Tweety Bird Exhaust Note

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Canyonwild, Jan 19, 2013.

1. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    If you remove the arrestor and look inside you will notice a huge wall of solid stainless steel just a few inches inside the cans. I am not sure what the other 2feet of muffler contains but somewhere in there is a cat.
    danielcure likes this.
  2. big-t Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm,yamaha
    The front opening of the converter allows for easy access to the converter to gut it if you are so inclined,although I doubt it would improve the performance.Its what is called a "spiral wrap substrate" which has the least resistance to exhaust flow when compared to other converters.

Might cool the exhaust some,but so far I really haven't noticed much excessive heat......unlike my 990 which would burn you just getting close to it.:eek:
  3. danielcure Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500. CR250, CBR400, CBR600RR, VTR1
    Lol you really want to get this this cat! I understand its driving me crazy...
  4. scottinAZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
    I simply could not tolerate the chirping any longer so the solution as mentioned in previous posts is to remove the spark arrestors from the cans. I could not get either side to budge out of the cans, I tried the two screwdriver pry method, still no give, sprayed with lubricant and let sit overnight, nope, not going to happen. I will not be defeated with such a should be simple task! So if all else fails try this method, which worked perfectly and effortlessly in my situation.
    Block of wood, old spoke, bolt, nut and washer.
    IMGP2587.JPG IMGP2589.JPG IMGP2590.JPG IMGP2591.JPG

Drill a hole In a block of wood slightly larger than size of bolt you are using. Slide the head of the bolt into the exhaust, the head should be just slightly smaller than the diameter of the hole, next stick the threaded end of the spoke into one of the 2 little holes in the spark arrestor, pull the bolt forward to "jam" it against the spoke, the threads on the spoke will catch on the edge of the little hole, slide the block of wood over the bolt, apply washer and nut and tighten away, the insert will easily pop out. I can't tell you how glad I am to be rid of those annoying little birds who lived in my cans! I also removed the packing that was in the last couple of inches of the exhaust, it is now a bit louder, which I like, and have not felt any power issues. I will install some different arrestor screens down the road, but for now my daily commutes only occur on paved city streets and pretty sure I won't be sparking anything into flames in the process. :thumbsup:
  5. dangslow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra and a TE310
    I thought red exhaust tips would look nice on these pipes, so I used a couple of 1" steel split spacers that I had left over from some project, and forced them over the end of the arrestors. Over these I slid on 1 1/8" bicycle headset/stem spacers. Got the look I was going for AND got rid of the tweet. I think it may have been caused by the exhaust gas passing over the holes in the arrestors. Sort of like blowing over the top of a bottle of your favorite adult beverage. No holes.......no tweet.
    100_1696.jpg
    scottinAZ likes this.
  6. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650

Having a bit of trouble picturing this...any way you could pop one out and show the pieces?
    Coffee likes this.
  7. dangslow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra and a TE310
    100_1701.jpg Kjack....I hammered the split spacer over the exhaust port, covering the holes. The anodized aluminum spacer goes over that and bottoms out against the retaining clip for the arrestors. Come to think of it, if that tweet was from the clip vibrating, the aluminum spacer butting up against it could be the reason I've lost my 'bird'.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  8. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Bike parts huh....need to have a closer look at the chris king headset on my kestrel talon....poor girl has been neglected the past couple years!
  9. TE250Guy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KLR 650, Yamaha XT 225
    I seem to remember a similar problem with my TE 250 that I solved by packing aluminum foil around the clip to stop the rattle. But I could be wrong. My high frequency hearing is so bad I had to pretend I heard the tweet, then pretend I fixed it.
    craig hodges likes this.
  10. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    Thanks for the idea...I stopped by trek and got two black ones

Attached Files:

11. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Just wondering if anyone from the US can let me know if your mufflers have the same endcaps as the square ones on my Aus bike? The parts book lists different RH & LH silencers for the US. All your pictures would make sense to me if they are different:confused: They still make the annoying tweeting noise though! Cheers

Attached Files:

12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I believe those cans are what the TR650 Strada has in the usa.

EDIT: I meant to type Strada, not Terra...
  13. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Pretty much all of the first pics taken of the TR seem to have square holes. everything more recent (past 5 months or so) have the round holes. Maybe if we log everyones exhaust can tip shape along with the last several digits of their vin#'s we can see about when the switch was made? :thinking:
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Mine are definitely round, 4004 is my number I believe.
  15. scottinAZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
    I like that idea Dangslow, so after gutting my arrestor I picked up a couple on Ebay, actually just soft hammered 'em in as they are a perfect fit in the round opening of the can. I can't imagine them ever coming back out by themselves, but if they do a little set screw should do the trick. I got 5 spacers for 10 bucks, not a bad deal indeed.

. IMGP2602.JPG IMGP2600.JPG
    kjackbrown likes this.
  16. johnb Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz450f
    Mine are square vin#5617
  17. Luge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    sold them all
    Terra #3964 Mine are round.
  18. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    I wonder if Aus bikes have Strada cans which do not have a spark arrestor? Is that what the circlip retains with the round hole end caps?
  19. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    #3599 Strada, square.
  20. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    I've got a Strada, I thought it had spark arrestors. How can I tell for sure? There's a sticker on the top of the tail that says the spark arrestor meets Canadian standards. It's in english and french, it must be true!
    HuskyDude likes this.