1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Vintage CR OR WR 390's 78 79 80

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by HuskyT, Jul 26, 2008.

1. HuskyT Moderator

I had a 83 YZ490 that was a ...itch to start hot or cold.... then I cut the slide to 3.5 and installed different jets..... it started first kick everytime after that.... also went to VP 2s Race fuel..... IS the 390 th e same hard to start beast that a YZ 490 is/was???

T
  2. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    PDF file made of the service bulletin but i'm no computer wiz, I don't have a clue on how to post it here but I can email it to you. my email is maxq2244@yahoo.com. Do you have a owners manual for a 79 or 80 390? looking for a copy of the tool page, as I have some Husqvarna tools that I have not been able to id yet. Looking for pic's/part numbers. Them fine parts/service bulletins/work shop manuals on disk from flebay have a lot of missing stuff in them.
  3. mxpappy711 Husqvarna
    AA Class

1979 cr 390

Here is my winter project. Next is cables and controls, then rebuild forks and shocks.

Attached Files:

4. nick1978-390 Husqvarna
    A Class

Tuning

i have a 1978 390 and i can not get it to idel right or run right for the life of me i can get it close to a idel but it is rough. when im riding i can't open it up or it bogs down. i can give it very very little throttle only but if i find the perfect spot it screams... can some one give me any help!?!? :banghead: thank you:cheers:
  5. moretoys Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's one tough looking bike :thumbsup: ! I love the twin shockers of the late 70s and early 80s. Basic yet brutal.
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    This thread is a little long, and was started a while ago. Might I suggest starting up a new thread so others can notice it easier? People may have missed your question...
  7. HuskyT Moderator

Bump for Moody390

Moody - some of the information you need is in here.

T
  8. HuskyT Moderator

Revival of thread... What were the horsepower gains tommie?
  9. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    Don't remember offhand, but I think their was a chart or graph that showed it in the service bulletin.
  10. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had a 80 390OR, loved that bike. It was the most versatile bike I ever owned. My good friends dad owned the Husky shop here so I was lucky to have good access to info/help. I put the big bore 420 kit in mine. If I remember right it came with instructions/bulletin on how to do it and also jetting tips. We ported mine at the same time and added some length to the headpipe-1 1/2" maybe. What a torque monster! It broadend the powerband and seemed to add half again more power, but I was also 15-16 years old! We used to ride the old Bad Rock Trials route- just a few miles out of town here. Great in the woods and all around improvement. Wish I could find that bike again, last time I saw it around 86-87 leaning against a duplex carport with no barrel and short chrome shocks-nice.
  11. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    bought mine for a $100

Hey,
    I have a 1980 390CR , one of the Best Husky motor there is smooth power,plenty of hole shots ( I VMX). My buddy has a 250CR and i leave him for dead on the straights

I bought mine for a $100 a few years back, what a peice of junk, but i can polish a turd i been told LOL :D

1 of my favorite VMX Husky racers & i've got a 250,430 & 500CR's becides the 390.

Later
    John

Attached Files:

12. HuskyT Moderator

John,

What Front fender do you have on your 1980 CR390? Brand/source/price/model????

T
  13. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    looks like an ACERBIS vented NOST fender.
  14. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Uh oh:busted:! It's the "details police" again :lol:
  15. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Husky T , yes it's Acrebis but off a 85 Husky, which makes it stock?? for that year?
  16. HuskyT Moderator

Starting to get a reputation for myself around here!!!:thumbsup:

T
  17. SepticSkeptic Husqvarna
    B Class

While staying down in Los Barriles with my uncle I found this '79 WR390 in his garage. He's keeping it at his place for a friend. The original tank is back in the states in the owners garage. We've been looking into what it'll take to get her running. Not an OEM restoration or anything, just to have fun.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

On the list thus far is:
    - Throttle cable.
    - Throttle lever and assembly.
    - Fork seals.
    - Sprocket cover.
    - Carb.

The sprocket covers over at husqvarna-parts.com say they're for 81-88, anyone know where I can find the right one?

Thanks.
  18. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have just bought what I thought was a 1979 OR390 off ebay, but I am now not sure what I have got. I did ask the guy for engine and frame numbers and I am pretty sure they agree with what I would expect for that bike (according to the HuskyClub website), but I now think the engine is not correct because it has a square ignition cover, and have been told that the square cover was last used in 1976. :confused:

I appreciate that the forks are set up very low in the yokes, but are these the right forks on this bike? I am also curious about the rear shocks. This bike was imported from the US a number of years ago, so do any of you guys recognise these shocks and can you tell me anything about them (ie are they rebuildable)? I have measured them on the bike and they are about 16.5 inches in length. Is that right or a bit short?

Thanks for any help you can give. :thumbsup:

View attachment 3595

View attachment 3596

View attachment 3597
  19. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Murph- the shocks are Works Performance (Chatsworth. CA) Magna's. Not sure why the square cover is on an engine series that's (confirmed) '79 but to answer your question HVA went to round style in '78.
  20. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you for your reply, it is useful info. I have been told that these shocks should be rebuildable, so hopefully I can use them because I like the look of them on the bike.

The engine number begins 2067 and is on a small plate riveted to the right case in the correct place. It may have been changed at some time, who knows. But I am not bothered about it, just curious really. I am looking forward to restoring it back to a raceable state, I don't intend to do it completely original or anything like that, so hopefully I can keep you posted on it's progress.

Thanks again