1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Vintage CR OR WR 390's 78 79 80

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by HuskyT, Jul 26, 2008.

1. HuskyT Moderator

I would like to propose this thread for this specific bike for purely selfish but maybe not so selfish reasons.... it is honestly tough to find technical info , tips, jetting, engine rebuild etc on these bikes. A lot of people will find this very usefull.....

I am rebuilding a 1979/80 Works Hybrid CR390 and welcome any advice........... THIS IS NOT MY BIKE! Just one bad ass 1980 CR Husky with a set of 82/83 Front forks and some piggyback Ohlins. It embodies what I feel this new thread can or should represent ( by the way I'm kind of excited about this new forum):

[IMG]

Now what is the best way to start disassembly on this 1980 beauty? This one is mine !

[IMG]

Does anyone /can anyone tell me what the standard and oversize bore dimensions are? in detail?

What was common on this engine when it failed or started coming apart?

What should I be looking for on the top end and bottom end?

Can anyone tell me the best way to cure a leaking CS seal? in detail?

Can anyone give me detailed instruction on rebuilding the kick start spring and internal mechanism? Pics would be a bonus!

There has to be a lot of guys out there that know these like the back of their hand. A lot of guys will benefit from a detailed thread about this bike!

T
  2. HuskyT Moderator

Jetting info From Procircuit CR 250 and 390

Jetting for 250/390 CR 1980 ProCircuit
    Here is the reccomended jetting for the 1980 250/390 CR from ProCircuit for Southern California elevation 0 to 3000 ft

Pro Circuit knew Huskys back in the day information is a direct quote from ProCircuit

250 CR Husky 1980
    38 mm Mikuni Round slide
    Stock Needle 6DH3 change to 6F15
    Stock Main jet 430 change to 480
    Stock R2 Needle Jet change to R0 or Q8
    Go to a 60 Pilot
    These changes from the stock factory bike will result in cleaning up the bottom end and make the top end a lot fatter.

390 CR Husky 1980
    38mm Mikuni Round Slide
    all the same changes but go with a 50 Pilot

Also recomended:
    Throw away the stock Husky air boot clamps and replace with standard hose clamps
    Seal the air boot to the air box with Silicone Sealeant

T
  3. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great thread. Ive wanted a black and gold Husky since Billy Beer.

Maybe your thread will push me to finally get one. Looking forward to learning about them.
  4. HuskyT Moderator

No but I will try and find out for you!
  5. 75Hus400wr Husqvarna

Jim Filnac is having one built (390CR) for the 08 B1K this year by Vintage Husky in San Marcos. You might call them for your answers. John LeFever I think is still the man there.

PM me and I can turn you on to Jim's email. He has a benefit 100 mile trail ride with large lunch included scheduled for September 20th up in the Temecula area that I heard is being lead by JN Roberts. I was asked to chase for it today.
  6. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Anyone have a pic of an '81 model year?

That was the year i graduated high school, and i was racing a CR250. I think thats the model year i will start looking for.

Im gonna do this.
  7. HuskyT Moderator

I just sold a working/running bottom end and tranny off of a 81 cr250. Best 250 of the series. I still have a couple of 81 motor parts laying around......

T
  8. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    http://www.woessner-kolben.de
    pistons for your pleasure. I think the sizes listed were the stock husky sizes but not 100% sure. I think I have a parts book somewhere that might list them.
  9. HuskyT Moderator

Thanks Tommie!

Any background / firsthand knowledge of Wossner Pistons?

