Toasted Top End Avoided

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by TomGlander, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    It has been on another ride since the first problem, hence the oil.....
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Really? Maybe it will buff out :)

--

I'm just a 250cc rider ... We have a hard time keeping up with the 4fitty guys even in the garage :)
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  3. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    It may still be ok but as a mechanic, from a photo, it doesn't look great. :(

250 guys are fine! Most of the places I ride a 250 is as fast, just gotta work more for it. Only slower on the open trails & roads.

Makes you look better too when you do keep up :)

If something like the current YZF250 had lights & rego when I bought my TE449, I might have looked at it......:D
    ray_ray likes this.
  4. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511
    Thanks guys. Going through depression right now. But glimmer of hope taken. Maybe the crank mod spoken of is a good thing. This may all work out just fine.
  5. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Hope it works out well & it turns out we were all wrong, for your sake! :thumbsup:
  6. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    How much oil did you have to add back to the engine?
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Good attitude man. Really sorry to see / hear this. Hope you get it back and going with not to much pain. Good luck.
  8. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    It's NOT ok. Clearly, it seized from the original "incident" as I suspected from your original running (dieing) description. That part and the head are toast. A competent machinist could fix it by taking the mating surfaces down several thousanths, then line-boring it again to spec, custom spec if the cam journals are ground instead of a new cam(s). But new parts may just be cheaper, when you consider in new valve guides and seats and such. But, with the plug fouling and all, I'm sure the cylinder looks very similar to that, and the rod big-end is the most stressed item of the "oiled" bunch. Sorry but get ready for the worst. Just the facts. For the record, I have seen Quadtarders opt to run stuff like that, and worse. Doesn't make it right, though!! Tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, ............
    robertaccio likes this.
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I've seen 310's like this before, never know how the bottom end is until we open it.
  10. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511
    You'll get to open it on Wednesday, or whenever you get around to it. I'll have the bike there on Wednesday before noon. It's in pieces. I'm pretty sure MotoMarc36 is right, it'll be a relief to know how much damage was done.

Tinken, there was probably a quarter of the case with oil in it after the initial blowout. Then it burned out on the ride up the mountain. About a quarter of the case of oil left after that ride. I pretty much destroyed the motor, I'm guessing. Dang. In hindsight it's pretty sickening to do something like that to a friend. Well, better to investigate than to speculate. So far, all I know is what I've seen, and I haven't seen the piston yet, nor the internals.
  11. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511

Added back 600 cc. It had 1200 cc in it before the initial blowout of oil. So it lot a good half.
  12. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511

More fingers crossed that damage isn't catastrophic....
  13. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511
    Final post on this matter. The top end is shot. Need a piston, cylinder, head. Big scores on the cylinder and piston. Head is shot, can't be repaired. Ok, bring on the money. Gonna cost me plenty. Damage is catastrophic, indeed.
  14. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511

Yes indeed. Toast. Shot. New parts. New top end. Sucks. :banghead::banghead:
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  16. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Sorry to hear man. Sucks!
  17. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511

That's putting it mildly. The thing is, if I had never done this mod in the first place, this wouldn't have happened. It's because I did this mod to save my bike in the long run, and then let the hose kink, that this happened. They need to create a better solution, or include some warning message or something.... Don't kink your hose! :busted: I'm laughing now, but it's taken a month to get to this point. Can't say it's anyone's fault but my own, and all because I wanted to add a device to monitor RPMs. Had I not done that, I wouldn't have messed with the hoses.... and they wouldn't have gotten kinked.

Attention to detail is a good thing, and I was not paying attention at all that evening. Lesson learned. Hope anyone else might learn from this as well. If you put on the ZipTy oil breather, don't bend your tubing too much or it'll kink on ya for certain and you'll fry your top end from lack of oil after it's all pushed into the airbox.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    exactly why I don't build motor or oil products. To risky.
  19. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Yes, all mods away from standard carry an element of risk.
    I thought long and hard before pulling out my butterfly on my engine. Months actually, but decided if it killed the bike, that would stop the faulty system killing me.
    I feel your pain mate, it's a tough lesson learnt for the rest of us to take note of.
  20. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Sorry man. Don't be too hard on yourself, that is an easy oversight that could happen to anyone. You should see some of the stuff I see people go out of their way to do to ruin their stuff, then they want to blame someone else, proving their stupidity and poor character. You are owning up and taking it like a man, proving an honest mistake and very good character.:thumbsup: