Tires-Opinions and Performance

Discussion in 'TR650' started by eca, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    Yup thats what I run on my KLR. Good tire in the dirt and gets decent mileage. They are spooky in the twisties, those side knobs flex like crazy!:eek:
    PaulC likes this.
  2. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    HuskyDude i do recall reading about the recall on E-07's. Seems it was limited to a batch of 19" tires. All i can say is i'm really diggin' this tire on the black top, cause it digs in like nothin' else. As someone mentioned about outer lug flex creating hairy mary in the twisties. The Mitas outers are extruded and it really shows in the fearless ability to dive in effortlessly and hold a firm tack. If these work well in the dirt, i'll be smitten for good. Also reputedly high milage, remains to be seen. Free shipping to Cannucks!
  3. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The 270's were created to emulate the traction of a trials tire with tall flexible sidewalls. They were used in the X competitions until outlawed. We use them on all of our tour bikes, but I am not too sure about handling the weight of a TR650.. :thinking:
  4. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Yes the 270 has a lot of side wall flex, like a trials tire (michelin x11)
    I think the Metzeler Sahara's are good but not that good for the money they cost to replace them. But they are a IMO a 70/30 road tire. And I was looking for a more dirt orientated tire.
    Even at lower psi I find the Sahara's not very good on gravel or dirt but are OK on the road.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    908RR/MT21 seems to me would be a better tire for that kind of weight.
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I see. Not familiar with the 270, just thought the Sahara did not have a thick sidewall.
  7. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)
    So I have a newb question on tires. I was looking at the t63 and notised that the largest is 130-80-18, and the stock terra tire is 140-80-18. could I run the t63 anyway? you loose 10mm width and a bit in height. I've always bought tires that were the same size so I've never really thought about it.
  8. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    You would be fine with the 130 T63, but it won't last long if you ride on pavement, or off-road either. The T63 is inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. A much longer lasting tire good for pavement and off-pavement is the Dunlop 908RR. Long lasting and decent everywhere.
  9. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)
    that's good to know. So as long as the diameter is the same your good to go? In reviews of the T63 many people said they liked how long the T63 lasted. I'll look at the 908rr as well. I'm seeing that tires are the same as oil!
  10. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

I think people are much more passionate and opinionated about tyres, than oils. People rarely blame their brand of oil for making them crash.
    PaulC and vodka like this.
  11. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    I have a little over 4000 miles on a set of T63's. The front shows little wear and the rear is about toast. Will definately slap on another 130/80/18 on the rear. There is a lot of value in this tire at $72 a pop, compared to $131 for the TKC and $106 for the D606.:D
  12. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Hey wolftrax,
    Can you post a picture or 2 of your Terra with the T63's?
    I was very happy with the T63's on my DRZ but was not sure if they would seem too small on the Terra.
  13. William Clark Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 yamaha rt100 (sons bike)
    so a quick question....do i want to run a 4.00x18 on the rear or a 4.50x18? i was thinking the 4.50...not sure it seems to be the only tires i want are not in metric sizing.
  14. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    [IMG]
    PaulC and Ogre_fl like this.
  15. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Knobbies totally change the look of the Terra, for the better...
    Nice set up there Wolftrax. I'm curious as what bags you have, but dont want to hi-jack this thread
  16. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    Bags are here:
    http://www.nomadrider.com/venturebaglarge.aspx
  17. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Thank you sir!
  18. vodka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200R , Yamy WR250R
    :busted: venture bags.jpg
    Those Venture Bags are useful if you want to work on the rear wheel.. Could be a tree...well it could ...
    Clete likes this.
  19. Canyonwild Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yam DT175
    I have ran both the 270 and the IRC GP1 on my KLR. The GP1 was way better in all points. I used it front and back, and was my choice for a long trip to MOAB. The GP1 combo was outstanding in everything there but soft sand, which there's plenty of. For this, a different front would have been better. Of course, the KLR is a pig in the sand to start with.

That being said, I'm heading to BIG BEND in a couple weeks and I just put on a GP1 on the rear and a TR8 on the front just last night. The handling will take some getting used to. It tends to fall into corners going slow and flare out in corners going fast. I think a couple hundred miles will make it settle in. However, I also used a monster Michellin super heavy duty tube and I'm thinking it's making the handling WIERD. Next time I change tires, I may go with a little lighter 3mm tube. Trade off. I'll update with my experiences after the trip.
  20. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I just bought the Mitas E-07 front and rear plus tubes from www.mx1canada.com, they said the rear was out of stock and would not be available until January. He tried to sell me the E-07 - 130/80 18", I almost bought it but the rim size is 3.00 and the stock tire is a 140/80 18" and its rim size is 3.50, he said it would work but since winter is almost here and my riding is about over I ordered the stock 140/80 18", I can wait til January delivery :cry: but won't be riding til late March