Model Years
    Displ.
    (cc)
    Piston
    Size
    (mm)
    Oversizes
    (mm)
    Piston Kit
    Part No.
    Price
    Code
    Ring Set
    Part No.
    Clip
    Part No.
    Pin
    Part No.
    CR & WR390 77-80
    390 82.92 Std. 8033DA 6 RSC8300 CW18 WP033
    83.42 +0.5 8033D050 6 RSC8350 CW18 WP033
    83.92 +1.0 8033D100 6 RSC8400 CW18 WP033
    84.42 +1.5 8033D150 6 RSC8450 CW18 WP033
    84.92 +2.0 8033D200 6 RSC8500 CW18 WP033
    85.42 +2.5 8033D250 6 RSC8550 CW18 WP033

Thanks, T
  10. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    T,
    Do you plan on doing any vintage racing with this bike?
    What mod's do you have in store for the 390?
    Any plans on doing the 420 big bore kit?
    Always wanted to get the 77 390 but I have too many project bikes allready, with 12 huskys (one was stolen three years ago) 3 runners and 9 basket cases, and a storage unit full of parts it's hard to keep track of what I have anymore. I just might have to thin the heard someday.
  11. TripleW Husqvarna
    AA Class

What was common on this engine when it failed or started coming apart?

I had a 79' 250 OR. I lost crank bearings due to the crank moving where it was pressed together. So check that the crank aligned and make sure its welded so that doesn't happen. I've heard the Motoplat ingnition was not that reliable. Gorge at Uptite always claimed he could build those motors in the dark!

I miss my 79' cool bike. I don't miss the drum brakes. TW
  12. HuskyT Moderator

Tommie,

Yes I plan on racing the bike .... maybe in the vintage but more than likely out with everyone else in the GP's at Glen Helen......

Plans are a a complete restoration ( I have a thread on ThumperTalk detailing the rebuild... Note that while I am very detail oriented, this bike will be ridden and raced hard...... I have no plans on keeping it in the garage looking pretty ...

The whole intent of this thread is to get mod ideas from people like yourself that would like to share their ideas of what mods are good/bad and why...

It is getting custom forks off of a 83/84 CR 430/500 .... new works rear reservoir shocks in the rear, new Aluminum rear sprocket, custom tank work from a freind that I have at MetalCrafters here in SoCal , custom frame prep, new rear Trelleborg Supermaster tire, modifying the clutch lever on the case, wiring the front brake cable , sst cables , rebuilt DSL brakes etc........

I do not have any experience with the 390 engine so I am definitely looking for advice on the motor rebuild..... can you tell me what you would do and why?

T

13. Reflexrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Vintage

I have an 82430XC, complete, runs well. I love most of the things about this two wheel cruise missle: but what is the best way to quiet it down? My ultimate fantasy fot the bike is to take it out of Calif. and PLATE it.
  14. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    T,
    If I was going to go all out for max HP, I would do the 390 to 420 conversion if I had a 1980 cylinder, The liner in the 1980 cylinder is the only one thick enough to do the conversion. Big HP gains. Husqvarna service bulletin 8-077. I think they called it a big bore kit but it's mainly machine work and a piston from a 420 auto. I done some research and from what I can tell the 420 piston is the same as the standard 430 piston, same part numbers, same 86mm bore so it can be done fairly easy.
    I done a quick search on TT and still can not find your thread on your rebuild/restore. can you send me a link?
  15. project9 Husqvarna
    B Class

My money pit.

Hi,

I have a 1980 CR390 that I have partially restored,ran out of money before I could get the engine overhauled.I have raced it once since I bought it in Feb this yr.:)

Attached Files:

16. project9 Husqvarna
    B Class

I would like to propose a thread on replacement ignition systems.

I am considering buying a modern kit such as the one made by PVL,but I am not sure what is available or if there is tip or two to making the ignition spark blue rather than the dull white spark that makes my CR390 so hard to start.
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Anyone can start a thread, have at it!
  18. HuskyT Moderator

Ok... now you have me intrigued.... I've heard that the '80 390 is a missile anyway and I do have a 1980 motor ( id number verified)

I am interested in the bulletin.8-077.. where do I get one or if you have a copy can you PDF me? Is it something you can post in here....

Thread link is:
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562824&highlight=passion inspiration

Coffee... is it ok to post a threadlink in here?burn it if you need to......

By the way Tommie... it started as a 250 but once i found the 80 390 motor the ante got upped!

T
  19. HuskyT Moderator

Start a Vintage Ignition thread! Great subject!

T
  20. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    yes...