TR650 speedometer question

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Robert Day, Oct 20, 2014.

1. vodka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200R , Yamy WR250R
    I dont use my speedo...the cops usually tell me how fast i was going:lol: ...sorry couldnt help it.
  2. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Yea but the cost of their speed recording services are dang steep.

[IMG]
    snail_72 and kiwiape like this.
  3. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Yep, got a pair off 44 slot Rings being made, should be testing in the weekend, here's hoping!
  4. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    So they (hot rod?) are making ones that fit our bikes?
    3 mount tabs with bends in them?
  5. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

Checked against my GPS, mine is pretty typical of vehicles. My speedometer is about 3 mph faster than the GPS indicates. Varies a little between 2-4 mph fast, but usually 3. I tested anywhere from 20-65 mph with the same results.
  6. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    No, I am having them made here.
    Ogre_fl likes this.
  7. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The speedo adjustment procedure shown over at http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/speedo-cal3.shtml is for the old analogue dash assemblies of the 70's and 80's

On modern dash assemblies the adjustment is a setting in the Dash/ABS if it is able to be done at all, on the 650GS BM there is no ability other than changing the sensor ring. On the G650X there is an ability to change it and the procedure is published at Advrider. For the Terra it is an interesting question

I notice reports above indicating accurate results with both 17" and 18" wheels so something is adjusting speedo calibration. Other than a setting in the diagnostics system another possibility is a solder link on the Dash circuit board. They use that for changing Miles/Kms on ODO with the 650GS
  8. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    done, chucked on two 44 slot Sensor rings and went for quick spin, my 8% error is gone and basically the speedo is exactly the same as my gps now, sweet, it pulling 4350 RPM at 100k which is what is was doing before at 108k. All thats left to do is sort some countersunk screws on the rear and get them both electro galv'd and ride.

20150829_183345.jpg 20150829_183332.jpg
    snail_72 and Nick780 like this.
  9. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Cool, I wouldn't have thought to do this. Great job.
  10. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Lazer cut?
    Is the rear flat with washers stacked under?
    What was the cost?
  11. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    yes that was the easiest way of dealing with the offset which is 3.2mm, so they lasered me 6 x 1.6mm thick washers. All up cost about US$45 (still have to galv them yet), so if anyone wants a set, I can get get a set made with any number of slots. Just do the math, mine was over reading by 8%, so remove four slots (4/48= 0.0833r or 8.3%). easy!
  12. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Not sure if this is applicable to BMW bikes but their cars intentionally have an +8% speedo variation with the odometer & tripmeter being correct. I found this when driving with my Garmin satnav + looking at the vehicle speed reading on my ODBII reader with the dealer confirming this.
    It may pay to check the odometer over a measured distance or satnav to see if your modified sensor ring has affected this.
  13. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    your probably right, which means my economy and range will suffer, but at least I can take the speedo at face value and not have to reach for a calculator to see how fast I'm going.....our cops are real tough on speeding here....and now I don't have any excuses if I get caught where before I could blame the Germans!
  14. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    galv'd, countersunk and complete.

20150901_165840.jpg 20150901_165047.jpg 20150901_163659.jpg 20150901_165847.jpg
  15. MotocycleWriter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650, TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150RT, BMW R100GS
    Where do I get one? I was thinking to build a signal conditioner that would change e frequency of the signal accordingly. I like this solution better!
  16. cmcmullin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Terra 650
  17. shortman Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta XT and 500 RS
    Kiwiape.... I also posted on your profile wall... I know this is an old post but I would really like to buy one of the custom tone rings if you can still get them made! Please let me know