TR650 speedometer question

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Robert Day, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Robert Day Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra and 2014 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 BMW R1200GSA and 2012 V-Rod
    I have a Terra, with 21/18" wheels and I'm replacing them with 17's. I was wondering if anyone knows how to change the wheel diameter on the speedo? Couldn't find how to do it in the manual. Thanks for any assistance!
  2. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

I don't think you'll find a way to modify the speedo.
    You could use something like a Speedohealer. I have one on my DL1000. They are plug and play on many bikes, but because the speedo runs off the rear ABS ring, this might be a trickier solution for the Terra.
    Alternatively, you could try to trick the speedo by messing with the abs ring on the rear wheel. Changing a 140/80/18 for a 150/70/17 will reduce the circumference of the rear wheel by about 5.8%.
    Maybe by reducing the number of slots in the ring from 48 to 45 would theoretically reduce the speedo by 6.2%. I don't know how you would do that.
  3. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Or, you could put a speedometer app on your phone and you could mount a cheapy gps and use the speedometer function on it.
  4. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Nev is right , sadly there is no option to re-calibrate the speedo when you swap wheel sizes.
    Luckily the Terra speedo is more accurate than most so when you do run 17's its error is not that different than a lot of bikes I have owned.

Hot Rod Welding made a re-calibrated ABS/speedo ring for the BMW G650X series, the speedo's on those bikes were WAY off.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458634
    http://www.hotrodwelding.nl/product.php?id=10

The one for the G650X bikes wont work on ours, but you might try contacting them and see if they could make one for ours.
    The biggest issue I see though is our rings have bent flange mounting tabs that make recreation a lot harder than the true flat style that the G650X used.
  5. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Wunderlich has a wheel tone ring from a bmw 650 that fits our bike. The ring is for a 17" wheel. No adjustments needed.
    mag00 likes this.
  6. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Baddrapp,

Do you have a link to that?
    All I find is the ABS ring for running a 17" on the front wheel.
    Not the one for the rear that the speedo works off of.

http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/abs-ring.html
    [IMG]

This is what our rear tone rings look like.

[IMG]
  7. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    Robert - Post some pictures of the bike with 17s when you're done.
  8. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Sorry. I can't remember where I saw the posts. It might be on adventure rider. I see if i can find it again.
  9. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    The factory parts catalog indicates the Terra and the Strada use the same tone ring for both 17 and 18 rear rims.
  10. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Yes, same part as on the 17" BMW 650 GS rims as well.
    BTW there are no 18" Factory rims for the BMW 650 GS bikes, they are all 17"

I believe the actual speedo units for the 17" ABS Strada/Terra and the 18" US/non ABS Terra are calibrated differently internally.

Hence the need for a special made tone wheel to correct the 18" US/non ABS Terra speedo if using a 17" rim.
  11. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I wonder if that is something selectable in the MOSS tool.
    A quick google search found this,.. published in 2000. http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/speedo-cal3.shtml Seems BMWs had some calibration adjustment inside the dash.
  12. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    My Speedo is over by about 8%.... a bit annoying. Has anyone looked in the back of their dash and seen any pots as mentioned above? It seems our bikes are calibrated to run an 18"rear and with mine being a 17' ABS version it goes a long way towards my 8% over read.
  13. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    ok guys I'm looking at getting some new rings made with 4 less slots to correct my error. How many of you are interested in this? I know getting one set done will cost but getting 10 sets done will not cost a lot more. I am hoping to get them made from ferro magnetic Stainless Steel. PM if your interested.
  14. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Pending cost, I would be interested.
    Its something that would be nice to get more accurate when running 17's, but not something that really bugs me enough to spend a lot to fix.

Kiwiape, I am surprised to hear your bike is off assuming it is stock.
    I swear I had had seen the 17" Strada guys claim their speedos were fairly accurate, just like the 18" wheeled Terra guys experience.
  15. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have about a 7mph error to the low side compared to a very good GPS tracking speed.
  16. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Running my 18" wheels/stock tires I saw the speedo showing 2 mph higher than the GPS almost across the board, regardless of speed.
    I had not checked it with different tires as I have not run them long or on any trips where I amuse myself with such things.
  17. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I have not noticed any significant speed discrepancy on mine. Still running the factory 17" rear rim. I'll double check on my way home tonight.
  18. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow, there is a real variance in the discrepancy on these speedometers.
  19. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Yes there is, if you have a quick look over at the BMW 650 and comments they started this with Sensor rings with 4 less slots and that almost perfect for mine which is over reading by 8%.

Mine is an ABS version. If my rear wheel was an 18, it would be better by about 6%....which would be close enough....
  20. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    The ring over on ADVrider thread is for the G650X bikes. (Xchallenge, Xcountry, Xmoto)
    As I noted above it does not fit our bikes nor the single cylinder 650GS bikes.