Tires-Opinions and Performance

Discussion in 'TR650' started by eca, Jun 7, 2013.

1. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)
    I'm looking at getting a set of tires that are a little bit more dirt oriented, but I'm having a hard time trying to decide which set to get. I was looking at the K60 Scouts, but have heard stories high speed issues. Also I thought it would be good to start a thread dedicated to tires and their performance on the Terra/Strada.
  2. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    The more aggressive the tire, the more stability issues you are likely to have at high speed. Sometimes this is due to the tire, sometimes the operator, sometimes the farkles. Many aggressive tires require more balancing, which some people neglect to do, hence the wobble.

The K60's are great tire. The only real complaint I've heard about them is front tire traction in gravel/sand. I have heard that specific complaint from several riders who push their rigs pretty hard. Many have chosen to keep the K60 on the rear, and put something like a MT21 up front. I've never heard a real complaint about the K60 on the road though.

Put 50 sets of any tire on 50 TR650's, and the two guys who get a wobble will scream louder than a fat chick at a Clay Aiken concert, while everyone else is out riding and enjoying those tires. It's just the way it is.
  3. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Havent had to buy anything for the TR yet...but used to run nothing but D606's on my KLR. Great tire but (rear) only lasted ~ 3k miles. Im going to try something different on the TR just not sure what yet. Keeping my eye on this thread. :thumbsup:
  4. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    A K60 will be my regular rear except when I'm doing something silly. Then I'll be using a Dunlop 908RR in the back. Up front, it will always be something like a D606 or TKC80. I'm running an IRC TR8 right now and it's fine unless you want to do high speed, say 75 plus. A TKC 80 would be good up front and there should be no issues for any reasonable speed, but the grip off road will be a bit less than with a D606. Another member is using a 908RR rear now and likes it a lot. We will both use that this summer on the COBDR. My two bits......
  5. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    Give the Michelin t63 a whirl. After the the first 200 miles of "O Shit" moment they scrub in and are fantastic for my type of riding. Good in the dirt and good on the tar. BTW no wobbles but they will wander a bit, but I've yet to ride a DS with knobs that didn't. My 2 cents worth,
  6. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    I love the K60 Scout, it was a terrific tire on my Guzzi Stelvio NTX....lasted forever, worked really well.
    The front is a similarly great tire within the confines of a big heavy bike like the Stelvio where you're not asking much of it re: real offroad performance at any speed.

On a lighter bike (still heavy for a dualsport) like the Terra, I'll go with the K60 rear and a TKC80.
    mario33 likes this.
  7. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE390, BMW F800GS
    DOG PILE ! ! !

I'm gonna run Avon Gripsters next chance I get.

HF
    Coffee likes this.
  8. Deans BMW Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS, Yamaha XT250, HD RK
    What would put on a Strada for better off road grip?
  9. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a bridgestone ED03 on the front and it works just fine on the road and off road you better have a dot knobby or get ready to have a lot of oops moments.
  10. JupBa22 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Just bought Bridgestone Battle Wing 501-502 Front-Rear, will feedback.
    Got 7000 km out of Metzeler Sahara 3's.
  11. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    Squeezed 5,500 miles out of the Sahara's. Switched to Mitas and after running duals sport tires for 25yrs. I can honestly say these out perform anything i've tried on the street! Yet to be tested dirt side, but you won't believe how these things perform on the black top. Stick like shit to a blanket. Insane angles of lean. Outter lugs extruded to inhibit that soft squishy feel. Incredible profile gives them unrivaled free flowing roll over, quicker turn in and cornering. I find my riding has transformed with these on the street (where i do 70% currently). Can't say enough about these tires, especially if they live up to the claimed life expectancy. Surely can't be any worse than the Sahara's off road!
    JupBa22 likes this.
  12. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Mitas? More info please.
  13. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    If you like d/s tires that perform like street tires, i can't imagine finding better tires for the job. The profile on these things is sick, okay, it may compromise their off road ability a tad. But in my book off road on a 400 pounder plus gear has it's limitations. The mileage is reportedly double many of the alternatives, but the fact they handle like nothing else street wise sold me on them alone. My confidence level has risen and i believe become much smoother. Less last minute braking as they turn in instantly and hold a tight line.
    So far as i know MX 1 in Canada is the only NA dealer, or was last month, with stock. Great folks to deal with, i got a set of E-07 for $209 plus $45 to US, free if you're north side of the line.
    Also posted on the PCV thread looking for feedback i noticed somewhere you installed one. Then on another thread you have incredible gas mileage figures. Curious wether there was a correlation between the PCV or wether it has changed for better or worse since installation. Generally looking to for solid feedback on pros and cons of PCV. I'll check back there later....cheers!
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I'm not sure what the exact status is, but Drew Smith used to sell Mitas (WER Works Enduro Rider)
    http://www.werproducts.net

Drew prefers phone vs email as I recall.
  15. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    PaulC likes this.
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Just called Drew - he is no longer a Mitas tire dealer. He said there was a place in Canada though - which re-affirms what has been said.
  17. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Wasn't there a big recall on the E-07's

Mitas Recall

I wonder if you can check production dates on the tire to make sure?:thinking:
  18. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I have an brand new Kenda 270 (I was gonna put it on my 510 third one, really like it for the bush)

Wonder if it's an OK tire for such a heavy bike as the TR? Seen them on a few DR650's.

The 270 has pretty thin side walls. Just not sure... Anyone try them before?

[IMG]
    Tinken likes this.
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Compared with the tires that came with the bike?
  20. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50