on the S&Ws that I had first on my 70 Yamaha 175 CT1 then put on my 69 Husqvarna 360 Sportsman. So I got 4 years of hard riding on what is now Progressive for vintage non long travel applications. And they were good after I sold whatever bike they were on.
  18. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Since you're looking for rebuildable shocks here's another option for you . Get a longer set of shocks and have them shortened to your desired length . How about Corte Cossa shocks from a Maico ? The piggyback shocks from an 81 are rebuild able and can be fitted with ohlins internals , not sure on other year Corte cossa's . Just another option .
    Eurofreak likes this.
  19. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Syracuse
    My bike is all stock,with K70s instead of the Trials tires it came with.
  20. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I disagree. My progressive shocks on the rear had there strongest spring rates they offered. It was a smooth ride for me me even over rough terrain. They never bottomed. A shock can wear from too much action too. If the spring rates aren't strong enough the shock can hammer itself.

I had a 4x4 truck with a 4" lift. I went through two sets(4) gas shocks. Not knowing why. I found out when I did some measuring. My shocks were topping out. I installed 6" lift shocks and it was ok. To me the constant hammering from topping out wore the shocks out. Can we have too much wear happening when the wrong spring rate is used?