TERRAFORMERS

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Kenneth Webb, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Allen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda NH750
    Can this be the new official bike of the US army?
    Moff69 likes this.
  2. BikingEngineer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Kaw. EX500, 1981 Honda CM400C
    That's an awesome addition on the skidplate. I'm stealing the idea if you don't mind.
  3. RuggedExposure Now with more rugged!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350
    Go for it!
  4. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Well done HF! Glad I could help.
  5. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    If you can't get those bushings from Fab1, I found 3/8" iron pipe works very well. I sleeved them with bonze bushings for a snug fit around the mounting bolts.
    TE250Guy and FabOneUp like this.
  6. Ken Linn Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    ZX10R, FZ-1
    Kenneth, Beautiful work, I know I speak for a lot of 650 owners out there. I'm sorry to jump out of the thread topic so far - bare with me I'm just getting started but, where did you get your fat bar mounts. I'm headed down to the machinist in the morning to bore out the OEM 7/8' champs but I like yours with the single top plate. Thanks, Ken
  7. Ken Linn Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    ZX10R, FZ-1
    Hey Ken, Thank you again for sharing with us. I just noticed you have upgraded your shift lever, gotta have one. Aftermarket or just something you knocked out in your spare time? I hope to reciprocate your generosity in the near future. I am working on cleaning up the fuel curve and exhaust note on my Strata. It's getting hot down here in FL and the lean fuel fixture is cooking my legs. I have a power commander five coming next week and I'm getting close to a set of slip -on's that will help with the sewing machine exhaust note and the 15 lbs of catalyst we're carrying around now.
  8. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    More info on the exhaust please!
  9. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Who did you get your PCV from? DynoJet has been shipping them for a few weeks now but stores like Motorcycle Superstore and Revzilla (both about $100 cheaper tha DJ) dont have them yet.
  10. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Did you buy direct from DynoJet? Everyone else said their distributors wont have them in stock until 5/15/2013.
  11. RuggedExposure Now with more rugged!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350
    Which model of trail stand is that or did you make it yourself? Can you remove the front wheel with it in that position or did you drill another hole up front?
  12. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I drilled a hole up front too so that I can remove the front wheel as well. The Terra is heavy, and with the side stand not really locking forward (almost a suicide side stand), before I tried to lift the rear I would use a strap or stront line to tie the side stand forward so that it can't collapse. Not a problem on most bikes, but I don't trust this one. This is not generally an issue when lifting the front wheel for removal. Use your judgment on the rear, and maybe have a second person give you a hand the first time you try it. Like I said, heavy bike!

As to the trail stand, I found it on the WR250 Forum and don't know if they are still made or not. I found the maker recently and forwarded his email to a friend, but I'll need to dig that up again. When I do, I'll post. Meanwhile, there are other trail stand makers, but I like this one a lot. It's all aluminum and has done a great job on all my bikes, and quite a few of my friends too!
    RuggedExposure likes this.
  13. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
  14. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Just had the pleasure of reading this thread start to finish. THANK YOU to all of the contributors. Great Stuff!
  15. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    My latest addition is the small Husky accessory windscreen. I tried a taller screen and it was not quite what I wanted; pushed the air too high for me. The Husky screen, although short and relatively expensive, seems to do just what I need. It pushes the "hole" behind the screen up to my shoulders/neck and leaves my helmet in clear air. It's amazingly effective for such a short screen and I think it's the little lip at the top that does the trick. It won't be for everyone, I know, but it doesn't affect my view forward at all and definitely keeps the blast off of my chest. In a strong cross wind it won't do as well, especially compared to my previous road bike, a BMW R1200RT, but I don't expect it to. All in all, I like!
    mario33, HuskyDude, nev.. and 2 others like this.
  16. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I'm sure the OEM windscreen was air tunnel tested to get just the right angle to accomplish this.:thumbsup:
  17. chickabee Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    always in front of me!
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha xt250
    Did you ever get your seat installed? And how does your wife like it?
  18. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    She went from 20 minutes till she compained - to - about an hour now. The problem is there is really not enough perch up there for her to sit on. I am a big guy and apparently I invade a bit of her space. If she had a nother inch or two before her rear makes contact with the rack, she would be fine.

20130511_163022.jpg
    chickabee likes this.
  19. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    Ok, I'm at the point where I've got some projects I'd like to get going on, going to see if I can't add to this thread shortly with a top rack.

This is still related to terraformers, so don't take it as a thread jack. What I'm looking at doing for the top rack is using some 1/2" steel tube. Bending and welding it to give a strong base. Using probably some 1/8 solid round to bend into tie points. Then either making my own aluminum or HDPE plate for it, or picking up something that looks reasonable and bolting it to the frame. I'd like to go with probably a smaller pelican style case up there for commuting (most of the time), but I want to build it functional enough to handle week long camping trips.

For the side racks, I'll either make my own from the br-moto parts, or buy the pre-made one. I like the style of it and the price is good, so I'll likely just buy it pre-fabbed and call it good.

With that in mind, there are a couple tools I'll need to pick up:
    1. Bender - I was thinking this http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-top-bar-and-rod-bender-38471.html
    2. Welder - I have access to a MIG I've used quite a bit at my dad's house, but I'd like to get set up in my own shop a bit. I don't have a 230v access in my garage, so I'm looking for a 115v arc (possibly with tig option) setup. Yeah, it's not the best setup, but I can't think of a time I've needed to weld thicker than what one of these can handle. There are several of these out there, and there is a wide range of price (and quality, I assume). HF has an 80 amp inverter arc ($150), Northern tool has their st80i arc ($180) with a tig option for $80 extra, and there is the Thermal Arc 95s stick/tig setup that runs around $450, but includes some needed extras as well.
    **To minimize the thread jack, if you've got any recommendations, PM me and I'll just update this post with any recommendations for a terraformer starter setup.
  20. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Fab is going to have some good input for you. His setup is something to shoot for! Get the best equipment you can.