Trials Bike thread.

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by robertaccio, May 1, 2015.

1. freejack Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WB165, 95 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 wr200, 88tzr250, & Beta evo300, B

Wait till you do a good 3-4 hr trailride on it - then you will know hurt , seriously though nothing beats a trials bike for fun.
    robertaccio likes this.
  2. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    If your riding your trials bike for 3-4 hours you took the wrong bike out!
    Especially the gasgas now 3-4 hours on the ty 250 yup no worries it's got a seat.
    robertaccio likes this.
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Trials bikes will last a long time when you're using them for trials. If you trail ride them they will get clapped out in no time. They have small bearings and brakes to save weight and are not built for long rides.
    robertaccio and juicypips like this.
  4. freejack Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WB165, 95 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:

And they can overheat on the hot days if your into going fast, the riding I generally do is hard gnarly bush rides (bronze in the extreme enduro's) where only the really good enduro riders will attempt, not to many of the fast trails (leave those for the Husky), weve been riding these tracks for years & i do get the engine & bearings done every 2 years just to keep it fresh. my current evo300 is almost 2 years old and is not even close to needing a rebuild so will go through another winter before i get any work done. If you put mungatukuku, devil's staircase, rock garden into youtube you will see the type of terrain , the guys on the vid are pretty good riders but the big bikes do struggle, on the trials bike i can do the rockgarden in 4th gear without stopping & taking about 5 minutes wet or dry, I took the Husky through there about 3 mths ago when it was damp and spent around 25 minutes trying to get up the rocks.
    robertaccio and juicypips like this.
  5. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    More practice required on the husky then ;)
  6. freejack Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WB165, 95 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    yep your right there , a lower seat height would help alot, im only 5'4 so putting my feet on the ground just doesnt work for me. might be next on my list
  7. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm not far behind you, I've had custom lower link and lowered my Suspension, I made a real low profile single seat out of plywood and a bit of sponge it's far from comfy but on enduro it is perfect. I say every 3 out of 5 times with original seat would mean I dropped the bike as it put me just over the tip point.

The ply seat I'm much more confident with as I can paddle and dab at speed before it goes to far.
  8. freejack Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WB165, 95 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:

I never thought about a low profile seat i have removed around 20mm of foam which helped, my mechanic friend is going to start with adding a spacer in the forks (hopes it will get the front down around 40-50 mm then i will look at taking around 30 mm out of the rear subframe, if that isnt enough he will add a spacer to the rear spring. I was out on my IT175 the other day, it was so good being able to sit on the seat and touch the ground.
  9. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lol the seat was a fast cheap way of getting my feet on the ground. And I can throw the original back on the bike of needed.
    I looked at the plastic under the seat and thought that's moulded for a tool kit and pushes the rider extra 2 inch higher minimum.

Good luck. I've not played with forks height wise. Ahhh also I use a low profile rear it's a 110/80/18 do that losst another inch or so it really does add up.

Still looking out for a big wheeled 85 I can drop a tweeky motor in.

.s. I've a ty250 both feet flat on the floor lovely. Just not much poke for enduro.
  10. freejack Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WB165, 95 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:

Funny that - I rode a kx80-85 till i was about 30 , in the tight stuff no one could get passed me , because i have a converted CR 125 my rear is 19 & then i put a trials tyre on it so that added another inch or 2, i have got an 18"rear rim coming & will swap to the Michelin x11 (off my Beta evo 300)
    robertaccio likes this.
  11. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I lately got the 260 Montesa pictured. It wasn't that hard, once a year they seem to deliver what is on order with a deposit. Absolutely amazing how much can be done without twisting the throttle at all. It really is a wide ratio transmission contrary to the literature I score it at 3.4 low vs high.

For Husqvarna stuff
    It has a slider on a hinged device similar to the up tite stuff on the last of the steel swingarms.
    It uses pistons on both sides of disc and caliper like in 1985-1986 (the brake control is exceptional on this new one)
    Not all that much different inside than my 1988 te510. The manual has lots of pictures of the insides.

If you ride on your own property I would recommend one of these things.

It rides kind of hard compared to 12 inches of travel and has a low front fender and a small metal gas tank. on chip pile - Copy.jpg
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Once the suspension breaks in, it will feel much better. Enjoy!
  13. freejack Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WB165, 95 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nice bike , I have a Beta evo 300 & love the way it rides, goes & the places you can get to on it with ease, usually you find gears up to 4th are reasonably close then a big gap to 5th & 6th for the faster stuff.
  14. freejack Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WB165, 95 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    youtube.com/watch?v=9_iGVYuk4Zw
    Above is a link to a ride i attended last weekend,called the JRL in memory of a local lad (nz champion trials rider James Lawton) who passed away some time ago, we do this ride every year & also camp at the location, there was around 40 of us split into 3 groups, we were gone for around 6 hours & as you see there was mile after mile of tight gnarly trials type trails with some long steep hill climbs thrown in. This is essentially my back yard & i ride here every week (often twice a week at this time of the year).
    robertaccio and lankydoug like this.
  15. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    That looked really fun after the 3:min in.