The true weight of some common 630 mods.......

Discussion in '610/630' started by Huskyfly, Sep 12, 2011.

1. deepcdiver Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would have kept it but have seen two reports of it breaking off in the dirt, and from my 610 I know that will happen first time I head to Baja. So might as well remove it intact and save it for the day I sell the 630 along with all the other stuff that has been removed.
  2. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

It's not like they gonna throw you into jail just because you have a tail on your 630 that doesn't look as stupid as the original :busted:
  3. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

True ... but I´d like one that comes somewhat nearer to being legal. Don´t want to provoke them into taking a really close look at my bike when I´m stopped.
  4. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Stock grab handles weigh 1.2 lbs. So net weight gain for Husky rack is really only 1.1 lbs!

_
  5. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    Cool! I installed my TT/Husky rack and took some photo's....I'll add them later. My scale only does .5lbs ncramints so yours sounds more acurate than mine My scale registered 1.5 pounds for the stock Husky rack with hardware and 3.0lbs for the TT/Husky rack with hardware.

On a side note, the TT/Husky rack......IS A GREAT RACK!! :eek::p:D
  6. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    No hassles here... :D
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Huskyfly likes this.
  7. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well......I was a little busy all day today.

Tore the darn thing apart to install a Lynx Fairing. I had a bunch of modifications to make to the dash after goofing up and installing my heated grip switch on one of the holes for the instrument cluster.....oops!! :banghead: :censored: :cry: :lol: Had to basically re-fabricate a whole new dash.:rolleyes: I must be a bad mechanic because I was at all fraking day.:lol: I will say this.........I LOVE working on this bike!! It's a breeze to get to anything and I actually understand the layout.....at least for the most part!

The Lynx fairing comes with very straight forward instructions and is relatively easy to install. The kit's been a great mod so far! I LOVE the lights, opted for the HID's!! The hardest part was figuring out which light was the high beam and which was the low beam......got the wires crossed at first! Blinded myself for 30 minutes getting them straightened out and adjusted properly! :lol:

Here's some pic's.....

The dash is just beginning to be modded in one of the pics, made much bigger cutouts for the left and right cabling. I also decided to center the instrument cluster as I must have a hidden OCD problem :p......I didn't care for the cluster being off center. I'll take a photo of the completed operation tomorrow.

I did take some weight measurements, JUST to see what it was.......:p

Attached Files:

8. deepcdiver Husqvarna
    AA Class

how much does tht Lynx kit weigh would you say? I like them...
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'd like to know your feelings of how the bike handles wind while at 75 mph? How much turbulance do you experience? How effective is the adjustable windshield? Overall additonal weight added to the bike?
  10. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have the Lynx on my TE630. I rode it on the Trans Labrador Highway in September. I did a 560 mile day on the superslab from Cheticamp, NS to Bangor ME at 75 mph. That would've been brutal without the Lynx! Speed greater than 60mph is very tiring with the stock setup.
  11. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    look at the photo's, it's there, about 4lbs.
  12. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Good choice Huskyfly. Now you've got all that space to mount yer gadgets and whatnot. If you ever notice your headlight beam shaking a little too much on the road signs or whatever, take a close look at the adhesive. I rode for weeks with it like that thinking it was the thin abs dash flexing. Took it apart...lights looked okay....then I tugged on the light and saw it detach on the low beam side right where the adhesive is attached to the fairing. Otherwise I wouldn't have known. Seems like it had a poor bond. I JB welded it and it's holding solid so far. Anyways, congrats!
  13. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hmmm, I'll look at it tomorrow. So far the only major thing is that my heated grips don't seem to be working properly. I think it's where it gets it's power from as before it was connected the parking light which now are not connected to anything.....not a closed loop?!

Yeah I really did a number on the dash, mostly refitting and adjusting holes and spaces. I decided I wanted the dash centered so I redid all new holes for the instrument cluster. I ended up using the smaller far left hole for my heated grips. Now I need to find a new power source for them as they don't seem to be heating.....or at least heating only on low?!

Here's some pic's.

Attached Files:

14. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here's the finished bike!! I LOVE THIS HUSKY ! That fairing and the bar raisers makes it look like a mini Dakar bike.......SO COOL!!:banana::cheers::applause:

At first I wasn't too sure about the cost, yes I still think it's on the spendy side but man it seems to come very well built, very nice lights ( I opted for both HID's.....WOW do they work!), very good instructions and overall a relatively easy install. Yes it took me a bit of work but it was mostly of my own choosing as I redid the dash and added a few other little things to the bike. I think if your a good wrench and you didn't do any mods to the original setup you should be able to do this kit in about 2-4 hrs. I'm just slow......I took all day!! The bike and I spooned. :busted: :lol:

Attached Files:

15. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice work! You have the same heated grips as I do and the switch in the same location on the Lynx. I opted for the standard location on the dash to have room for my GPS. The Zumo is a tight fit.
    [IMG]
  16. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just wondering which power source you used for your heated grips? My previous setup was installed by the dealer and seems to have power coming from the parking light but of course the parking lights are not hooked up on this fairing.

Also, how did you mount the GPS to the dash? Is it attached to the dash or do you have a bracket behind which the GPS mount is mounted then attached to the dash?? How is the vibration?? I thought of orginially mouting the GPS to a RAM mount from the bars or gaurds fearing the DASh might vibrate too much during heavy pounding in the dirt.
  17. JoiseyJanet Husqvarna
    AA Class

My partner used the tail light for a switched source, tapping into it with a Posilock tap, and using a small 3-circuit fuse box from Eastern Beaver with the GPS and Battery Tender to unswitched power and the heated grips and heated clothing controller to switch-controlled power.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html

http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

-Janet
  18. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Zumo is a tight fit. I used 1/2" stand-offs that I bought at the Hardware store, along with longer screws to mount the Zumo mount to. Vibration has not been an issue at all with the Zumo and I have had no trouble with it. It just barely fits the dash and the nut on the top edge of the dash has to be removed before the Zumo can be removed from it's mount.
    I used the 'unused' parking light wire for the Zumo. The HID low beam draws much less current than the stock headlamp, so, I spliced the hot wire for the heated grips into the low beam headlight circuit. The heated grips only draw something like 35 watts on the "High" setting which is about the same as the wattage saved by using the HID vs the standard lamp. The only additional feed back to the battery was for the Powerlet outlet in the dash, all of the rest of the terminations were done in the dash using the 'Posi Lock' connections. It took a bit of cyphering to get it all sorted out, but, like you, I took my time and I'm happy with the end result.
    I should add that I used a Dremel to add a radius to the Lynx fairing where the turn signals are on each side. It was a tight fit without the radius and the lenses for the turn signals were pointing down too much for my taste.
  19. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just wait until you get that Husky out onto the Freeway @ 75mph, the difference between the Lynx and stock will be very apparent! The Lynx is very effective!
  20. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

Not more than 10 ounces...:cheers:

[IMG]
    Huskyfly likes this.