1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Warning, buying used parts online

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Nov 21, 2016.

1. jack topper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, yamaha, suzuki, Indian, Kawas
    So, how does one who is new to the rebuilding process (like me, for instance) supposed to know how much a used or NOS part is worth? Are there any price lists or "Kelley Blue Book" type publications out there?
    JT
  2. huskynw Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would say just ask on café husky, pretty good group to get some coaching from.
    justintendo likes this.
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    phil at Husqvarna parts has prices on all his stuff. that's new so figure 2nd 1/2 or less unless its unobtanium. then check andy at HVA Factory, he makes job lots of unobtanium bits. his prices are excy but they are worth every cent as the part is new or reengineered to be better than new.

so good bench marks before replying to "looking for a bunny.com" and paying waaay to much for parts.

we have a wrecker who has some interesting pricing on parts...I don't know if he has sold anything but all the same stuff is advertised but its a common ploy to keep your adds the same and just chase bits if someone wants something of your add that was sold 12months ago.

I was recently looking for a JCB backhoe and a dodgy mob had 6 advertised. everytime I rang about one it was the same spiel.."the Indians (or the sri lankans" have just come into town and bought every JCB they can find, we areloading them on the ship
  4. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    My favorite was a used Husky countershaft sprocket for $15 plus shipping. Teeth are REALLY hooked. You can buy a brand new one for the same price!
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Before we get to that question and probably what BigBill had in mind at the start is it is quite easy to get a similar part but not something correct or even useable. I tend to have a tendency to think things are what I want but often they are just similar.

There is the theory when the part became NLA no longer available enter the price in your calculator, then add 5% or so for each year.

Then there is the theory if you have to ask you are in the wrong business.

I kind of look at like what should the price of every piece added together come up to as compared to the original whole bike price or what a complete specimen is worth. I think at about 400% it is time to move on maybe a new left over bike. The more jetting and oil threads the more battery electric starts looking attractive.

Some of the excessive prices on ebay and it is not only in the ebay motors is they have pretty much done away with the insertion fee so there is no cost in trying to find a sucker/uninformed person and my searches often come up 10 overpriced to one retail or less in some product categories.

Then the interpretation of NOS.
    justintendo likes this.
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    You see those hooked sprockets that are priced more than brand new. Remember P.T. Barnum.
    I'm lucky I recognized the parts. The 420 cylinder was $39. We can save $$ too. I just picked up a 390cr bottom end to go with it. Have that extra 71mm stroke crank too.

Any husky part that's cheap I try to but it and stash it away.