Toasted Top End Avoided

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by TomGlander, Jun 17, 2014.

1. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511
    Too late. I already took the ride. Made it to the top of the mountain, then back down, and at the bottom the bike died. It cranks over just fine, but won't fire, like it has no spark or no fuel. Only rode 39 miles total and there' lots of gas in the tank.

So, maybe it's the rings, maybe something else. I'm going to take the bike to the KTM shop and get rid of it. Consignment, after they fix it. Or maybe I should bring it up to you guys for a look. It's a lot longer drive up there, and with my F350 sucking fuel it's really long. But I could make the trip next Wednesday.

I don't know what to do. I have an extended warranty, but it's probably voided due to ZipTy oil bottle? Or removal of the CARB crap? Would a shop use those mods as a reason to deny a warranty claim?

Thanks for any help you might offer. I'd really like to be done with the problem once and for all. Selling is always an option.
  2. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Depends on the shop. We can take a look at it if you wish, might be something simple.
  3. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511
    Is it possible to schedule time for next Wednesday? I could be up there in the morning. Let me know. July 2nd. Thanks.
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You can bring it by anytime M-F 8-5 or later if you schedule. You will need to leave it with us.
  5. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800

Didn't you just buy it?
  6. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511

Yes... I just bought it... I don't know. I'm having a love-hate affair right now with this bike. The only thing I know for sure right now is that I need to take it to ZipTy... not the KTM shop... I trust Tinken and the guys up there will know what to do to fix it right. Hopefully it's not something major. Maybe I'll keep it. All depends on what happens after I deliver it to them for inspection and repairs.

I'd probably miss it if I sold it.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    ~Weird story on the failure and Good luck with your bike ... god and ZipTy save the 449 bikes ... Its about all this cafe has now along with a little 310 :)

--

Tin, might new release notes on your MOD be needed to identify this kink issue, if it is an issue, or maybe something other that a rubber hose where the kink in question is happening? Customers always make the best testers of about any product :)
    TomGlander likes this.
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Seriously. With the "Original blow show" being permanently out to lunch and orange dumping all that is red, I think you hit that one on the head. Kink issue, well there is a first time for everything. Will require inspection before speculation.
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    If it's gotta go let us know first. Those are all but impossible to find. The last of the breed and still a 2014!
    TomGlander likes this.
  10. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511
    Planning on having the bike up there on Wednesday, probably around 11 a.m. Will leave it. However, the "kink issue" is no longer, as I've already substituted two 90 degree elbows in the hose, so it's impossible for the hose to fold back on itself. Anyway, I'll show whoever is there on Wednesday exactly how things were when this all took place. And like Tinken says, "inspection before speculation." Once this mystery is solved, of course I'll be sharing all that I've learned, and hopefully this never happens to anyone else. Ever. I'm so stupid. It would never have happened to me if I hadn't routed the hose so tightly, and left a bigger loop. Oh well. Life goes on.
    Motosportz likes this.
  11. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511
    I'm still inviting speculation until I get a definitive answer from the shop. Here's the spark plug I just pulled out. Pretty sad. LOTS of oil burning going on. I'm guessing rings. Anyone else care to take a guess, go ahead.

[IMG]
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  12. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511

Ok already. My arm has been twisted online and offline. I'll keep the bike. Now my wife says it's ok, because one day it'll be worth something because it's the last of the breed. Well, I don't know about my agreement with her, but it's good input all the same. Thanks guys for encouraging me to hang in there.
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  13. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511

I'm thinking along the same lines. But then, you can't fix stupid (me) so no matter how good your notes might be.
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Hopefully no serious damage and it's just a re-hone, rings and head gasket. We can take your fittings out and add the proper length of upper tubing.
  15. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511

I'm hoping the same. After cleaning up that plug, the bike started right up. I'm thinking the rings somehow got affected from a semi fluid lock state (if that's possible), and let oil by them in a significant way. Time will tell the story. I'm bringing my extended warranty info with me just in case a case can be made for this in my favor, else I'll be paying the piper. Whatever. It's been an interesting lesson so far.
  16. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511
    Looks like serious damage to me. What thinkest thou? And this is only the cam holder. Things look like they got toasted. Any ideas on what to do now? Order parts? Looks like it needs a whole new head to me.... :banghead:

I guess I'm planning on the trip Wednesday. Will bring everything to ZipTy and let 'em have at it, unless this is catastrophic, and it'll cost more than it's worth to fix. Will extended service plans cover this kind of repair, I wonder?

[IMG]

[IMG]
  17. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Sorry to say, but it has run out of oil.
    If the top end looks like that, good chance the bottom may be damaged also. :(
    It may still be worth stripping for a look, but likely to be other damage inside & dear to fix.....

May be cheaper to get a Speed-brain whole engine deal.
  18. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    When all the oil is on the outside of the motor, stop riding the bike...

Sorry that this happened. :(
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    There is a drop of oil showing in the pic above inside the valve cover... The top side starves first I think? Don't get excited but there is still some slim hope for the bottom end ...
  20. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    That'll buff out. No biggie. Seriously, sorry but if anybody can bring it back, ZipTy can. And you can go for the crank mod while your at it and make it better than stock.