TR650 Crash bars

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nev.., Feb 28, 2013.

1. RacerAV Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 Honda Ruckus, many others before
    Does anyone know the weights of the SW bars and then the Alt bars? Everything I do, I try do make it lighter. I want to keep with that plan even with the new crash bars.
  2. AltRider LLC Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 BMW F 800 GS, 2008 R 1200 GS
    Not sure on the SW bars, but I just through a set of ours on the scale and they weigh in at 6.25 pounds. That's still in the packaging (plastic bag and bubble wrap), so they're actually just a touch lighter.

-- Mitch
  3. Hansi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Versys
  4. RacerAV Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 Honda Ruckus, many others before
    Thanks Mitch! Yeah looking like ALT bars will be a bit lighter than the other options... I am a little concerned about my knee coming into contact with the upper mounting points though...

Anyone have any issues like that? Under 6' tall?
  5. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S

Hey RacerAV,
    I'm sure you'll be fine with the AltRider bars. I'm 6'1" and never touch the bars with my knees. They definitely had this in mind when they designed them - top notch product.
  6. Moff69 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR600-Sold, wasn't riding it
    Looking at the alt crash bars for my strada, l like the larger protection area of the alt's
    Hope to order a set in a month or so, still not game to take my redheaded Italian Mistress off the blacktop yet.
    Link likes this.
  7. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Mine Altrider bars had their debut yesterday.

Dropped my glove while I was taking a photo. Rather than risk the bike falling over if I reached down and overbalanced I put the stand down and got off. As I was swinging my leg over, I hooked the pannier on my boot. The ground under the stand was quite soft and the whole bike pivoted over on the stand as I lost my balance.

[IMG]
    Link likes this.
  8. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    I have a set of AltRider bars coming, so just curious if they did the job - as in protecting the fiddly bits? Also - where is that glorious stretch of gravel - Yarra Valley?
  9. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    With the barkbusters, altrider bars and the panniers on the bike and the sidestand extender foot, I don't think any actual stock part of the bike came close to the ground.

Close. Further east. The Warburton - Woods Point Road. C511 At the top of the Reefton Spur, turn right, not left. about 55km of dirt to Woods Point. Another 50 or so Km of dirt to Jamieson.
  10. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    Looks great - definitely going there soon! Now - off for a MOSS session in the next hour at MOTO GC.
  11. Anton Alegrado Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW GS 1200 Adventure, KTM Superduke
    Just installed the Altrider crash bars on my strada.

Is it just me or are they really asymmetrical? The right one looks wider than the left. Could this be the way I installed it? Anyone here have the same issue?

Attached Files:

12. Jon Knutson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KTM 450 SX-F (Street Legal)
    Try loosening the hardware and wiggling it around mine settled down to be as symmetric as my eyes can tell.
    Link likes this.
  13. Asmith02 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    EX Kawa Versys, EX Triumph Speed Tri
    Went down to Altrider yesterday in Seattle as I live about 45 min away, talked with Mitch got some great help. He told me their shop TR got stolen then crashed on I-5 not long ago when I checked out the bike you could tell the bar was bent a little, no other damage to the bike, considering I-5 is at least 60 mph that is pretty good in my book. Anyways, bars went on really easy took me about 45 min and I am not the fastest. My only complaint with the very detailed directions was that there are 2 larger washers which they do not tell you where they go. But really I figured they replaced the washers on the engine bolts because there isn't anywhere else to go. I must say bars look good and feel very strong. Took it for a quick ride, I am 6'1" and my knees do not touch at all unless I really try to make them. I have the Ricochet skid plate and I did not have to modify it at all which was very nice. After tightening everything down the little piece to keep it from riding up was still loose but won't come out. While the price was a little more then I like to spend on my toys, I think these are worth every penny. If/when I go down on some trail I will make sure I take a picture for clearance info.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. Link Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia, Honda, HD

I am 6'2" and I have a bit of knee contact. The stock seat pushes me forward, and my knees touch the bars. I have not slammed them, yet! My solution will be to get the +2" Seat Concepts seat to flatten out that annoying hump so I can ride a little further back on the seat.
    Other then that, great bars, easy to install and look great!
  15. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    Definitely get the tall seat. I love mine. Do NOT get the carbon top as it is very slippery and you will be sliding around. Get the gripper.

My SW Motech bars are on their way and the shipping weight is 11 pounds according to UPS.
    Link likes this.
  16. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650

i installed SW motech and it helps too much to tie Terra to carry on trailer. i use 6 ropes to tie it. much safe. two of them directly to SW bars.
  17. nyburner Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Anyone here in the states selling a set 2nd hand? Any brand I'm not picky...
  18. Potomac Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Bullet w/ Cozy Sidecar
    Just installed my Altrider bars. I'm 6'1 and my knees are hugging on the bars if I ride normally. The angle I have them at puts them right on the bike though so they aren't at the angle Asmith appears to have them here which is kind of flared out compared to mine. I'm on a stock height Seatconcepts but I'm going to get the high from them too since I still have the stock seat in my closet. Maybe that will fix my problem, or if I flare the bars out as shown here, I'll play around and take some pictures.
  19. DanD Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 R1200C, '04 R1150RS, '13 WR250R
    I'm 5'10" w/31" inseam and ride with my knees tucked in slightly hugging the tank. The upper mounting points painfully dug in to my knees unless I spread my knees off the tank. With my knees tucked in every bump in the road was an aggravating experience.

Between the shit design of the front engine mount (they could have fixed this problem with a redesign of the lower front mounting plate but the end 'fix' was a band-aid at best) and the knee contact (also should have been addressed) I decided to send mine back.

Certainly a good looking piece but far from well designed and definitely lacked the appropriate testing to sort out the issues prior to selling. Mine were also 'off' between each of the sides bend. That is, one side stood farther away from the bike than the other side. Either the bends were not even between the bars or the end plates in the top where the knees are (what I suspect) were welded a degree or so off from the other side.

Great idea but piss poor execution IMNSHO.
  20. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I have the same measurements and I don't even get close to touching my altrider bars. Sorry to to hear your experience wasn't good. I think there great and well designed.