Watch out for Wire at Battery

Discussion in '610/630' started by Kenneth Webb, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    My new Shorai battery came in and when I removed the Yuasa, I found the wire loom going to the stuff on the right side of the bike had slipped down under the battery. Bad news! The battery had worn thru the outer sheath and thru the wire insulation on one wire. When I had the sub frame off I made sure that wire was out of the way, or at least I thought I did. Maybe it slipped down, or maybe I got it wrong after all. Pics show how it looked when I found it, and how it looked after I cut the sheath and got the wire out for closer inspection. Just one strand was broken, so I taped it up and tied it to the right side frame, out of the way for sure. I think I've read about this before, but glad I found it now before my next ride.

Love the Shorai so far. Man that thing is light!! Between the FMF and the Shorai I've taken 20 pounds plus off the top of the bike. Shorai charger is ordered and on the way. The Shorai is a great fit, by the way. Just had to add one thin layer of foam in the bottom of the battery tray to get the top of the battery in the original location.

[IMG]

[IMG]

After taking care of this little chore I wheeled the bike out and took it for a ride to get my overdue state inspection. I just love the 630 and the way it just hums down the freeway. At the Honda dealership while waiting for the inspection paperwork, I noticed all of the mechanics gathered around the bike. They love it and always seem to turn out when I wheel my Husky in there. He He.
    Blazes likes this.
  2. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah as you say a documented problem. I also fitted a Li battery (Ultrabatt) and I think really is the new gen answer for bikes. It is so light I just used double sided tape to mount it (could also use velcro) and a cable tie just for luck.
  3. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Seconds from disaster...

4. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes ... very much so ... BUT these are the Dreamliner type batteries.

That wire is exactly the one that got me stuck on the German Autobahn (no tools etc on the bike). The repair only took me a few minutes after the police, the repair man etc. etc. held up the traffic and caused max. commotion for as long as they could.
  5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
  6. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, the very loom. The loom just naturally wants to lay down into the battery tray, and I'm pretty damn sure I pulled it up to the side when installing the heavy factory battery after my subframe reinforcement project. I think it worked it's way down during some rough riding and the battery just pounded the daylights out of it. With the loom tied up to the frame, and the lightweight Shorai, I think the problem is taken care of. By the way, I just weighed the Yuasa and it's 10.3 pounds. Shorai is 3 and maybe a little bit of change. BIG difference. 315 cold cranking amps vs. 200 for the Yuasa. What's not to like. The light weight may also prevent failure of the battery tray which happens from time to time. I think I will put a Shorai in my Terra as well.
  7. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Which model did you use?
  8. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's an LTX21A6-BS12
  9. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I like mine too...it was expensive but it seems to work well and maybe the battery tray will hold up now.
  10. 630mick Husqvarna
    A Class

Ken, did you notice the stock battery rubbing against the engine breather elbow which is feeding into the airbox? Mine does and I was wondering if the new battery dimensions remove this problem. Keeping in mind that if this elbow breaks off it is a potential engine destroyer.....:excuseme:
  11. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, it was making contact, but didn't look bad. The new battery is just very slightly less in width, and goes into the tray a little easier. The difference is very very small though. At least the Shorai is much lighter and should put less stress on the fitting.
  12. JoiseyJanet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks, Ken and others, for pointing out the wire fraying. I'll take a good look when I get to the subframe reinforcement job in the coming weekends.
  13. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Ken did you consider the Ballistic Evo2 before purchasing? For Shorai p/n above the cheapest I can find is $166 to my door. Ballistic has two batteries that would work in a 630, both smaller, lighter and cheaper than Shorai. 3 year warranty and Made in USA also.

$115 - Ballistic 8 cell
    1.5 lbs, 275 CCA
    or
    $137 - Ballistic 12 cell
    2.5 lbs, 410 CCA

Prices are with AMA discount on bikebandit.com and free shipping.

Anyone try either of these? I'm almost thinking the 12 cell would be overkill for our bike unless you're running electric grips and heated gear.

_
  14. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    That 12 cell is mighty tempting.

4 extra cells might feel good when it's getting dark and you're still 50 mi from pavement...

15. elpedro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sportster 883
    Ok, so because I never pulled the battery out of my 630 and it is snowing outside, thought I might charge the batt. And here is a message for the future generations:

If you've never pulled your battery out, don't just look into these forum threads about people getting wires messed up and go check yours RIGHT-NOW! :D

comp2.jpg
    comp1.jpg

As you can see, the blue wire coming from voltage regulator/rectifier is positioned very badly and is squeezed between battery and air filter compartment. In fact, it has rubbed a hole in the battery (I don't know how that is even possible?!):
    comp3.jpg
    I also don't like the position of that wiring harness - its right above the exhaust AND getting rubbed by the battery..
    Bear in mind that I ride an SM so no big jumps or anything like that.