TR650 luggage options

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nev.., Jan 23, 2013.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Link to the Caribou rack you are referring to?
  2. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    This one from JMCG's post. It appears to be a top plate of sorts, but looks plenty thick to do the job.
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    But how would that prevent the rear plastic rear rack from breaking - if that is bolted to the plastic rear rack?

Just in case you fine people missed it, I created a thread focusing on a stronger rear rack:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/beefier-rear-rack-replacement-options.32885/
  4. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    What I'm suggesting is removing the plastic rack, and then using spacers to mount the Caribou rack in its place. It would be higher, and cover the back seat. However, for those of us who won't carry a passenger, this would put the weight in a better position. It would be a cheap fix too.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I've been struggling with that in the last couple of days, and cannot figure out how to do that and still be able to remove the seat...
  6. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Touche. Hadn't really thought too much about that portion of it.
  7. jmcg Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 800
    I did indeed mount mine to allow seat removal.

Will definitely be looking to replace the rack with a more durable aftermarket product.

So far, no issues with general road commuting but will remove the case for any off-road duties.

JM.
  8. viridicyana Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR75, VF750C Magna, CB1100, R1200RT
    Finally dug out the Dowco Iron Rider Overnight Bag that I've used successfully on lots of other bikes to see if it mates up okay with the TR650 rack. Looks good to me. By no means intended for heavy loads, but plenty of capacity and strength for tools, compressor, jacket, hat, snacks, maps, etc. The bag itself is extremely sturdy, rigid bottom and semi-rigid everywhere else. On the Tiger, I actually used it as an anchor point for lots of other gear. IMG_2685.JPG IMG_2686.JPG IMG_2687.JPG IMG_2688.JPG
  9. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Good fit!
  10. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Yesterday my cell rang, it was Bryon at Bills Motorcycles Plus letting me know my brmoto rack and wolfman expedition bags were in. I had him toss them at the UPS man who dropped them off at my place today. Install was painless, I spent about an hour total, took a bunch of pictures, mounted them without the rear rack and then with the rear rack. I'll be leaving the rear rack on, without it I think I'd melt the webbing that goes across the seat at some point. My camera is having issues, and while I have about 50 photos with it I can't read them with my computer. So we get cell phone shots for now.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Notice the lift in the above photo, the rack goes above the siderack mount and spacers.

[IMG]

Fender failure fix

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

With zero miles on them I'm really excited. These are my first soft saddle bags. I watched the wolfman videos a bunch of times before finally pulling the trigger. Setup is pretty intuitive. I'm an off road amateur, so having a dirt nap worthy setup is great. The components, hardware and documentation are all great quality. My only remaining curiosity is what it will do to my mileage. $490ish for the whole setup, Bill's got an extra set in for stock, or you can get them from brmoto.com. Each of the sides weighs 3lbs 10 oz, the hw is 10 oz, the cross is 1lb. Total for the setup without bags is just under nine lbs, the wolfman expedition bags are 5lbs 10 oz.

I'll post an update when I get some miles on them. Really looking forward to what Berg comes up with for the rear top rack.
  11. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Krussel, that post may have just convinced me to pull the trigger on Berg's racks instead of waiting on Happy Trails.

Can you tell me what the diameter of the tubing on the loop is? I have a set of Ortlieb QLR2's and need to make sure they will attach.
    Coffee likes this.
  12. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
  13. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
    What's the weight on those BRmoto racks?
  14. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dang, that 3/4" tubing is a killer for me. The QLR2's only work up to 16mm (5/8") tubing. Looks like I'm waiting on Happy Trails after all.
  15. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Each of the sides weighs 3lbs 10 oz, the hw is 10 oz, the cross is 1lb. Total for the setup without bags is just under nine lbs, the wolfman expedition bags are 5lbs 10 oz
  16. TE250Guy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KLR 650, Yamaha XT 225
    I got impatient waiting for the Happy-Trail racks too, so I modified my KLR 650 Happy-Trail racks so I can now use my KLR 650 panniers or soft luggage. It adapts easy, no welds required using bar stock available from any hardware store. It was going to be just a temporary setup, but it works so well and I like it so much, I am going to keep it instead of selling the racks with my KLR.. You can see how it looks on the ride report I posted here http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/no...50-where-ya-gonna-go.28364/page-3#post-310725
  17. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    TE250Guy, can you post some photos showing how you did the mod?
    kjackbrown likes this.
  18. TE250Guy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KLR 650, Yamaha XT 225
    Here are a couple of photos. I probably should do a complete write-up, but the photos are pretty straightforward and tell the story.

Adapting KLR 650 Pannier Racks to TR 650

Since I have a KLR 650 and stuff from it, and Happy-Trail's racks have not been released yet, I adapted the HT racks I had to my Terra. It requires no welding and some readily available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc strapping or bar stock or whatever the right word. I used 1/8" and 3/16". The metal straps can be easily bent in a vice with the help of a large crescent wrench and a hammer to do the twisting and bending. Though I mounted the HT SU rack, any of the KLR racks will fit using the same adaptors.

The rack mounts at three attach points and in addition to providing a rack, also dramatically stiffens and strengthens both the rear TR 650 rack and the rear fender. It is strong enough to lift the bike, though I won't. Here is what the finished Installation looks like:
    [IMG]

Note that the LH and RH side are not symmetrical at the muffler hanger bracket. I have some excess material on the adaptor below where I bolted in so I can lower the rack, but I like it the way it is. It provides ample clearance between the adaptor and the muffler and heat shield. My legs are well away from the pannier and do not hit it if I waddle along with both of my legs touching the ground. Also note that I uses a spacer where the rack attaches to the muffler hanger adaptor to minimize any flex. I want it to flex or even bend in a crash to absorb the loads and not be a sharp impact at the attachments to the Terra. The non-structural spacer is just a short piece of PVC pipe.

Here are some details:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Hope this helps.
    FabOneUp, HARDER1 and RidingDonkeys like this.
  19. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Nice job leveraging the KLR bits.
    TE250Guy likes this.
  20. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I believe you stated somewhere that you already have a QLR2 bag - have you tried putting something that is 3/4" in diameter in those hooks?
    kjackbrown likes this.