TR650 Crash bars

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nev.., Feb 28, 2013.

1. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    I'm in.
  2. roscotom Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BMW F800GS Adventure
    If you can do it fast I'm in, but they need to be nice. Thinking about cancellation on my altrider order. What is your location.
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I need em nice too. I'm sure that that butt ugly bash plate for the TR650 is strong, but for that money, I would like something that accentuates the bike.

I haven't made my supply inroads here in Tucson. In CA and CO, I knew who to use and where to get my supplies. I dropped out of fabrication when I moved here.

What do you need the bars to protect? How stout you want them. I'll go shopping for the tubing tomorrow. I'll source out a powder coater, or if you want, they can be bare and you paint any color you want. I do not know what lead time is on the coatings.

For a bash plate, I'm thinking a nice 1/8 steel plate. Some reading on aluminum vs steel, there is no weight advantage for strength on the bash plate. But the fact that steel is a bit more friendly to work with, I think it is better. I may gauge the steel thinner, if it looks like it will work.

I need to get these going for my summer riding, and maybe this will light the fire under me. The Rack is my first priority. Well, maybe the bash plate, but I really need a good rack.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    That puts this site in an awkward situation.

The additional load on the cafehusky server caused by the TR650 discussions caused me to upgrade the server months ago - which is being partially funded by the TR650 sponsors.

Think I will sleep on this topic. Though I certainly share everyones frustration because I am waiting for the ALTrider crash bars too.
  5. roscotom Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BMW F800GS Adventure
    Coffee sorry for the problem but sponsors that don't produce don't help. You may loose more than you gain. People will loose confidence if we sponsor companies that don't produce. Just my opinion. I will help if I can. Contributing now. Please help coffee if you agree.
    Coffee likes this.
  6. Abby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra

So, like if you need money and stuff to make the web site keep running, i'd totally be willing to give you wahtever. i know my brothers doneated like $5000 last year to some john deere site so it would stay running. i'd totally be up for that.
    Coffee likes this.
  7. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    +1 ... I just contributed

mag00... I would have thought a replacement rear rack setup would be the place to start. A product not yet available (as far as I can tell) which might get sufficient interest for you to help recover some costs of machinery.
    Coffee likes this.
  8. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I am waiting for my altrider order also, and i'm a bit disappointed that the delivery date is pushed back, but I think this badmouthing of altrider is unwarranted. We're all been in the same boat with all sorts of parts from many manufacturers over the past 6-8 months. The people who bought the first 1 or 2 shipments of TR650s didn't even have any accessories to choose from, and then the talk of the KTM takeover made it seem possible that accessory makers might drop the model completely. I presume that Altrider are pushing back the delivery date for a good reason, and not just to piss people off, so reacting as if they're doing something intentionally to punish you for wanting to be their customer is probably unwarranted and unfair, and given that Altrider probably keeps tabs on these threads, probably isn't going to help any either.

I think if you're not prepared to wait, then go right ahead and cancel your order and buy some alternative, but as far as I know the TR650 crash bars market isn't exactly awash with alternatives.
    Coffee, WoodsChick, HARDER1 and 3 others like this.
  9. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    +1

And comparison to 1200LC is somehow unfortunate as BMW is going to sell several times more of them. We need to learn how to live with niche bike, I'm afraid.
  10. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think you'll find that there are actually quite a few good bash plate designs readily available already. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, but between Touratech, Motosportz, SW-Motech, B&B, and Ricochet, there are some good options in every price point.

It seems SW-Motech is the only crash bar in the game though. FabOneUp made a great set for his Terra. I'd love to see something like that available for purchase.
    FabOneUp, chickabee and Bobzilla like this.
  11. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    It isn't a TR650 thing, a niche bike thing, or an Altrider thing. It is a bad business thing. The most fundamental benchmark of a business is delivering product on time. Quality is subjective, but deadlines are not. If you can't deliver product on time, then your business is going to suffer. If you can't deliver product to me on time, then I'm not going to continue to do business with you.

I am anxiously awaiting Happy Trails to release their luggage racks. However, Happy Trails has been very up front about the fact that they are in development, and they cannot release a projected production date. I'm cool with that. I haven't missed out on anything else and I have made plans accordingly.

AltRider said that they would take pre-orders for a crash bar, and would be shipping them on a specific timeframe. That timeframe keeps shifting. I have made plans around that timeframe. I even built in time for delays. But now we are even beyond that buffer zone. Now it is to the point that I simply don't want to spend my money with them. If they can't meet the deadline that they promised me, then why should I spend my money with them? If they are having supply chain issues, then that is on them to sort out. It is Business 101.
    Lekolite, Bobzilla and kjackbrown like this.
  12. Allen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda NH750
    Maybe they are putting in a cross brace :D...
    kjackbrown, HuskyDude and krussell like this.
  13. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Most likely there unforeseen circumstances we're just not aware of.
    I know with dealing with many vendors and supplier in the industrial business, delivery dates vary...lots.
    Plus you have to keep in mind we're not talking 1000-2000 items here...right. Few dozen at best.
    But it would be nice if we did here a reason for the delay.

Enquiring minds want to know!

:cheers:
  14. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Why not buy it at Walmart? <----sarcasm

I was really steamed last night, and my GF said, "Please don't get into it with them".

That was last night, today is a new day. But I'm still puzzled. I also extend my thanks and gratitude to those who had faith in my abilities. New products will emerge where there is a need, whether it is me or somebody else providing them. That is the beauty of this nation. You have the choice to support whom you wish to.
    Bobzilla likes this.
  15. Bobzilla Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Trek Madone

Abby,
    I can certainly use some money to keep my growing addiction moving along. I ride a Husky & John Deere so I'm hoping that will convince you to help me out.

thanks
    nev.. likes this.
  16. Abby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra

What? do you run that john deere site they fixed?
    Bobzilla likes this.
  17. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think he's just looking for someone to support his motorcycle riding addiction. :D
    Bobzilla likes this.
  18. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Aren't We All ?! :busted:
    WoodsChick and Bobzilla like this.
  19. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Touche. :thumbsup:
    Bobzilla and Lekolite like this.
  20. William42 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT1200Z
    Got the SW-Motech crash bars installed. Straight forward bolt on.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I had to trim the Ricochet skid plate to clear the crash bar.

[IMG]
    dmw_az, Coltx, Allen and 6 others like this.