TR650 Crash bars

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nev.., Feb 28, 2013.

1. mcalistr Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    You may not have them installed correctly DanD- It took a lot of fiddling to get my bars to find the sweet spot where they seem to fall into place and both sides sit the same.
  2. DanD Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 R1200C, '04 R1150RS, '13 WR250R
    It was easy to see that they were off by lining up only the front bolts squarely and seeing where the upper rearmost mounting points fell in relation to the bike. The bars were in a bind when mounted squarely. And even at that they were also asymmetrical when mounted squarely.

I'm glad yours worked for you. But I take offense to the "not knowing what I'm doing" tact. I know you have no way of knowing my past experience but I've been wrenching on bikes for 35 years, owned two full time shops and a full blown ten acre motorcycle salvage yard.

Suffice it to say I've been around the block a few times and have installed and or adapted more after market bike accessories in a year than most people will install in a lifetime.

The alt rider bars lack design/manufacturing synergy. Period. Great idea piss poor execution and follow design.

But that's just my opinion. You're welcome to your own.
  3. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I'm 6'1" 32 inch inseam My ALT bars are not in my way, so I'm happy with the fit and position Dropped the bike did what it's supposed to
  4. mcalistr Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    No offense meant- just stating my experience as others have had similar issues.
  5. Potomac Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Bullet w/ Cozy Sidecar
    Dang I dont know how you guys aren't having knee contact on the altriders. I guess some of us ride way more forward because my legs are a good 3 to 4 inches over the bars when I ride where I normally would. Replacing them with the Happy Trails this weekend.
  6. Potomac Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    For the record, Happy Trail bars don't fit with the Altrider skid plate. It's really close but no dice.

For anyone who is interested, I have some Altrider bars I'll ship to you in U.S. for $200. Brand new, just been on the bike then right off.
  7. Asmith02 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    EX Kawa Versys, EX Triumph Speed Tri

This is really the only thing that makes sense to me. At 6'1" I have to try really hard to make my knees even touch the bars. In that same vein though I don't know how you guys can ride that much closer to the front of the seat without crushing your family name on every bump. :excuseme: Must just be one of things that we will never know. Unless someone who lives in Washington and has this problem wants to meet up with me and compare notes....I would be down for some beers and shooting the shit, also pretty sure my bike is faster then yours. :banana:
  8. rj95lss Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL500R
    Does anyone know if the Happy Trails will work with the stock skid plate?
  9. Potomac Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    So looks like no other bars are compatible with the Altrider skid plate. Did anyone modify any other bars to fit with the Altrider plate?
  10. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I am currently considering the SW Motech crash bars which are almost $200 cheaper here in Oz than the Altriders. However, I will have to alter my B&B bashplate to make it fit with the SW bars. I see that TassieRob (pg 16 of this thread) made the necessary modifications but I was keen to see some photos of the final fit.

I don’t think TassieRob is still on this site; has anyone else got this combination of bars and bashplates to play nicely together? To obtain a clean and straight cut on the bashplate (aluminium) is an angle grinder the way to go?
  11. rj95lss Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL500R
    I ended up with this combo and didn't cut anything. I just bent the plate, in fairness I have access to a full metalshop and a giant "break" (sheet metal bender) that I used to bend right where I wanted and at a clean angle so it looks factory'ish.

I will take a picture in the morning.
  12. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Thanks mate, that would be much appreciated : )
  13. DandyDisco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    TU250 SL230. CT110
    I've got the same combo and it didn't take much get to fit.

Greg
  14. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Hey Greg, thanks for the reply. What did you use to trim the bashplate? I'm thinking a jigsaw may work...
  15. TheBeer Hunter Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Crash report Flinders ranges South Australia. First serious off road crash using SW motech skid-plate and crash bars combined with barkbusters and D606 front and rears. 1st gear going up a 4x4 track steep "low range high clearance required" incline. Took a crappy line and had the bike do a partial loop to the right and end up tank facing downhill and gushing fuel. I had to drag her by the tail rack a full 90 degrees before I could lift her up. All said and done the damage is minimal. Crash bars and'busters saved my bodywork though I do have two small dings in the exhaust. I am a happy customer.

Attached Files:

kiwiape and DeLewis like this.
  16. gullywasher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ6, Beta 300RR

I have the SW Motech crash bars and the Ricochet skid plate which required some minor modification to fit. I just used an angle grinder and grinding wheel on the skid plate to trim it where it was making contact with the crash bar on the left side of the bike. It took very little effort and looks like the skid plate was made that way. I doubt it would be any more difficult with your B&B.

The SWM crash bars are great by the way - look awesome and very sturdy. I had a relatively low-speed high-sided on pavement, and they bars aren't even bent that I can tell.
  17. JimKelly Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R75/5, Suzuki Stinger, Yamaha YB
    I think I just bought the last set of Altrider Terra crash bars in Australia. I'd been tossing up between the Altrider and the SW Motech so I rang Adventuremoto to see if they had any Altrider in stock. Last pair is now mine for $100 off the website price (I think he wanted to get them off the shelf)
  18. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    The Altrider bars are very good and have done a good job for me. I went down in rocks a couple of times when I tried a trail which is really for a lightweight bike. No damage to bars or the bike.
  19. JimKelly Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R75/5, Suzuki Stinger, Yamaha YB
    Altrider bars turned up today. Will be fitting them on the weekend. It came with two of the frame locating brackets. Doesn't it only need one?
  20. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

Yep it only needs one bracket, and even then it might be surplus to requirements. The problem which that resolved didn't occur on all installations. I put my bracket on when they posted it to me, but I had no indication that the bars were riding up the frame.